• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Ho-ho-hangover

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

ADV later did the same thing with their "pop-up" notes for Excel Saga and Azumanga, but dropped it from the "no-frills" boxsets.

Azumanga Daioh doesn't have pop-up notes (there are some other series besides Excel Saga that had them, like Abenobashi and Pani Poni Dash). The notes for AzuDai are in the booklets with each volume.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Nickelodeon DID try to get involved in the anime craze.

Monsuno, anyone?

(Other than that, the rest is Nicktoons so not quite Nickelodeon).

Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Jake, I'll have you know that Nickelodeon did air The Mysterious Cities of Gold back in the day.

Did they? Internationally, they aired just the sequel series which was produced without any Japanese involvement.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are a TON of anime and manga that have gotten optioned that nobody knows about.

Oooh, tantalizing, I wonder what are some of the animes that got optioned that we don't know about?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Fullmetal Alchemist was probably one of them, simply because it was such a white hot property.

Anyway, I still wish that Cowboy Bebop movie would happen, simply because Bebop has such a unique sci fi setting, that whole blending of the futuristic and the modern, that even to this day feels fresh and it would be cool to see it "brought to life".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
Quote:
There are a TON of anime and manga that have gotten optioned that nobody knows about.

Oooh, tantalizing, I wonder what are some of the animes that got optioned that we don't know about?

Anyway, I still wish that Cowboy Bebop movie would happen, simply because Bebop has such a unique sci fi setting, that whole blending of the futuristic and the modern, that even to this day feels fresh and it would be cool to see it "brought to life".

Mainstream studios are about twenty years behind the fans when it comes to anime awareness--
Even when anime first started becoming A Thing in the 90's, what movie projects did we get?: Speed Racer, Astroboy, Akira, Kimba (you know who...), Star Blazers (which would have been Emmerich & Devlin's next movie after Godzilla '98), and an aborted Gigantor. Rolling Eyes

That we had a live-action Bebop and Paprika on the agenda spoiler[(what, you thought Nolan made up Inception??)] is pretty much down to "The Titles We've Heard Of".
Which Bebop very definitely epitomized, back when it was The One Good Show Showing For Free on Cartoon Network, and most non-fans thought that was the only anime show ever made.
(Which also explains DB: Evolution originally starting out as a live-action DBZ movie.)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Quote:
The better question is why Cartoon Network DID show anime when none of their competitors went for it.

that is kinda obvious. they took a gamble while the rest didn't and it paid off for them since some of the anime they showed were insanely popular in both toonami and on adult swim.

I guess you could say a gamble, but the gamble itself a) didn't happen overnight and b) was done out of interest for anime and action cartoons.

Going back to what Justin Sevakis said about how the people working at Cartoon Network were probably animation enthusiasts, that part likely holds true especially when you consider the guys that started the Toonami block in the first place. It's important to note that when the block began in 1997, the idea was simply to fill in airtime on weekday afternoons with action cartoons. That didn't necessarily mean it had to be anime and yet Sean Atkins and Jason DeMarco basically took it from there. Seans wanted to provide the 3D look to the block while Jason provided the music tracks, but they both clearly expressed more of an interest in Japanese animated programming and other animated action shows than lots of other people in the TV business.

Though Toonami didn't start out with new anime and instead had reruns of Thundercats, Superfriends, Robotech, Voltron, the Max Fleischer Superman shorts (that's where the infamous, "We won't be intimidated by criminal threats" line came from) and reruns of DBZ and Sailor Moon. They didn't get new anime beyond DBZ and Sailor Moon until 1999 and that was just Ronin Warriors. The year 2000 was the big year where they got a bunch of shows from Bandai, Pioneer and a few others, hence why I said the gamble didn't happen overnight. Although I would argue there was probably more of a gamble doing the Total Intermission Events (or T.I.E) like Intruder and Lockdown. Not only did those cost even more money out of their budget to animate those things on top on broadcasting anime and other animated shows, but there was not much of a way for them to immediately know the feedback those got unlikely nowadays with Twitter and other social networks.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I would say there's a slightly higher chance with Maison Ikkoku coming back than there is for UY, just because it's shorter. But Anime Sols could hypothetically fund UY. Anyway, if the Sentai peeps brought back Patlabor, then maybe just maybe they'll consider one of those shows.

Quote:
The better question is why Cartoon Network DID show anime when none of their competitors went for it.

And also because of licensing deals:
They showed Zoids because it was easy to localize for the kiddy afternoons, and then had to take Hamtaro for the youngsters as part of the package--these things always happen in threes--because what they really wanted out of the licensing package was...darn, can't remember, was it Case Closed or InuYasha? Confused This was back in the 00's, can't remember. Point is, to take one from Column A, they had to take two from Column B.

And back when it was still the geek-sober Toonami, and not the snarky-stoner Adult Swim, that opened the floodgates for EVERY anime company to try and get a cable broadcast deal, back when no other network would touch anime. (Sci-Fi had long since had enough of Streamline and CPM.)
And while Pioneer got good ratings for Sailor Moon S/SuperS and all of Tenchi TV, and Bandai's Bebop and Outlaw Star found their demographic, it got to the point that the network realized they'd become an "orphanage" for every anime company to get their disk-dubs on the air--And sort of wished they weren't that popular with the anime companies, if it meant having to sell the more obscure and less-marketable newer disk-breakout series like Witch Hunter Robin or Wolf's Rain, which were popular with "teh geek" enthusiasts, but just try and get breakout ratings for them. They could be CN or they could be Crunchyroll, airing strange new current series, and the latter prospect didn't appeal to them.
And their own tastes for Bebop-ish noir meant they weren't even going to look at comedies, unless it was something "x-treem" enough to demographically fit in with their pottymouthed Adult Swim belches, like Shin-chan, or Lupin III's crass redubbing.

