• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate Finale Will Not Air on Toonami

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I am in kind of an agreement with those that say they shouldn't have aired Hellsing Ultimate. The main reason why I was rewatching Hellsing Ultimate was the expectation of seeing the Finale for the first time.

Now I am just utterly disappointed. Feels like we fell for the old 'bait and switch' tactic.

Wonder if Funimation lied to Toonami/Adult Swim about this or made promises they were unable to fulfill. Or was Toonami/Adult Swim in on it too.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I love the uninformed hatred towards Funi. The way people with no knowledge of the way the industry works run lines about how it's all Funi's fault and they need to burn in hell. Rolling Eyes

Now I preface my opinion with with the knowledge that I have no idea what's going on:

I personally think that contract issues with the license popped up. Vague wording, etc. led to Funi believing they had rights to air it on TV, Funi starts putting it on TV, people in Japan find out and claim Funi doesn't have the rights, Funi tries to convince them that they either have the rights or that they want to get the rights (meanwhile the OVA's they do have the rights to are making it on TV), the people in Japan either want to much money or the whole thing is trapped in some sort of legal-hell of paperwork and complaints. Funi now doesn't have the rights to show it on TV, and if Funi does they'll be sued since they didn't work it out on time, so they explain to the situation Toonami, and Toonami announces it on twitter with the line: "We encourage you to finish the story where you can find it" Which if it was a dumbass marketing ploy would instead say something along the lines of 'Buy the release from Funi', instead of the clearly shifty sounding line possibly saying that they're okay with people watching it illegally. (Possibly a 'Take That!' to the people behind the licensing problem over in Japan)
Lawliet07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Wow, Titan is getting re-runned in the opening slot? Jesus Christ, I'm glad I stopped watching. This block has gone down the shitter.

1 out of several million viewers jumping ship, boo hoo.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Wow, Titan is getting re-runned in the opening slot? Jesus Christ, I'm glad I stopped watching. This block has gone down the shitter.

Uh... please, tell me why one show being rerun in the first slot automatically makes the next 2 1/2 hours of new programming totally worthless. Laughing
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
I love the uninformed hatred towards Funi. The way people with no knowledge of the way the industry works run lines about how it's all Funi's fault and they need to burn in hell. Rolling Eyes

Now I preface my opinion with with the knowledge that I have no idea what's going on:

I personally think that contract issues with the license popped up. Vague wording, etc. led to Funi believing they had rights to air it on TV, Funi starts putting it on TV, people in Japan find out and claim Funi doesn't have the rights, Funi tries to convince them that they either have the rights or that they want to get the rights (meanwhile the OVA's they do have the rights to are making it on TV), the people in Japan either want to much money or the whole thing is trapped in some sort of legal-hell of paperwork and complaints. Funi now doesn't have the rights to show it on TV, and if Funi does they'll be sued since they didn't work it out on time, so they explain to the situation Toonami, and Toonami announces it on twitter with the line: "We encourage you to finish the story where you can find it" Which if it was a dumbass marketing ploy would instead say something along the lines of 'Buy the release from Funi', instead of the clearly shifty sounding line possibly saying that they're okay with people watching it illegally. (Possibly a 'Take That!' to the people behind the licensing problem over in Japan)

I do agree about all the hatred for Funi and jumping to conclusions with 0 evidence. But Funi has said they have the broadcasting rights to Vol 9 or 10. I still assume that it's other licensing/contract issues preventing this though.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/525714976854781953
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:

Yeah, it is uninformed. All we got was, "we are not showing it, sorry, go fend for yourselves little fishes".

And yes, you could be right, it could be some industry squabble. Expectations were raised, and then midway through crushed. A pound of flesh is typically required. So until Funimation addresses the issue, they are it.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
GiriOni wrote:

Yeah, it is uninformed. All we got was, "we are not showing it, sorry, go fend for yourselves little fishes".

And yes, you could be right, it could be some industry squabble. Expectations were raised, and then midway through crushed. A pound of flesh is typically required. So until Funimation addresses the issue, they are it.

Ever heard of those things they do in contracts that prevent people from talking about things? Nondisclosure agreements and all. Those apply to companies too. They'll likely be flesh until contracts are killed.

As for the tweet on having the rights. Things don't look too good there. But it wouldn't be the first time someone posting on a company twitter account was misinformed. I think the info is probably true, but Funi and misinformation have been best buds lately.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Well no skin off my nose, my copy has already shipped from rightstuf.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Nice advertising ploy, Funimation. But now not only am I not going to buy Hellsing Ultimate, but I'm basically done with your mouthpiece, Toonami.

If Toonami couldn't secure every episode for broadcast, they never should have aired any of it.

There's so much wrong with that post, I don't even know where to start lol.
dbzmike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Leland Lee wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Nice advertising ploy, Funimation. But now not only am I not going to buy Hellsing Ultimate, but I'm basically done with your mouthpiece, Toonami.

If Toonami couldn't secure every episode for broadcast, they never should have aired any of it.

There's so much wrong with that post, I don't even know where to start lol.

How about with the fact that Viz owns Naruto and Bleach, Aniplex own Gurren Lagann and Manga Entertainment owns GITS: SAC?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Hah, oh wow. So for months now we've been told that Toonami will air the entire Hellsing Ultimate series and just now they announce that they won't air the final 2 episodes (which magically are available on home release for the first time here).

Hah, wow, what a blatant crock lie. Lull in viewers and then try and pinch as many pennies as you can with deception and the advertising on Toonami. If they had just been up front from the beginning that they would only allow up to episode VIII to be shown then obviously there wouldn't be any backlash. But no, they deserve the animosity for this bait-and-switch tactic.
Adamb15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
"Where you can find it"

I don't understand why they can't simply stream the missing episode online for people. They can probably put a large amount of advertisements in there for funi if that will appease the bastards.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Strange and unfortunate. I wonder why this happened? I don't know anything about licensing and things, but I feel that either this was deliberate or that it was a mistake that never should have happened. Just, how does this happen?
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Adamb15 wrote:
"Where you can find it"

I don't understand why they can't simply stream the missing episode online for people. They can probably put a large amount of advertisements in there for funi if that will appease the bastards.

Now that I think about it, all people have to do is get the 14 day free trial and watch the rest in English without waiting. Just watch the episodes and cancel if that's all you're after.

KENZICHI wrote:
Strange and unfortunate. I wonder why this happened? I don't know anything about licensing and things, but I feel that either this was deliberate or that it was a mistake that never should have happened. Just, how does this happen?

Japanese licensing contracts are notoriously confusing. Sometimes the English distributers aren't actually getting what they thing they are, be it an issue with the usage rights, music rights, what footage they're getting (broadcast vs home video), or even translations. This is one of the major reasons why anime releases get delayed over here. I think there was a recent Answerman that explained this well.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4