• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Son of a Gunbuster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The subtitles on the DVD edition of Gunbuster were total crap.

My brother had given me a DivX copy he had made from the VHS tapes. The subtitles looked a lot better, and made more sense. Unfortunately, since he made it from the VHS tapes he had bought over 20 years ago, the image quality was terrible.

So I decided I needed to re-do it, and I bought the DVD. Unfortunately, it looked like the subtitles were almost an afterthought at Bandai - as if they were about to start production of the DVDs, and someone suddenly said, "Hey, we forgot subtitles!" The font they used was ugly, and it looked like they were translated by someone who had at best a very limited knowledge of English (instead of just using the ones from the original videos). Not only that, but the timing of many of the titles wasn't even close to the action on the screen. So when I turned the DVD into a new DivX file to play using my media player, I used the VHS version and completely redid the subtitles myself.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know the full story behind the effects and music tracks being lost for the original series? I had no idea about that, and would love to know why that's a thing that happened to what I consider to be one of the most prolific anime productions to date.

Slightly off-topic, I'd be kind of happy if the EVA copyright was totally in the hands of Khara (and consequently, Anno) now. Gainax has taken a nose-dive in recent years, the last thing I actually enjoyed by them being PSG. Even then, the brunt of the staff that worked on that branched off into their own studios. What's left, to me, is a studio devoid of any real originality or spirit, cranking out bland moe show after bland moe show. It's a bit sad, and not unlike what happened to KyoAni.

So yeah. The EVA copyright is safer and less likely to be trotted out for some dumb stuff in the hands of Khara, I feel.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Nice article about one of my favourite anime OVA's Smile
I remember the first time I watched it (on Sci-fi in the UK), I barely made it past the first episode, now it's one of my favourites and the last episode always gets to me.

Apollo-kun, I've heard various possibilities, but the one that strikes me as most likely is simply that at the time they didn't really think about the M&SFX tracks after they'd done the mixing and either lost or wiped them. I suspect we'll never know the full details.

I would love to see a well dubbed Gunbuster, if just to open it up to people that don't normally go for sub only releases, but it would probably cost a fortune to do Sad
Unfortunately in the UK we don't even have a reasonable Sub only release (and I think the poor quality, straight from VHS, slightly edited sub only DVD release from 2002 is long out of print).

/hugs US DVD he picked up cheap in a sale.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
There was either an ANNCast (or other podcast) or some magazine article somewhere, where the subject was a former employee of U.S. Renditions (though I doubt that that particular attribute was his main reason for being interviewed).
I believe that he mentioned wanting to try cutting some CDs somewhere that had the OST (possibly with the effects mixed in, I can't remember) for a new M&E track but didn't. It's worth looking through the ANNcast episodes that had industry interviews to see if it's there, but I don't think the Gunbuster discussion was anything special in that interview IF I am remembering it correctly.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
I saw both Gunbuster and Diebuster {Why Diebuster over Gunbuster 2? Why Gunbuster in the first place? I'd prefer to call it Diebuster 0}...

Uh, yeah, those two series. I saw them and that's all I can say about it. More cohesive than FLCL? Has a narrative even if a nagging one? If the last episode wasn't in black and white with that ending, we wouldn't be talking about it now?

I have more of an opinion on Petit Princess Yucie than these OVA things. "Hard science fiction" is getting one thing right about time relativistic effects at near light speeds {Mass? Don't ask}, the giant robots fighting "giant" Lovecraftian monsters/spaceship aliens...things don't apply {no matter how many times I reread the article, I see no mention of the enemy, these things or whatever they were. "Not important"? I'm still trying to figure out why they were so big, let alone how big they were} to anything really. Even Toho, makers of human sized gorilla aliens fighting giant monsters, both filmed in the same size costumes, would look at them and say "Yeah, we're not doing that, that's stupid."

Don't get me started on the "twist" in Diebuster {I don't want to explain what "twist" I'm talking about as there are people here who haven't seen it but if you've seen it, you've face palmed, right? }. These OVAs are episodes by Otakus for Otakus, even more than the original series which at least had the excuse of "We never knew when the next episode would get green lit". I loved the opener as that deserves a sequel but I'd rather forget I ever saw the show, also like FLCL.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I get the reason why Gunbuster couldn't be dubbed, but even at this day I'm still baffled why Diebuster didn't get a dub when it came out years ago. It had all the elements that could appeal to fans back then (maybe even be on Adult Swim), and it shouldn't have that missing M&E tracks issue, right?

If Diebuster wasn't dubbed for the American public it was only for one reason : cost. Maybe the powers that be reasoned that the cost would be too much for a 6 episode OAV. Missing M&E has nothing to do with Diebuster, it was a Gunbuster problem.
In Italy, Diebuster was dubbed, but the OAV was sold in singles, 6 single dvd's each with japanese extras + booklet. Almost 30 $ each. So 180 $ for the whole OAV series. Would American fans have spent so much ? I doubt it. Hence why you got only a subbed version.

As for the Chariots of fire ripoff track in Gunbuster, in Italy we had Gunbuster published with that track. The only problem was we got ancient video masters. So the video quality was so-so but at least we got the full audio track rippoff included. Laughing
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:03 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
...I'd rather forget I ever saw the show...

