• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Reasons Gentlemen Prefer Elves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Write-in for Arshes Nei from Bastard!, but good list overall.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Interesting list. I'm thrilled to see Monster topped the previous poll, as it's a series I dearly love and still want to own.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
The new poll is missing 2nd edition AD&D and the "non-advanced" D&D that was in print simultaneously with 1st and 2nd edition AD&D (and which actually had several versions itself, though I don't know if the rules were changed significantly between them). I think whoever made the poll assumed that 3rd Edition was actually the third edition of D&D, when in fact it wasn't at all and had just continued the numbering from the AD&D versions because they were more popular (2nd edition AD&D was the second version of AD&D, but wasn't the second version of D&D as a whole). Also, if you are going to include White Wolf/Vampire: The Masquerade, then you should probably include Pathfinder, which was recently the most popular tabletop RPG before 5th edition D&D came out (and which is closer to D&D than White Wolf/Vampire: The Masquerade, since it was built on the 3.5 Edition D&D rules).

Anyway, my first version of D&D was the non-advanced D&D box set and Rules Cyclopedia, which was in print at the same time as 2nd edition AD&D (the one listed in light green in the table at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons).
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks to that poll I discovered there's a Japanese BD box set for Higurashi Kai. Thanks to that poll I'm agonizing on whether to drop the $300 for said set.
Amazon.co.jp is a dangerous place.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Where's Tiffania?

Can you name 3 actually interesting things about her that would make her stand out? Didn't think so.
THELISTCRITIC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
{I have removed the content of your post because simply quoting someone and then telling them to "omg shut up" is not acceptable behavior here. Nor is it any sort of actual discussion. I suggest you go read the rules before posting again. ~ Psycho 101}
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
All this makes me think is that someone needs to make a new Record of Lodoss War series. If just because I wanna see Deedlit's fashionable ears.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
For my favorite anime elf, I'll say Deedlit. Also, I voted for Record of Lodoss War as the series I most wanted license rescue. I was really disappointed that Media Blasters wasn't able to get good quality materials and canceled their release of it (I think that is the reason they gave for canceling it). It was one of the anime that made me an anime fan in the first place, and I was hoping to buy a copy (I guess I could find a used copy).
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering why Negima was wanting for a license rescue. Is it because folks want those later ovas or what?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
I'm wondering why Negima was wanting for a license rescue. Is it because folks want those later ovas or what?

There's actually two shows, once that's like a reboot. The reboot is available but the original isn't, or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

There's actually two shows, once that's like a reboot. The reboot is available but the original isn't, or something like that.

They both also were very different in whether they were faithful to the manga or not. Honestly they should just scrap both versions and start over fresh. But that's neither here nor there.

I am surprised there was no mention of Mistress Celcia from Those Who Hunt Elves. I mean Elves was in the title for goodness sakes lol. Oh well. It is an older title. Most of you probably haven't even heard of it anyways. *Lynzee was probably still in middle school when it came out.

*That's an exaggeration and also compliment to her age
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I was really disappointed that Media Blasters wasn't able to get good quality materials and canceled their release of it (I think that is the reason they gave for canceling it). It was one of the anime that made me an anime fan in the first place, and I was hoping to buy a copy (I guess I could find a used copy).

If that was their reason, it's a moot one now. Lodoss is out on BD in Japan and stunning. I don't even care about the Daryls and the whomevers chiming in to talk about how little animation it has after the first episode, it's still a gorgeous anime. You might as well just import that unless someone moves to license it. That's why I voted for the Lodoss in the first place, and got it added to the list.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If that was their reason, it's a moot one now. Lodoss is out on BD in Japan and stunning. I don't even care about the Daryls and the whomevers chiming in to talk about how little animation it has after the first episode, it's still a gorgeous anime. You might as well just import that unless someone moves to license it. That's why I voted for the Lodoss in the first place, and got it added to the list.

That's good to know. I don't normally import anything, but it gives me hope that it actually will get a US re-release at some point.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I assume Lafiel from Banner of the Stars doesn't fit the definition of an elf? Otherwise she'd be a given...

Not really sure I would use the term "bombshell" for her though. She isn't particularly voluptuous.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Deedlit is the anime elf archetype. She's who I thought of as soon as I saw the title of the article.

My brother got the D&D Basic Set for christmas when I was 8. We were at my grandparents' place in Brisbane (Queensland, Australia), and played "The Keep on the Borderlands" for the entire drive back to Nowra (~2 hours south of Sydney, Australia).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5