• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Vita Signs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
Vita and PSP. To me it seems like they don't much support from American game companies and because of that the console isn't as main stream in America. Not that Japanese games can't be main stream in America but usually it's a system people buy for their Call of Duties and Halos and if it happens to have a cool Japanese game on it too they'll try it out. In this case you have to really like Japanese games to get the Vita. And if you really like Japanese games then you get frustrated with all the games that don't make it to America. (Which is because the system isn't mainstream here) It's a vicious cycle.

It's not as if the 3DS gets American support either. Outside of tie-in license games, there's no real American games on the 3DS either. Handheld gaming is that middle ground that doesn't exist in American gaming. It's either AAA big budget games on consoles or small time indie games on PC/Mobile. There's not much in-between.

The Vita itself has many great games, though. Demon Gaze is a great dungeon crawler game and I'm lookig forward to it's sequels. The Ys series is one of my favorite series as well. There's plenty more games if you're willing to import as well.

-Stuart Smith
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:

Fine, fine. Rocket launcher platforms/vehicles. Whatever you call 'em.

Technically you were right it's just the wording could make someone think you could ride on one of the shoulder mounted ones.

Instead of one of these

Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see that there are a lot of Vita fans here! I really like the system despite the few releases that we get here in the West. Ys IV was the last game that I bought for the system, so sadly mine hasn't been getting much use lately.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I do hope that Marvelous does do more stuff with the Data East catalog than G-Mode ever did. I really enjoyed Majesco's Data East collection for the Wii, and I would love to see another collection. While most people wax nostalgic over Bad Dudes, I was a Genesis kid growing up so my "Dudes" game to be nostalgic over is spiritual-sequel Two Crude Dudes (a.k.a. Crude Buster or simply Two Crude). It's still a zany & fun beat-em-up today. While I wasn't exactly a giant Data East fan back in the day I've played more of the company's work since then, and while a lot of it may be derivative it doesn't mean that they were bad games. Fighters History Dynamite holds up really well today (& features a dizzy system that makes complete sense & still hasn't been replicated), Road Blaster is still generally considered by many to be the best FMV game ever made (though I'm kind of partial to Strahl/Triad Stone), the Magical Drop series is fun as all hell, & Spinmaster was simply, silly fun.

I still want to one day plays games like Boogie Wings, The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy, Trio the Punch, Act-Fancer, Night Slashers, & even Tattoo Assassins, all of which become G-Mode properties. It would be awesome to see the anime FMV games be given complete remasters & re-released (I know Cobra Command had an Apple Store remaster, but give me that on a console, not a mobile device!).

In regards to the Vita, I only own a PS TV, with only a handful of Vita games, but I enjoy the unit. The Vita games look great on a TV, it's a great place to hold (most of) my PSOne Classics purchases, and even PSP games look respectable on a screen that's supremely larger than what they were made for. Sadly, Ys IV still isn't supported outside of Japan, making it the only Vita game I own that I can't play right now (but I'm a Ys fan, so I'm not getting rid of it).
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The Monster Hunter game on the Vita is the MMO spin off not a main series game.

Also Child of Light came out ages ago on Vita. And EU/Asia got a cartridge release when it came out.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Child of Light looked like a Grandia copy so I never really bothered with it, plus the art style was really ugly looking. Still though I'm surprised an indie game got an actual physical release. I might try out more indie games if they weren't digital only because I dislike digital purchases.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
The Monster Hunter game on the Vita is the MMO spin off not a main series game.

Yeah, Capcom only released Monster Hunter Frontier G on Vita, which by the time it came out on the handheld was 7 years old ...
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I do know there are people who wouldn't mind having Fighter's History Dynamite on a modern platform.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
I love my vita. I hate it when people say there are no games. I don't know the exact number but between physical and digital releases I probably have around 50 games. Danganronpa on the vita is probably my favorite game of last year (although South Park is close). I'm certainly not an industry expert, but I think there can be room for a system that focuses on niche and indie games. Besides, the ability to play PS1 classics on a portable system is enough of a system seller by itself as far as I'm concerned.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I love my vita. I hate it when people say there are no games. I don't know the exact number but between physical and digital releases I probably have around 50 games. Danganronpa on the vita is probably my favorite game of last year (although South Park is close). I'm certainly not an industry expert, but I think there can be room for a system that focuses on niche and indie games. Besides, the ability to play PS1 classics on a portable system is enough of a system seller by itself as far as I'm concerned.

When people say there's no games for the Vita they generally mean American AAA games like shooters. It's why a lot of Americans call the system dead or why Sony of America doesn't promote it much since they focus on those types of American gamers in America, and why Borderlands 2 was the game they picked for the bundle, where Japan gets all sorts of bundles like Persona 4 or Soul Sacrifice.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
The Vita to me is one of the most disappointing successor consoles out there. A real disappointment and a real waste.

The hardware is fantastic. The fourm it self(at least the orginal) still seems so sleek and well made with a fantastic screen. It feels weighty and great. The os is quick and speedy. Switching between apps never feels like a chore regardless of the ui kind of looking silly. For a dedicated console it's supposed abilites sure outshine the technologically pathetic 3DS.

Still it's the games that matter and the actual library for the system is pitiful.

I'm sorry I'm not an otaku gamer and so most of the actual Japanese support for the system does nothing for me.

