• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - New Super Game Show Bros.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith and Guile, could you please for once leave you're appalling and idiotic biases elsewhere? You make any video game thread painful to read with your unsubtle bashing of anything not made by Japan. We get it already. You could at least stop hiding behind of veil of "oh I'm fair and not at all biased now look at my consistently used and manipulated anit-western media posts". Every post from you 2 and the others like you reads like a Fox News version of a Japanese video game fan.

If you did that maybe you would seem less ignorant in your posts.

Dragon Age is not a dating sim. You could at least be less obvious in your ignorant contempt for the game(probably because it's western). The relationship stuff is a byproduct of other systems and hardly takes up 15% of a 100 hour plus game. I know that was your attempt to just belittle the game for whatever reason(it's western) but that was very dumb.

No. It does not have the best art style or animation. No Bioware game has, so I don't know why thats a point now. The game does not look bad and has amazing scale with quality production vales in voice acting and graphics. There's also tons of content in terms of audio, game world, text, and much more. It's stupid to question where the money went. It's obvious.

Guile, pretty much everything you said was asinine.

First I don't think you know how a graphics engine works.

But lets talk about the dumbest point you put out:

Quote:
. I don't think western developers desire to make attractive females in games. I think they're afraid of being called sexist, or it might just be engine limitations.
Yep, I know you're on that anti-Shonen Jump Weekly brigade who thinks any sort of sexual critique is destroying video games. That the western media is so censored unlike Japan who is super progressive because they show panties. That anytime anyone chose to say "hey I want to make a game where we don't do certain things to female characters" means of course they were forced to do so by feminists because no one could come to this conclusion on thier own and it's wrong anyway because it's not me. You could at least make your narrow minded view point a bit less obvious next time.

No, it has nothing to do with "western developers are scared of feminists" nonsense that you stupidly believe. Plenty of western video games have had "sexy female characters". Batman Arkham, Mortal Kombat, Uncharted, Remember Me, God of War, Halo 4, and so on.

Do Japanese developers tend to have better Female character designs? Yeah in my opinion. Are they better modeled in Japanese games? yes, or well they use to be anyway. Then again Japan has a focus on female characters so they can sell and market them so there's that added bonus as well. Either way your point makes no sense.

It also has nothing to do with engines at least not the way you're trying to push. Character modeling is it's own thing and yes Japanese developers at least at one time seemed so much better at thus. Plus thier asthetic.

Quote:
Frostbite engine isn't that well received for character models and animations and most triple A games emphasize realism over aesthetically pleasing,
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Battlefield 4 had terrific character models and animations. Pretty much all of the Dice lead games have. This is Bioware whose never had that. it sure wasn't the Unreal engine's fault for Mass Effect. No because clearly CC2 was able to make the animation sing in Asura's Wrath. Again is has nothing to do with the engine.

Also you do know realism and aesthetics aren't against each other. What your talking about is art style and even then realism is still an art style that can be messed with. You may not like it, but that dosen't mean it's bad.

Quote:
It becomes a big problem when a lot of games use the same generalized engine like Frostbite or Unreal.
It really dosen't. Plenty of unreal games don't look like each other. Guilty Gear Xrd dosen't look like Battleborne which dosen't look like Asura's Warth which dosen't look like Papo & Yo or Alice: Madness Returns, Batman, Bioshock Infinite, Blade and Soul, Boarderlands, Bulletstorm, Crimsion Dragon, Dishonerd, DMC, Enslaved, Hawken, Killer is Dead, Lost Odyssey, Lolipop Chainsaw, Shadows of the Damned, Theif, and none of them at all look like Gears of War which has it's own specific and iconic look and style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party here… why does Zac hate Soul Calibur III? I thought IV was the bad one, because of the ham-handed insertion of the Star Wars characters into the game.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The thing is, I really only play the handheld Sonic games anymore, since I prefer the lower-tech 2D flat plane platform style of gameplay with Sonic. With the exception of having rented Shadow the Hedgehog once, I haven't played a single console Sonic game since Dreamcast, though I'd probably get Sonic Heroes for PS2 or Gamecube if I saw it at a thrift store for below $5.

