• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Diana Garnet Sings Naruto Anime's New Ending Theme

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
if it was anime VA & fan favorites like vic mignona or catlin glass who have sang in japaneese before ,then it might be a little different.

Where did you hear Caitlin and Vic (I don't think I've ever heard Vic sing at all, let alone in Japanese) sing a Japanese song?

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsuukaku478

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Where did you hear Caitlin and Vic (I don't think I've ever heard Vic sing at all, let alone in Japanese) sing a Japanese song?

I know Vic has done English versions of songs from D.N.Angel and Fullmetal Alchemist; you can find them on YouTube. I didn't know he's sung in Japanese, though (has he?).
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
tsuukaku478 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I know Vic has done English versions of songs from D.N.Angel and Fullmetal Alchemist; you can find them on YouTube. I didn't know he's sung in Japanese, though (has he?).

From what i know of, Only Catlin Glass sang in japaneese. that i found on youtube thanks to my sister. as for mignona , I've never searched since i assumed he's not a dual speaker like the other Funi/ADV VA like Palencia , Sabat , Sean , Bailey & Glass. the ones i know of are the english versions of some Openings for anime series.

however your wrong about those anime versions. the only one i know of that he did in english was two Openings for One Piece. I watched DN Angel and FMA and he never did english versions for those series unless their part of some DVD extras since i watched FMA on Adult Swim and DN Angel on Anime Network.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
mdo: Liking a couple anime shows isn't being an otaku. Her being into subculture shit like dating sims and/or model kits would make her closer to an otaku. She's more of a casual viewer. Hell, Garnet being a Naruto fangirl doesn't necessarily mean she's an otaku, either. But the record company is slapping that label on her, because that's who they want to buy her music. 'Cus nothing appeals to male otaku more than the idea that they can hook up with a hottie with the exact same tastes and interests as them.

That's what the whole anime's genre become now, too, with 'I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying' being the most obvious of the bunch.
Karmistral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Hello. If you need further proof on her ability, she used to have a Youtube channel, with which she had to not use anymore due to her contract. But is still up.

She was an active Japanese dubber who joined several group collaborators, and was part of the community I was in. So we support her regardless. Please have a look if you have any more doubts.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
I watched DN Angel and FMA and he never did english versions for those series unless their part of some DVD extras since i watched FMA on Adult Swim and DN Angel on Anime Network.

Actually, he did sing Byakuya and Brother in English. I don't know when or why, but I distinctly remember having listened to both of them long ago. They were never actually used for the show when it aired, though.
Djx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Cool. She's awesome. Should be a big boost to her. Got to see her sing live earlier this month at the Hyper Japan Christmas Market event in London. She was with Joe Inoue, who is producing her first album. It was a fantastic mini-concert.

Some songs from the concert -
Closer (by Joe Inoue) & GO!!! (Diana Garnet & Joe Inoue) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmPaSSQ8fVE

Evangelion theme (Diana Garnet) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS6meF4Dqfc&list=PLo-eaf3BzYJ8dVJS6Yh_DFOTM19vo91nB&index=12

Senbonzakura (Diana Garnet) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enFOHyOXFMA&index=13&list=PLo-eaf3BzYJ8dVJS6Yh_DFOTM19vo91nB

Untitled (Diana Garnet & Joe Inoue) -
(They weren't allowed to reveal the title of the song at the show) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSFBY87WqWk&index=14&list=PLo-eaf3BzYJ8dVJS6Yh_DFOTM19vo91nB

She also performed the day before at the event too.
Here's a clip of an enka song she sang -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu522EAHMx0
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote
She's got this Ellen Page thing going on.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
Never heard of her (and I haven't seen Naruto in a long time) but her singing's pretty good.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:
Quote:
Weekly Shonen Jump describes Garnet as a "super cute 100% American" and an otaku who loves Japanese manga, anime, history and culture.

I'm sorry, but these two words are completely contradictory. No offense to American otakus.

"100% American" is probably talking about her ethnicity, since her status as a singer in Japan is probably going to also be dependent on how interesting she is as a unique phenomenon. There are bilingual singers in Japan who sing both Japanese and English, but she's ethnically American, yet may still sing in Japanese. I do hope her "otaku" attitude is less "weeaboo"-ish. I do not like using that word because I respect fans of Japanese culture, no matter what, but it embodies the kind of attitude that sends the wrong message to Japanese people about American anime fans, so I can at least hope a representative of my country who is similar to myself is mature about her otaku-ness, especially if it becomes a major part of her identity in Japan.

After reading your statement, I will agree with you on that.

GATSU wrote:
mdo: Liking a couple anime shows isn't being an otaku. Her being into subculture shit like dating sims and/or model kits would make her closer to an otaku. She's more of a casual viewer. Hell, Garnet being a Naruto fangirl doesn't necessarily mean she's an otaku, either. But the record company is slapping that label on her, because that's who they want to buy her music. 'Cus nothing appeals to male otaku more than the idea that they can hook up with a hottie with the exact same tastes and interests as them.

There are 12 types of otaku (I think there could be more), and here are some example:

I'm sure there are other otaku beside these 12 I've mention, I'm sure there's a K-pop otaku (like I am for example), drama otakus (people who watch K-dramas/Asian dramas), I think there's more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
I watched DN Angel and FMA and he never did english versions for those series unless their part of some DVD extras since i watched FMA on Adult Swim and DN Angel on Anime Network.

Actually, he did sing Byakuya and Brother in English. I don't know when or why, but I distinctly remember having listened to both of them long ago. They were never actually used for the show when it aired, though.

well i watched it on both anime network and i have the ADV Films DVDs. i haven't heard at all that vic did used his singing voice in DN Angel. its as i said the only ones i know of is One Piece OP #1 & 3. the same with singing in japaneese. though he said that he did some during the FMA Brotherhood Panel. there haven't been any videos of that. Glass is the only Funi VA i know that sang both languages even though most of the funi VA are dual speakers which is highly recommended if a VA wants to also do either the ADR Script role or ADR Director role which is why for most on the series licensed by funi Moical Rial is in either doing ADR Script or Director since she's a dual speaker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2