This is what I have for the Vita:

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD
Freedom Wars
Gravity Rush
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
Killzone: Mercenary
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Muramasa Rebirth
One Piece Unlimited: World Red
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus
Tales of Hearts R
Persona 4
Ys: Memories of Celceta

It's really not an exciting list, with some of the best games being mere ports. Now I bought it for Ys and Gravity Rush, which were great. But it's list of actual exclusive games does nothing for me.

It's said to be a jrpg machine. Yet I wouldn't want to play most of these games. Nor would anyone else during the PS2 and PS1 days were plenty of actual quailty and ambious jrpgs came out. Whats left on the vita is low budget and pandry fair that would receive no attention during the genre's golden years. I can't believe IF is actually liked with that crap they put out. Yet things of thier ilk are what populate the Vita's libary and it does nothing but turn me off.

Sure there are some bright spots for the fuuture with games from Falcom and so on, but really it looks the Vita will be home to nothing but Otaku and Hunting games trying to fill a void. Things that do nothing for me.

Which is a shame because the PSP was an amazing system. Filled with actual exclusive jrpgs that hearkened back to the PS2 days. it had awesome Sqaure support. It had developers who put out games that obviously pushed the system and had excellent production values.

Not so on the Vita.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
It's all of matter of taste. That looks like a good list of games to me. I understand some people only being interested in western triple A games( although I think that's an unsustainable market given development costs), but that isn't really what I'm looking for in a handheld.

Also if your only interested in classic jrpgs then you always use the psn.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Western developers have pretty much ceded mobile gaming to smartphones and tablets. Instead of handhelds, in addition to home consoles, they're moving their focus to PCs, as more gamers are going back to PCs - as tech advances have made even entry-level PCs to be decent gaming rigs and with the help of platforms like Steam, Humble Bundle, GOG, etc. and their ubiquitous sales and free codes, making it very affordable with a huge library. More consoles games, even AAA titles, are showing up on PCs. And of course, allows for emulators for retro games.

And PC equipment already more powerful than consoles and upgradeable to new technologies that come along like 4K, and with DirectX 12 coming up, which is the first big upgrade in years, better graphics for less power requirements allowing more possibilities. Even nVidia and Valve working on portable Shields and Steam boxes.

But what it really comes down to, IHS data shows that PC is the biggest gaming platform globally, representing $32B (39%) in consumer spending on games content worldwide in 2014. Already couple years ago, 'PC games have surpassed console games globally' (Europe in the driving seat). And that's why developers are putting time again on PCs, following where the money is.

shamisen the great wrote:

It's all of matter of taste. That looks like a good list of games to me. I understand some people only being interested in western triple A games( although I think that's an unsustainable market given development costs), but that isn't really what I'm looking for in a handheld.

Like if you're in Japan into Western games then Xbox is fine; if you're into Japanese games then you're all set with the Vita in America. But if you're like the local majority that's not into Western games in Japan or not into Japanese games in America, then there's not much reason to get those, as even the local publishers don't have much reason to support them. (And that's why Microsoft of Japan and Sony of America don't give them much support too, and why people say there's not much games because for the majority of local people, there ain't indeed much for them.)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
And PC equipment already more powerful than consoles and upgradeable to new technologies that come along like 4K, and with DirectX 12 coming up, which is the first big upgrade in years, better graphics for less power requirements allowing more possibilities. Even nVidia and Valve working on portable Shields and Steam boxes.

And yet the only types of games being made, let alone the most popular ones, are MOBAs, early access zombie survival games, F2P/P2W games, and meme/Youtube-bait games. Nothing which actually takes advantage of the hardware exists. The last two games that could hold those titles half a decade ago, Witcher and Crysis, are scaling themselves back and are on consoles now.

-Stuart Smith
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

And yet the only types of games being made, let alone the most popular ones, are MOBAs, early access zombie survival games, F2P/P2W games, and meme/Youtube-bait games. Nothing which actually takes advantage of the hardware exists.

That's good because that doesn't shut out the gamers who don't have the latest greatest hardware rig, like they used to. But importantly the games scale up, so ya can take advantage when your setup improves (we've already tried a few games up to 4K setup).

As for games, we're pretty sure we spent more on PC games last year than on console games, and we spent a lot on consoles (likely more than ya guys too). Aside from the big games are expected now to be released on the PC as well. Since it's like this: people may balk at a couple of games that'll set them back 100 bucks but then don't mind plunking 300 bucks on a bunch of games - yes they end up spending more money, but if it's a bunch of games, it doesn't feel it hurts as much on the wallet. That's what ends up happening with those ubiquitous PC sales, and there's always more than one place to purchase (so you're not limited by just one central marketplace dictating the price). And there's all types of games, from the addictively simple to the hair-pulling complicated - but if ya can find it cheap enough, you'd feel it's worth the money, even if it's not near perfect, or not something you'd normally play, or won't have much time to play if at all - just because the price is right.

And that's in addition to the old games you could play, since there's always a way to be compatible (like emulators or virtual machines). So there's always a ready big library; ya don't have to wait for a library to build up. Anyways, to get an idea of what's in store for this year, a nice place to start like:

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games-2015/

(It's even divided into sections for easier browsing: open world action, action, FPS, RPG, action RPG, 2D shooters & twin-stick games, fighting games, strategy, adventure, exploration and survival, MMO, platform, puzzle, sport, sim, racing.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4