• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo Cosplay Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
SassyRobot wrote:
Good job, cosplayers!

No, not all of them have done a "Good Job." Some don't deserve that praise. Some look sloppy and real hack jobs: others were just plain old poor costume choices that didn't account for certain factors. And I even see one potentially Racially Offensive cosplayer; surprised ANN even allowed that thru.

Cosplaying is an art it takes time and practice and not everyone is going to be absolutely perfect. You also have to consider the cost to cosplay with the economy being so bad and a lot of unemployment its going to be difficult. You don't have to like every costume but at least respect the fact that people are cosplaying for themselves and not for you.

Agent355 Thanks!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
Smart Chick wrote:
You don't have to like every costume but at least respect the fact that people are cosplaying for themselves and not for you.

I don't respect folks who do a miserable job of not looking even halfway decent.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
sokpupet wrote:
Don Quixote Doflamingo has my vote.

Yeah, that's just awesome.

From Bleach? Which pic's that?

No, Donquixote Doflamingo is from One Piece, though he doesn't show up until well into the series. The cosplayer pretty much captured him perfectly, since his personality can be described as "professional troll."

And holy crap, Darth Vader and Boba Fett pimps are win. Very Happy
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
sokpupet wrote:
Don Quixote Doflamingo has my vote.

Yeah, that's just awesome.

From Bleach? Which pic's that?

No, Donquixote Doflamingo is from One Piece, though he doesn't show up until well into the series. The cosplayer pretty much captured him perfectly, since his personality can be described as "professional troll."

And holy crap, Darth Vader and Boba Fett pimps are win. Very Happy

Yep, that guy's from One Piece, definitely did a good job capturing the character. That fellow, along with the charming lady doing the Nico Robin cosplay, seemed like naturals for the characters they portrayed.

Oh yeah, and that Darth Vader/Boba Fett photo was pretty frikkin' hilarious. Laughing That kid doing Princess Peach had a pretty hilarious attitude, too. Also liked that Samurai Vader, Master Roshi, Edward, Chiyo-chan in the penguin suit... Lots of fun and creative cosplays here, I'm overall pretty impressed.
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm really excited to see a Frau there Very Happy 07 Ghost is one of my favorites! Nice job nice job!
KN_guro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why all these people spend so much time and money on costumes, but then wont spend 10 bucks on makeup which would make you look so much better.
Zipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
No matter who wins, we all lose.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
KN_guro wrote:
I don't really get why all these people spend so much time and money on costumes, but then wont spend 10 bucks on makeup which would make you look so much better.

Some of those cosplays would be better with some makeup. The Nel cosplayer on Day 1 is a prime example. Am I seeing things, or does she have three different skin colors in the most unnatural ways?
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So much Hetalia....
SaiyaKaizoku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:27 am Reply with quote
That Hyunkel cosplay of Dai no Daiboken or Las Aventuras de Fly on Day 3 is AWESOME.

Day 2 was dominated by Don Quixote Doflamingo from One Piece.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Without Don Quixote Doflamingo in the final vote, I fear this whole contest has been rendered void. People just don't know a good imitation of a jovially nihilistic bastard when they see one. Shame, really.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
My Top 20:

(Row 1 = 1-10, Row 2 = 11-20)

Regarding #1, since I saw this in person I noticed certain details not evident in the photo. These details are what make the cosplay so good IMHO. Aside from being a very nice outfit, the really cool thing are the wings. They extend & retract at the push of a button. Cooler yet, the entire mechanism was made with LEGO.

Regarding #4, similar story. The outfit is covered by a myriad of lights that change colors.

-t
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Taiga wins my vote, she's so cute, perfect score.
Yoshball

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed that a majority of the finalists are just cute girls in cosplay. There were so many more costumes that were interesting or difficult to pull off, but people ignored that just to vote for people who are good looking, skinny, and female. Isn't this about the costumes?
Jessica Hart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Yoshball wrote:
Isn't this about the costumes?

No, it's about the whole package.. otherwise you get something like Man Faye being 'good' since his costume is accurate. Body type and looks must be taken into consideration for me Smile Cute girls winning cosplay contests is kind of expected; it's a visual contest after all.

That being said, I totally voted for the Dent and Corn cosplayers.. shame they didn't have a third for Pod
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3