Heroes was the last game I actually loved, but maybe it's because I'm a fan of the Chaotix guys.

It just occurred to me that wouldn't Boom be a licensed game, technically? Since it's based on the cartoon, or viceversa. Would explain why it's not very good.

Animehermit wrote:
That's really the only thing I can think of that's been retconned though. Even then, if you didn't kill Lelianna in the first game you won't notice it.

Im not a Dragon Age fan so I can't point out any more specifics like other people probably could, but even 1 retcon is too much for a game that promises you your choices change and affect the world, in my opinion.

Quote:
DAI was the subject of a review brigade over on Metacritic.

What's a review brigade? Do you mean a review embargo where companies wont let people do reviews of a game until after it goes on sale?

User scores are a lot more trustworthy than critic scores when it comes to games these days in my experience. There's usually a good reason why a critic score and a user score would be so polarizing. One is from a marketing outlet, and the other is from the actual consumer. Even if we ignore opinions on mechanics, character model, or writing, DA:I has a lot technical issues in it from what people are reporting. I'm not sure why a lot of AAA games these days have such buggy games, but the fact they can still get good scores despite this is kind of troubling. I wish reviews were more like Consumer Reports, but I guess the marketing part of the industry is too entrenched in the publishing part at this point to hope for that.

Maybe I'm just magically clairvoyant, but I pretty much never rely on reviews to see if I'll like a game. Just hearing about it, who's behind it, and what it's about is enough to tell me if I'll like something or not. Just knowing Persona Q is Etrian Odyssey + Persona is all I need to know that Ill love that game. Same thing with Smash Bros Wii U. Likewise, knowing DA:I is a Bioware RPG and Call of Duty is a Activision shooter tells me already I won't enjoy them. To me at least, knowing if I'll like a game or not is extremely easy.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:

User scores are a lot more trustworthy than critic scores when it comes to games these days in my experience. There's usually a good reason why a critic score and a user score would be so polarizing. One is from a marketing outlet, and the other is from the actual consumer. Even if we ignore opinions on mechanics, character model, or writing, DA:I has a lot technical issues in it from what people are reporting. I'm not sure why a lot of AAA games these days have such buggy games, but the fact they can still get good scores despite this is kind of troubling. I wish reviews were more like Consumer Reports, but I guess the marketing part of the industry is too entrenched in the publishing part at this point to hope for that.

Well hey, if you trust the words of "KawiiGirlsLuvme1993" over that of someone with an actual name, face, and reputation then I'm not going to stop you...

Quote:

Maybe I'm just magically clairvoyant, but I pretty much never rely on reviews to see if I'll like a game. Just hearing about it, who's behind it, and what it's about is enough to tell me if I'll like something or not. Just knowing Persona Q is Etrian Odyssey + Persona is all I need to know that Ill love that game. Same thing with Smash Bros Wii U. Likewise, knowing DA:I is a Bioware RPG and Call of Duty is a Activision shooter tells me already I won't enjoy them. To me at least, knowing if I'll like a game or not is extremely easy.

You better be careful buddy!
You just gave an example of stuff you like. They all happen to be Eastern games.

You compared it to a few examples of stuff you don't like, which are all Western made.

Just saying you may want to watch out. It might make people assume things about you...
Dolza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
What was the multiplayer game Heidi was talking about? Tower Ball? I have no idea what she was referring to.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:39 am Reply with quote
Heh, X107.5 Todd "Got Game?" Cracks me up hearing you. and Shantae? really? then Burning Rangers. Lol. My eyes melted while playing the game.

I'm waiting for more on Fallout 4.

Startropics, cut it out, you making me smile. Never touched Zoda's revenge. I was knee deep in SNES.

That Excitebike course is sad. Could have been so much more.

I want all of Eldorado's Gate on Dreamcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2