• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sunday Without God Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The characters often acted in ways that seemed unnatural.

Yes, this is the point. It's a world where the living stopped having children, the dead walk, wishes come true {not free...} and all of this is monitored by Gravekeepers, a racial mixture of angels, zombies and vampires who wield a pretty mean shovel.

We as a normal audience can't really fathom their situation or their very nature; Example: Ai is always insistent that she's a Gravekeeper or at least a half Gravekeeper. Even after learning her mother was very atypical, she still wanted to be known as one of them even after experiencing first hand how inhuman they really are.

Even the very title has no bearing on its reality; Hambart gave a nice speech and everything, a very poetic take on Genesis but it has only belief behind it and no evidence {... Go with it, ok?}; When you get right down to it, aren't Gravekeepers more likely aliens than angels? Even if you look at it religiously, Gravekeepers look like someone's attempt to copy God's created humans but once they got the model right, they simply mass produced.

Or someone wished for aliens. Ok, where's Haruhi in all of this? Anyway, I love this series for its comedy. Oh and I really enjoyed Caitlynn French's performance; She's a lot better at the lively characters than the deadpan ones.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
But I agree that "concentration camp" was over the top for what as going on there; "prison" would have been a better term to use

A concentration camp is a kind of prison.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The writing in that one was abysmal. The characters, and especially the little girl, were carton cutouts with zero psychological credibility to the point when it becomes disgusting. It's a waste of nice graphics on a below-average story really.

Animegomaniac wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
The characters often acted in ways that seemed unnatural.

Yes, this is the point.

Do you really believe so? I'll give you one example. When Ai meets Hampnie she sees him exterminating the whole village. The brains of one of her neighbours are blown out right before her eyes. She comes at him and he kicks her with full force. What would be a believable reaction of a little girl? Maybe she would run away in fear, break down and cry, try to hurt him with all her might, vow to never forgive the man who took away her dear ones from her. ON NO OCCASION WOULD SHE FOLLOW THE STRANGER WHO CRUELLY DISPOSED OF HER FRIENDS. NO WAY SHE WOULD BEHAVE AROUND HAMPNIE AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED AND VIEW HIM WITHOUT A TRACE OF SUSPICION AND RESENTMENT.

This is some Fractale-level of writing believable reactions.

Last edited by SheRrIs on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
That's true, it is a kind of prison. But "prison" carries less of an association with the Holocaust than "concentration camp," and for people who lost family in one during the war or know any survivors, the term is too loaded to use lightly.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
For a 1 cour show they did a very good job of making the story really quite satisfying.

I will most likely pick this up if it goes on sale at some point.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
That's true, it is a kind of prison. But "prison" carries less of an association with the Holocaust than "concentration camp," and for people who lost family in one during the war or know any survivors, the term is too loaded to use lightly.

Doing some research, I came across the American Heritage Dictionary of "concentration camp": "A camp where persons are confined, usually without hearings and typically under harsh conditions, often as a result of their membership in a group the government has identified as suspect."

So perhaps the thought here had been that since Goran Academy was a place where kids with special powers were being kept, this would fall under "membership in a group the government has identified as suspect."

To a lot of people, the image of concentration camps is the Nazis and the killing that took place at those camps. So while technically, I guess "concentration camp" would work for Goran Academy, the term has come to have a very specific meaning for people over the years. While I still prefer simply referring to Goran Academy as a "prison," it appears that "concentration camp" may not be incorrect in this case. But Rebecca does have a point that the term "concentration camp" has a loaded meaning due to the Nazis and what they did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
toyNN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I thought the series had difficult time after the first arc which was very good. After that it just seemed to meander around, randomly introduced magical powers and other fantasies that started to stray from the initial premise.

Maybe I missed how it all worked together but it seemed to get way too complex for its own good.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
.....ON NO OCCASION WOULD SHE FOLLOW THE STRANGER WHO CRUELLY DISPOSED OF HER FRIENDS. NO WAY SHE WOULD BEHAVE AROUND HAMPNIE AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED AND VIEW HIM WITHOUT A TRACE OF SUSPICION AND RESENTMENT.....

Have to agree with that. You don't hang around the serial killer, that slaughtered everyone you knew and held dear.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I heard a lot of people cried at the end of the first arc spoiler[over Hampnie's death. ] But I didn't even tear up until spoiler[the Ostia arc when Alis' fate was revealed.] I didn't understand the backlash towards the ending either. spoiler[Didn't it play that way in the novels as well?] Anyway, I do have to buy this when I get some funds. It's worth money for me on Alis alone Very Happy
ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sherris wrote:
.....ON NO OCCASION WOULD SHE FOLLOW THE STRANGER WHO CRUELLY DISPOSED OF HER FRIENDS. NO WAY SHE WOULD BEHAVE AROUND HAMPNIE AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED AND VIEW HIM WITHOUT A TRACE OF SUSPICION AND RESENTMENT.....

Have to agree with that. You don't hang around the serial killer, that slaughtered everyone you knew and held dear.

This is an oversimplification. Her reasons for following him were a combination of curiosity, resentment, and having nowhere else to go. On some level, she also begins to realize that he wasn't just "killing" them, that "death" wasn't as simple as having your brains blown out or being buried, and that "life", persistence, and existence aren't universally good. The exploration of this is what makes it more interesting than other series that have either unkillable or disposable characters. Do you want a character to end? Is it right? Why do we love, resent, worship, or blame the thing that gives and takes everything we hold dear?

With zombie shows having been done to death, there's a haunting beauty to this alternate interpretation of an abandoned post-apocalyptic world, where the dead aren't just trying to kill the living, but struggle to remain alive themselves.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I spoiler[cried when the true main character, Hampnie Hambart, was laid to rest.] After that, there was a hole in my heart when I continued watching.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sherris wrote:

This is an oversimplification. Her reasons for following him were a combination of curiosity, resentment, and having nowhere else to go. On some level, she also begins to realize that he wasn't just "killing" them, that "death" wasn't as simple as having your brains blown out or being buried, and that "life", persistence, and existence aren't universally good. The exploration of this is what makes it more interesting than other series that have either unkillable or disposable characters. Do you want a character to end? Is it right? Why do we love, resent, worship, or blame the thing that gives and takes everything we hold dear?

With zombie shows having been done to death, there's a haunting beauty to this alternate interpretation of an abandoned post-apocalyptic world, where the dead aren't just trying to kill the living, but struggle to remain alive themselves.

Excellent rebuttal. I couldn't have put it better.

As for the matter of Hampnie....I would seriously like to take every author who spoiler[thinks it's funny to tear apart a child and long-lost parent after they JUST found each other] and effing strangle them with my bare hands.
Words of any language can't convey how cruel and unfair that whole trope is.
Pretty much the only writing choice I hated with this series.

You can bet I'll be stepping out of the room when I show this episode to my anime club.
I can't handle that scene.
I cannot.

.OTL

Quote:
there was a hole in my heart when I continued watching.

Anime cry
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
I thought it was a fantastic show. For all its imperfections, it really was an ambitious and offbeat story and it's a great watch all in all.

Also, considering the dark subject matter, I actually think the fanservice was much needed relief.
scineram

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

And so he didn't, because THEY WERE ALREADY DEAD!
naki12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:08 am Reply with quote
Regarding the "concentration camp" thing, they actually said "強制収容所" which is a term that's used to refer to the Nazi concentration camps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4