• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Uzumaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:38 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:

Finally, let’s get to some nitpicking and personal feelings. I really don’t understand why no one left this town, at least Kirie, when s**t was going down. I sort of get why they couldn’t leave towards the ending, but I don’t stand why she couldn’t have left earlier. Hell, the Scar or hair chapter alone should have sent her packing. Sure, “But then there wouldn’t be a story then” would be a response I expect, but I don’t really accept that in this case. Just present me an explanation of why Kirie doesn’t leave town for good in the story. I don’t care how bad it is, just give a reason why she is still there. Also, I hate the ending. I was so not satisfied by what I saw, but more baffled and confused. I won’t say anything so I end up spoiling anything, but the way it ended makes the narration utterly nonsensical to me. Who the hell is the narrator talking to considering the ending?! Last, I can’t connect to these characters at all. Their actions and how they handle things that go on in the story don’t really make much sense to me (Then again, characters in horror stories have been known to make idiotic decisions) and I don’t think they ever really developed enough to fully get their characters down. Sad really.

It's implied the town itself is making the people act a little differently, why no one thought to leave. Shuichi goes to a different school and is able to identify that this town is weird in a way that they ignore the oddness around him. Part of the reason he looks so restless is he's the first to know about the power of the spiral. He says at least once he wants to leave the town and take Kirie with him, but she's an inhabitant and resists. spoiler[Hell she doesn't believe him at all, till her hair turns spirals.] And even then, she still doesn't leave.

I don't think they could have escaped from it, because they are trapped. And I think that's why they all sort of act like stupid dolls, until they are directly in contact with the spiral power.

The ending is... polarizing. It's an escalation of the previous stories, but it changes tone immensely. It makes a sort of sense, but it's very silly if you step back.
As for the narration: spoiler[I think it's just Kirie using her last moments to think back to what led her to where she is going to die.]
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And reading the thing about not calling them zombies reminded me of an short exchange from Shaun of the Dead, greatest zombie comedy ever! (though Tokyo Zombie is quite good too):
"Are there any zombies out there?"
"Don't say that!"
"What?"
"That..."zed"-word"
"Alright alright. Are there any though?"

EXACTLY!! -_- Simon Pegg knows!
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
The ending is... polarizing. It's an escalation of the previous stories, but it changes tone immensely. It makes a sort of sense, but it's very silly if you step back.

I like the ending of the movie, even though it totally jumps out at you without warning. My own admittedly personal interpretation of it is: spoiler[Kirie is in the center of the spiral, at the bottom of the whirlpool lake, spinning around in the lake like Shuichi's father in the washing machine earlier in the story. This is why they keep alluding to the lake throughout the movie, and this is why the final shot is of the lake, even though it doesn't directly relate to the fates of any of the characters in an obvious way like the other shots. We see the horribly mutated dead bodies of everyone except Kirie, one at a time, and then we see the lake. 'Nuff said.]
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow-- I've been reading v01 of this at work the last couple days and I come home to find this article! I'm really enjoying the series so far. I ended up reading it because a friend lent me Gyo, which I loved. So when she subsequently offered me v01 of Uzumaki I said, "H*ll yes." Both series, but especially the latter with its more subtle/psychological horror elements, remind me of Lovecraft (my favorite horror writer) so when I later read in the blurb at the end of the book he's listed as an influence I was greatly pleased that it wasn't just a coincidence. I'm actually pretty excited to find some good manga in a genre I don't normally read and I think I'd like to pick this one up if it's still available (I know one of the volumes of Gyo is hard to find now, which is a shame).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Good call, this was a great manga. I still have those issues of Pulp that I read it serialized in. Even in smaller serial doses this was a very creepy thing to read, never sat down and read it more or less in one shot though.
Monumension

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
You've nailed my main complains about the series; no continuous plot before the last book, and characters behaving way too freaky, even for a horror manga. It was a pain trying to connect with these people (just kill them all I say...), but it's a problem I have with other Ito mangas as well. I do think he's is much better when it comes to short stories. Just read Hellstar Remina and that is his best story as far as I'm concerned. Pure evil.

Still, Uzumaki's got one special thing. One single line that happens to be the best line of monologue in the history of the written word. I've refered to it on this forum before, but it simply cannot be repeated enough:

"After school my hair took me to the station... because it wanted a larger audience."

Classic, classic, classic, classic, classic!!!!!! I was rolling on the floor for several weeks after reading that one. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2