• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Johnny Yong Bosch as Makoto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I was mistaken about JYB being unlikely to be in it and boy am I so glad I was. I just hope I don't end up hearing Yukio every time he speaks, lol.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@Haruhi convo:

OKAY I'm satisfied now. I'm not familiar with dubs so I kept on imagining Lelouch or Ichigo's voice with Johnny's but hearing a clip of Koizumi makes me think that he'll done a good job as Makoto as those two have a similar personality even in the Japanese dubbed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, is there anything nowadays that Johnny Yong Bosch is NOT in?

I wonder how he'll approach this one. He doesn't have the vocal range like Vic Mignogna, Eric Vale, or even Roger Craig Smith; I consider myself pretty bad at recognizing voices, but I can consistently identify him any time I hear him on TV.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

yes. none of sentai's shows and a very large majority of funimation shows
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be very hard to forgive Funi for casting Greg Ayres as Nagisa. But if every other casting choice is as good as this and J Michael Tatum as Rei... this might just work after all.

I mean, if the casting choices are all being made by the same people they obviously know what they're doing to some degree so maybe they're onto something. Usually when I think Greg Ayres isn't going to be right for a role it turns out to be just as bad if not even worse than I expect it to be. Then again, Funimation aren't nearly as dumb as Sentai
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I mean, if the casting choices are all being made by the same people

the brand manager probably has some input, but I do believe casting is all on the ADR director
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
That's it watching this in subs only Mad
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
That's it watching this in subs only Mad

What's wrong, did JYB come over to your house and personally piss in your coffee? Rolling Eyes

The nerve of some people, I swear. So much unnecessary, misdirected hatred.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll representatives said at Pacific Media Expo this past weekend that they do not intend to sit on the rights, and asked fans to look forward to future developments.

Thats kinda interesting. Could mean anything, but I wonder if it's possible there will be an announcement about S1 to cap off the week.

All in all I'm a little amused by this casting choice. My ideal was for JYB to play Haru sospoiler[ he could be the swimming version of the Persona 4 main] but I didn't expect he would be in the show at all. He should make a nice Haru though, it's a good fit.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
gojira89 wrote:
Correction, this is only the 3rd cast announcment for this show not the 4th.

Right, and as it says the fourth announcement will be made Thursday (tomorrow). I can see how it's misleading, though, so we'll do a better subheadline tomorrow.
Manwards

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Shame they can only do the second series, especially as there's so much continuity with the first series. To a newcomer it'd feel really jarring to have them talk about events they haven't seen. Hopefully they can sort out the rights at some point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

yes. none of sentai's shows and a very large majority of funimation shows

True. I just get my anime mostly through Toonami, so I hear a lot of him constantly there.

Panzer Vor wrote:

What's wrong, did JYB come over to your house and personally piss in your coffee? Rolling Eyes

While I wouldn't be amused as it happens, that'd definitely be quite the conversation starter for the rest of my life.
OmegaWoobie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:25 am Reply with quote
I can dig it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
meggu wrote:
I am ok with this. I like this a lot.

Johnny's role as Koizumi in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya immediately comes to mind when I imagine him voicing Makoto. That warm-hearted kind of voice he uses with Koizumi will definitely marry well with Makoto's similar disposition.

I dig this.

well there are some that dont. though i can get cause of the role as koizumi that he would be perfect as makoto, however he's voiced so many characters that people liked to hate that there are some are calling it a mega mistcast.

Not to mention it had to cost funi a serious crapload of money to have him do the role as an independent VA for this series. If funi was outsourcing the series to like Bang Zoom or Studiopolis , i would get the move though i would have seen him getting cast as Haru if that was the case. but considering that most are regular funi VA, it definitely didn't make sense moneywise since casting union VA for independent roles costs more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meggu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

well there are some that don't. though i can get cause of the role as koizumi that he would be perfect as makoto, however he's voiced so many characters that people liked to hate that there are some are calling it a mega mistcast.

Ok. Let me get this straight.

You're basically saying some people are not judging the pick based on JYB's ability to tap into Makoto's vocal range and deliver a believable, quality performance, but because people just don't like his past characters? Is that correct?

Sounds like a personal problem that has nothing to do with this current project. I can accept the argument that one doesn't believe he'll deliver a performance that, say, some other voice actor could do better, but to claim he was miscast because people don't like the past characters he has voiced? If that's the case, then no matter how well his performance is received, there would be no pleasing those people. I have a feeling those critics will find something to hate about it just for the sake of hating JYB.

And if that's the case, well. Let them go ahead and hate. Power to them.

So uh. yeah.

But I think I've put too much energy into justifying JYB without actually hearing his performance. I'll wait for the dub to release before hopping to any more predetermined conclusions, thanks.

Quote:
Not to mention it had to cost funi a serious crapload of money to have him do the role as an independent VA for this series. If funi was outsourcing the series to like Bang Zoom or Studiopolis , i would get the move though i would have seen him getting cast as Haru if that was the case. but considering that most are regular funi VA, it definitely didn't make sense moneywise since casting union VA for independent roles costs more.

As for your final point, I don't see how Funimation's money ventures need to be brought into this equation? But clearly you believe otherwise, so let's just agree to disagree here and leave it at that before this topic diverges any further.

EDIT: Oh hey look another cast announcement.

Last edited by meggu on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3