Basically, anime is still dependent on loving a channel that has long since stopped loving them back...Today on Oprah. Crying or Very sad

EmperorBrandon wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

ADV later did the same thing with their "pop-up" notes for Excel Saga and Azumanga, but dropped it from the "no-frills" boxsets.

Azumanga Daioh doesn't have pop-up notes (there are some other series besides Excel Saga that had them, like Abenobashi and Pani Poni Dash). The notes for AzuDai are in the booklets with each volume.

(Wait, am I wrong in remembering AzD pop-ups with the white and black kittens, explaining Tomo's "Chinsuko!" joke from the class-trip episode, on the single-volume disks, or am I getting it confused with Excel Saga?)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
1thought

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyone can probably license the anime of Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku.
It's just they wouldn't be able to license the manga.

Viz hasn't reprinted the Maison Ikkoku manga and probably never will since they don't reprint anything.Even though it's on their website and they claim you can buy a print copy.

Viz has exclusive rights to Shogakukan titles but don't release anything out of Big Comics the seinen stuff in Japan.

And I gotta wonder how many people are really buying Ranma.
Sure the Blu Ray has great video quality. But the subtitles on Viz releases are nearly impossible to read while watching.
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Cartoon Network sure didn't think twice about throwing Anime under the bus when that Pokemon seizure incident occurred. By the way Speed Racer and Voltron aren't anime.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Nickelodeon DID try to get involved in the anime craze.

Monsuno, anyone?

(Other than that, the rest is Nicktoons so not quite Nickelodeon).

Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Jake, I'll have you know that Nickelodeon did air The Mysterious Cities of Gold back in the day.

Did they? Internationally, they aired just the sequel series which was produced without any Japanese involvement.

Yeah, the only anime Nicktoons wants now are both LBX and Digimon. They should NEVER have picked up the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime franchise in the first place. Also, Nickelodeon (and most other kids' networks, except Disney X D AND Nicktoons) only focuses on comedy, and many of their action shows (acquired or original) have failed (only exceptions: original Avatar, Danny Phantom, Saban's Power Rangers, TMNT 2012) for various reasons.

Last edited by ReNellGlover on Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
By the way Speed Racer and Voltron aren't anime.

I can't say much about Voltron (since I've never heard much of it in my earlier years, let alone watched it), but which version of Speed Racer you say "doesn't" fall into the anime category: the 1960's version or the 1993 version (The New Adventures of Speed Racer)?
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
Cartoon Network sure didn't think twice about throwing Anime under the bus when that Pokemon seizure incident occurred. By the way Speed Racer and Voltron aren't anime.

Yes, they are (well, the 1966/1967 and 1997 Speed Racer and Lion/Vehicle Voltron, anyway). Pokémon is the ONLY anime that's still running on both CN AND Boomerang now (although Pokémon HAS been the only anime on Boomerang); all other anime (Tenkai Knights, Beyblade, Bakugan, Scan2Go, etc.) have left the network permanently and I don't see them picking up any more (Adult Swim/Toonami 2012 don't count; AS/T2012 is now the only network on U.S. TV with not-kid-friendly anime)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

If any fan from after the mail-order-VHS days remembers Lum at all nowadays, they remember her from CPM's Beautiful Dreamer dub airing on Sci-Fi Channel, because that company was able to get a professional English dub into the circuit.

There was also Matthew Sweet's "I've Been Waiting" music video, which is what got me interested in Urusei Yatsura in the first place although, due to not having access to the Internet at the time, I didn't even know what the character, Lum, or the series she starred in was called until at least a year after the video first started playing on MusiquePlus. I finally learned the name of the anime when I saw a short article about the Japan-only Urusei Yatsura Sega Mega Drive CD game in one of the videogame magazines of the day, probably Electronic Gaming Monthly.

To be honest, I'm fine with the quality of the old AnimEigo DVDs of the Urusei Yatsura TV series, so I wouldn't crowd fund any Blu-Ray re-releases of that, but I'd consider doing that for the movies, especially Beautiful Dreamer, still my favourite anime film (although The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is inching closer to that status), and maybe some of the OVAs, particularly Inaba the Dream Keeper, which I believe was the source for the plurality, if not the majority, of the individual shots in the Matthew Sweet "I've Been Waiting" video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
@ReNellGlover

I had no idea Beyblade (and the other anime shows) came to an end on Cartoon Network. Did they end on their last episodes, or was there more to show before they were off-air?
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Drac wrote:
By the way Speed Racer and Voltron aren't anime.

I can't say much about Voltron (since I've never heard much of it in my earlier years, let alone watched it), but which version of Speed Racer you say "doesn't" fall into the anime category: the 1960's version or the 1993 version (The New Adventures of Speed Racer)?

I was making a joke about when Cartoon Network Vice President of programming Mike Lazzo assured parents that they didn't air Anime. When they pressed him about CN running both Speed Racer and Voltron he said they weren't Anime and lied to prove his point.

Edit: Here's the quote. Just scroll down to page 7.
http://iafor.org/Journal/asian-studies/V1I1articles/4.F_Jason_Bainbridge.pdf

Last edited by Drac on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
@Drac

Oh, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

I can see why Mike had to resort to doing that. If I correctly recall, much of the mainstream populace back then wasn't used to seeing foreign media, let alone anime shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5