• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mushishi: part miyazaki, part folklore, completely awesome!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
bllanosr wrote:
I really liked Mushishi for it's little short stories. None of the episodes relate to each other so you don't have to watch it in chronological order and feel like you've missed something. However how long is the series? I've seen episodes 1-10 but never found anymore after that. When I went to little Tokyo west (Sawtelle area for those living in LA) I saw a DVD for it and it only had episodes 1-10 and didn't say Part 1 like most dvds of an anime series.

If you'd check here, you'd see it's 26 episodes in all. And that DVD you found, is a blatant bootleg because Mushishi hasn't been licensed (as of right now) yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bllanosr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
It was a Japanese dvd. Little tokyo only sells japanese productsand the likes. I usually go there to buy Japanese pasteries, mangas or just eat Japanese food (or boba at 2:00 am). I'm pretty sure it was legit.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
One of those had better be Tsubasa or xxxholic Twisted Evil

Thanks for the link! I'm going to be keeping my eye on that one! (I just saw the banner ad as I'm typing this Very Happy )

Though I have never seen an episode, I'm with you on Tsubasa Chronicle, not only would it clear up hard drive space, but I'd like to see it on DVD too, yet I still want the Mushishi announcement first.

bllanosr wrote:
It was a Japanese dvd. Little tokyo only sells japanese productsand the likes. I usually go there to buy Japanese pasteries, mangas or just eat Japanese food (or boba at 2:00 am). I'm pretty sure it was legit.

Funny, you said it had 10 episodes so I am completely positive it is not Legit, considering the official Mushishi Volume 1 DVD from Japan only had episodes 1 and 2.
bllanosr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:15 am Reply with quote
Oh... that was the cover but at the back it said it had episodes 1-10. I guess it wasn't legit after all. =(
Amasa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so I just watched the first three episodes of Mushishi and was quite stunned at it's very accurate portrayal of magic mushroom intoxication. In all seriousness I'm almost positive that this series has been influenced by the creators' experience with a certain type of drug - whether it be marijuana, magic mushrooms, or acid. It may seem a bit hard to understand without actually knowing the effects, but everybody has been saying in this thread and also this one that the vivid and dramatic environment in each episode seems so real and beautiful. To me this whole series could in fact be about magic mushrooms since the images bear a lot of resemblance to the effects of taking shrooms which can be discovered here. I'm not advertising anything illegal here - I'm just interested that such a succesful anime is in fact a development of a certain intoxication.

Most important ideas are
Quote:
...it is beautiful to be in nature and to discover the world in all this new attire of colors, forms, influences and awareness...

Quote:
Especially so-called power-spots (hills, volcano's, a special creek, a well, a holy place) let you share in their exuberance and you will notice the diversity of forms and varieties at such locations.
Even the first episode delves straight into the effect of the world's best hallucinogen and it just continues throughout the series as each new encounter with the Mushi unfolds.

I suppose this doesn't really explain what I'm on about.... but honestly, there's a reason Mushishi is so serene and beautiful!! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2