• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hideo Kojima's 'P.T.' Demo Game's Distribution Expires on April 29

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This would make sense if MGS wasn't Konami's ip and wouldn't require Konami to use Kojima to make any new entries or remakes.

Ture, they don't require Kojima to make an MGS. However, would they really risk themselves to make an MGS without Kojima being involved?

They essentially did that with Twin Snakes......which is how you wound up with some of the divisive action sequences in the game.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
So what did Koijima do (aside from leaving MGS for good; or is that a consequence of this as well and not a cause?) to make Konami this butthurt?

My feeling is that Kojami wanted to do other stuff after MGSV while Konami wanted hum and Kojipro to go straight on making the next Metal Gear game. Things gotta to a head because Kojima really didn't want to jump straight into another MGS, and that lead to Konami saying "Here's the door".

-Sergorn

I might have agreed if Kojima hadn't been saying that he "wanted to do other games" ever since MGS2 came out in 2001. The man has had a lot of opportunities to leave a series he was supposedly tired of working on. And I don't know that Konami would want him to leave, even if he decided he actually wanted to make something else. Being able to put "A Hideo Kojima Game" on whatever it might be is a selling point that I don't think Konami would give up so easily.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I might agree with you if PT wasn't as good as it was. Silent Hill games have certainly been divisive these past few years, no argument here, but it sounds like you're just writing off PT as just another bad SH game. That's just not the case, it absolutely nails the horror aesthetic and atmosphere. More so than any horror game I've played since Silent Hill 3.

To me Silent Hill is more about just being scary. Silent Hill to me was always a look into someone's psyche and life and how the town twisted those into it's horrors. It's what made the original games so great and gave us complex and memorable characters. Focusing on either straight action or scares isn't really what the franchise was to me. I wasn't a big fan of PT because of the first-person perspective and silent self-insert protagonist, which makes it really hard to care for the main character or really call itself Silent Hill. It felt a bit like one of those generic indie games YouTubers play and over-exaggerate how scared they are. Given how many of those Streamer/YouTube people jumped onto the franchise thanks to PT, without caring about the original games, I was apprehensive on how the franchise was going to be from now on.
Shugo2540

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
DARYL!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I might agree with you if PT wasn't as good as it was. Silent Hill games have certainly been divisive these past few years, no argument here, but it sounds like you're just writing off PT as just another bad SH game. That's just not the case, it absolutely nails the horror aesthetic and atmosphere. More so than any horror game I've played since Silent Hill 3.

To me Silent Hill is more about just being scary. Silent Hill to me was always a look into someone's psyche and life and how the town twisted those into it's horrors. It's what made the original games so great and gave us complex and memorable characters. Focusing on either straight action or scares isn't really what the franchise was to me. I wasn't a big fan of PT because of the first-person perspective and silent self-insert protagonist, which makes it really hard to care for the main character or really call itself Silent Hill. It felt a bit like one of those generic indie games YouTubers play and over-exaggerate how scared they are. Given how many of those Streamer/YouTube people jumped onto the franchise thanks to PT, without caring about the original games, I was apprehensive on how the franchise was going to be from now on.

Considering Norman Reedus was playing the main character and the trailer shows his face, there was little reason to think Silent Hills would be first-person, IIRC Kojima even said that P.T. was not indicative on how Silent Hills would look.

At the very least I can't imagine it being as bad or worse than Homecoming. A silent self-insert protagonist (which isn't always the cast with first-person, look at Bioshock Infinite) is arguably better than the blandness that was Alex Shepherd. And of course at least first-person controls would mean no Zelda-style combat. Yeah Homecoming, nothing says scary like doing sick combos on monsters! UGH.....
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
That seems to be the trend now with horror games, isn't it? The confusion of the feeling of horror with the horror aesthetic. They each have their merits, but they play to a different audience. No doubt horror games in general have been going in this direction because some gamers don't like the feeling of powerlessness and become game designers.

I know a few indie game designers who want to do precisely that sort of game: They call it a "horror game," but it's one about mowing down zombies with huge amounts of firepower. They cannot stand feeling powerless in games. It frustrates them. Hence, the same things that annoy fans of true horror games are what fans of faux horror games like and vice versa.

This mindset isn't limited to video games either--the recently-released pinball machine of The Walking Dead is also about destroying hordes of zombies and overall making the player feel like a badass over it (most lit shots will kill a Walker, 3 Walkers killed lights Extra Ball, etc.), which personally bugs me as it goes directly against the graphic novels and the TV show, which are about overwhelming helplessness and prolonging the inevitable.

Via_01 wrote:
True, they don't require Kojima to make an MGS. However, would they really risk themselves to make an MGS without Kojima being involved? Even with Revengeance, Kojima at least pitched the first few ideas... but a Kojima-free MGS is probably not going to be well received.

All that matters are the sales.

I don't know how well-known Kojima's name is among the people who play Metal Gear Solid games (no doubt among the fans, but among the rank-and-file? I'm not sure), but unless the creator has partial ownership in a franchise, there's nothing stopping the company from finding someone else to go do it, which is what usually happens. The prevailing opinions will most often drop at this point (as can be seen with the Scary Movie films, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Mega Man 10), upon which the franchise is vulnerable to slipping in profitability, and THAT is when they stop.

On occasion though, a changing of the guard actually creates an increase in quality (like with Blondie, the Star Trek films, and Doctor Who). This is less frequent, but it still happens enough for the bigwigs to try it.

Greed1914 wrote:
I might have agreed if Kojima hadn't been saying that he "wanted to do other games" ever since MGS2 came out in 2001. The man has had a lot of opportunities to leave a series he was supposedly tired of working on. And I don't know that Konami would want him to leave, even if he decided he actually wanted to make something else. Being able to put "A Hideo Kojima Game" on whatever it might be is a selling point that I don't think Konami would give up so easily.

Well, he's friends with Masahiro Sakurai, creator of Kirby and Super Smash Bros. (and went to school with each other--along with Goichi Suda), so perhaps the two of them can team up and make something amazing.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This would make sense if MGS wasn't Konami's ip and wouldn't require Konami to use Kojima to make any new entries or remakes.

True. But then perhaps Kojima didn't want them to create a new Metal Gear without their imput and it was cause for conflict. But I have to assume the fallout has to be related to Metal Gear's future

What's certain is that Konami is already officially hiring new senior staff members to work on the next Metal Gear, which means they plan to have a new MGS on sale sooner rather than later while Kojima tends to work on his own Schedule.

Still I won't dismiss a new MGS solely because Kojima isn't involved, that would be silly. But that all sounds very ugly and messy.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

They essentially did that with Twin Snakes......which is how you wound up with some of the divisive action sequences in the game.

Except it was Kojima who handpicked his buddy Ryuhei Kitamura to direct Twin Snakes' cutscenes and insisted that he made them in his own peculiar style rather than mimicking the original game. So Kojima definitly had imput over Twin Snakes.

-Sergorn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2