And yet you felt compelled to read the article and comment on it. And for what? To try and bring the rest of us down? If you really wanted to forget you ever watched it, you'd have passed by the article without a second glance.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
garrisonaw wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
...I'd rather forget I ever saw the show...

And yet you felt compelled to read the article and comment on it. And for what? To try and bring the rest of us down? If you really wanted to forget you ever watched it, you'd have passed by the article without a second glance.

He's entitles to his opinion. He saw Gunbuster and doesn't care for it. Is it a crime ? No. There are people on this thread that hate Gunbuster 2 with a passion. An otaku for otaku ova it was defined by someone in this thread as if Gunbuster with its dancing boobs wasn't otaku material. Rolling Eyes Heaven forbid someone should actually like Gunbuster 2 as a sequel to Gunbuster !!! Twisted Evil

In my opinion Gunbuster hasn't aged very well at all. To call it a sci-fi drama is a little bit too much. It's a comedy with elements of super robots thrown in for good measure and dancing boobs. Oh how many dancing boobs and nipples. Razz The drama part is the last 2 episodes. Not a lot for a 6 episode oav. And it was/is otaku material with a capital O. To say otherwise is to be blind.

Gunbuster 2 is actually a pretty decent oav. It has more drama than the original and is less soap-opera-comedy-ish. It stands on its own, but the little references to Gunbuster in the final episodes are just the cherry on the cake. The spirit of Gunbuster is there, although the art and animation is radically different (18 years have passed between the two and I bet there are some that watched Gunbuster 2 who weren't even born when Gunbuster was published).
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
Oh wow i have Gunbuster as a masterpiece too. Ep 4/5 are just too good. Gunbuster 2 is a fun 8/10 but has a bit of an identity problem.
Well Gainax when Aoki Uru is finished... then you have my permission to die. 2018. Really ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
I agree that Gunbuster is flawed, but it's one of my favorites, probably because of its rawness. When Noriko boards her father's craft, what happens during Noriko's first battle, and the sacrifice that is made at the end... I watch the show every 1-2 years and those scenes still turn my gut and make me cry. I'm not a huge Sci-Fi fan, but how the show's creators played with the idea of what happens when you travel at a different speed than the earth fascinates me.

I've got nothing against anyone who likes DieBuster,, it has a decent plot, the graphics are fine, and Nono's a cute and plucky character, but to me it's rather soulless. It feels more like a parody of how well-groomed and "moe-fied" the anime world has become. I do like the cute twist at the ending, but I spoiler[feel bad about the world that Noriko and Kazumi return to - it's been banged up pretty badly.]
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Watched this again on Christmas Day...and yep, its still by miles my favourite Anime.

Better than Code Geass, Death Note, Naruto, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Monster, Ghost in the Shell, GITS SAC, Akira, Detective Conan, Gunslinger Girl, Macross, Patlabour 2 or any multitude of my other top rated Anime.

I seriously doubt anything will ever knock it off my top spot, its a simply unmatched emotional epic and will rank along aside The Shawshank Redemption and Final Fantasy VII as my all time favourite pieces of art.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
In complete opposition to the majesty of the original, Gunbuster 2 or Diebuster,was an absolute disgrace. It was a sequel in name only, it was nothing like its predecessor, capturing non of the heart, the emotion, the epicness, the character development. It was an abomination, you could tell how little input Anno Hideaki had on it. His absence in the majority of its construction is severely missed.

Diebuster was one of the biggest disappointments a true Gunbuster fan could have ever experienced.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
aeris2001x2 wrote:
In complete opposition to the majesty of the original, Gunbuster 2 or Diebuster,was an absolute disgrace. It was a sequel in name only, it was nothing like its predecessor, capturing non of the heart, the emotion, the epicness, the character development. It was an abomination, you could tell how little input Anno Hideaki had on it. His absence in the majority of its construction is severely missed.

Diebuster was one of the biggest disappointments a true Gunbuster fan could have ever experienced.

It wasn't possible to do a sequel with the 2 characters of Gunbuster. You saw how it ended right ? There was nowhere to go except home.
Jung Freud and all the other characters were dead or would be dead. Were we supposed to watch Noriko and Kazumi in their capsule for 6 episodes straight and listen to their disquisition about the nature of time and death ? Now THAT would have been a disappointment.

I understand some people just can't connect to Gunbuster 2 because of the art. It's ok, if you want 80s art watch 80s anime. But the story and the characters in Gunbuster 2 are great art notwithstanding. And Lal'C is a tremendous pilot. The equal in courage and selflessness as Noriko and Kazumi.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

It wasn't possible to do a sequel with the 2 characters of Gunbuster. You saw how it ended right?

A skilled writer couldspoiler[create a powerful story about what the two girls find and how they adjust to the strange, new world that they saved. There's endless potential there.]

How they ended Gunbuster gets me in the gut every time, so it's not like it had to have a sequel, but it bums me out that the one they made was so generic and soulless.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
krelyan wrote:
Didn't know that the old BV release was back down to reasonable prices. Last I saw it was OOP and going for triple digits.

The last time I had looked it was going for scalper's pricing. But as of this moment, it's $39.99! If anyone's been wanting a copy, now is the time to grab it. No guarantee when/if it will be released again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4