• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Monster Musume (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
I hate the Love Hina/Ranma 1/2 humor. Hell, this is one of the reasons that I'm hesitant to continue Your Lie in April (I'm on episode 7).

Unlike Love Hina though, this story has potential. It CAN be a sexy, wish-fulfillment story or a genuinely interesting look on how society would react to monster girls, or something better than that! However, the show is too preoccupied with appealing to the humor that Japan is guaranteed to like. I don't care for "male protagonist gets the shit beaten out of him because several girls are crushing on him."

I think it's Japan's shallow way of showing the female demographic that the show is just as much on "Team Vagina" as it is on the male wish fulfillment side. "See, girls? It's not just a fun time being this guy because you, the women, get to beat him up whenever you want. Your guy friends don't really wanna be this guy!"

Still, if you like Monster Girls and you're really... REALLY desperate to see some, this is the only anime where they're a huge focus. I don't think I'll be watching much more unless I hear that it stops recycling Love Hina's jokes and starts telling an actual story.

On that note, we need to riot in the streets of Akihabara! "Down with female on male abuse comedy in anime!" It's ruining Your Lie in April for me. Explicit fanservice turns a good anime into an okay anime for me. Double standard humor turns a potentially great anime like Your Lie in April into a so-so anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
They said it is an exchange program and that it would come across as against procedure with sex that a host, they are supposed to be experiencing the culture, and things were probably written in so they do not become sexual objects.

The episode also included an extra bit of information in talking about traits of the snake people, and specifically said that there are only female Lamia. It also said that they need male humans to be able to breed, so there is nothing wrong in Miia's culture for boning a human, it is merely that she is in a political role. There are ways they could be intimate without penetration (he already did something to her), and they can just wait until she is no long in the exchange program, if there is a way to become part of the society out of it.

Does anyone know if there are male monsters in this series?
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
That's the thing. With a lot of harem shows, the plot would be great if it wasn't for the bad fanservice/comedy. For instance, think of any ecchi/harem show, take out the fanservice/comedy, and see if the plot holds up. Love Hina? Bad. Tenchi Muyo? Good. Chobits? Good. Monster Musume? If this was a less obvious fanservice show, I can see myself actually liking it. The harem stuff can still be there, but I can't stand the bad comedy that relies on face faults, double standard abuse, and other crap like that.

I think Steins Gate's formula is what all harem anime should strive to be. No dumb freak out humor, no abuse, just characters interacting with each other and playing off each other. It doesn't appeal to everyone, but I think that if this show at least toned down the bad parts, I could reach a wider demographic.
nohbody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Having read up on the manga, I know that there are male Orc Otaku. They're the poor saps that introduce us to MON. (The girls featured in the ending.)

BTW, if I recall correctly, the "double standard abuse" comedy settles down a bit after a while. Although, in this particular series, I find it more ...err... forgivable (let's say), than in most other anime of the sort. Why? In this case, the physical humor falls less into the "Joe you Pervert!" category and more into "Miia not knowing her own strength" category.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

So far only some orcs and male centaurs have been shown. I assume any race that isn't explicitly mono-gendered like lamia and harpies have male counterparts, but it's a harem series so of course we're going to see primarily women.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
nohbody wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Having read up on the manga, I know that there are male Orc Otaku. They're the poor saps that introduce us to MON. (The girls featured in the ending.)

BTW, if I recall correctly, the "double standard abuse" comedy settles down a bit after a while. Although, in this particular series, I find it more ...err... forgivable (let's say), than in most other anime of the sort. Why? In this case, the physical humor falls less into the "Joe you Pervert!" category and more into "Miia not knowing her own strength" category.

Sure, it's more forgivable in the same way that watching Elmyra abuse animals and better than watching Love Hina. Doesn't mean it's funny.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
nohbody wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Maybe a better question might be: is there any such thing as a mail monster to which the monster girls might be attracted?

My guess is: not.
nohbody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Sure, it's more forgivable in the same way that watching Elmyra abuse animals and better than watching Love Hina. Doesn't mean it's funny.

Personally, I loved the old Elmyra shorts. Smile

"Funny" is such a subjective term than I can't blame a person if they don't find Monster Musume funny. However, I LOL'd my butt off.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Maybe a better question might be: is there any such thing as a mail monster to which the monster girls might be attracted?

My guess is: not.

Given what's been shown to date, your guess would be correct. (manga spoiler) spoiler[In fact, it becomes a plot point for one of the characters!]
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm just not one for OVER THE TOP WACKY, FACE-FAULT HUMOR~! Especially when it's about one guy's suffering. Maybe if the guy was a jerk or at least somewhat rude, I would be like, "Well, at least he had it coming." I don't like "Aw, poor, nice guy mcgee is getting attacked by women. Wa, wa, waaa."

I wouldn't say that making the abuse accidental is a step in the right direction either. One of the reasons that Haruhi Suzumiya worked for me was, while the main character is the butt of the joke, it's never so obviously played for comedy. There's no face faults or slapstick, just normal stuff.

Here's the thing, I hate scenarios like this:

Harem protagonist is caught in a seemingly perverted position alone with Girl A, when Girl B walks in, misinterprets the situation, and punches the guy, sending him flying.

However, I don't mind this situation as much:

Harem Protagonist is caught with Girl A in a situation that looks perverted when Girl B walks in, feels hurt and betrayed by her love interest acting so shameful, and slaps him in the face (without any comedic effects) before walking away angrily.

I don't appreciate the Japanese treating something like it's funny when it really isn't. Girl on Guy abuse, accidental or not, isn't funny when it's done constantly to a guy who doesn't deserve it. Even so, I think I might find it somewhat more amusing if their facial expressions remained realistic rather than changing to goofy face faults whenever failed comedy happens. I guess I need to get used to the fact of life that the Japanese will always use face faults like American TV shows will always use laugh tracks.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, rather than the thread to talk about Monster Musume it seems like the "vent your anger about slapstick comedy in anime" club. I mean, louis6578 has made already six posts to tell us how much he dislikes this series and we are in page two only.

Again it seems like I am the on the side that likes the series, would not change a thing (ok, I would make the ogress have bigger arms) and I hope this is a big success so more series like this are made, strong dominant females for the win! (I wonder if that is the real reason why people are lashing so much at a series that has modified little from the source material).

BTW, it is a mild spoiler but spoiler[Miia is really restraining herself, in her culture doing snuu snuu to males is a fact of life, years of conditioning can't be erased overnight]
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
Alright, that spoiler feels like it was just added into the plot for wank material more so than to add a layer of depth to the character. I'm a little peeved that these women are all defined by their attraction to this one guy who has no personality. Sure, he has some generic traits, but this isn't really something they can't find anywhere else. I want to like this show, but every time I come close, they toss failure comedy at me. Similar to Your Lie in April.

I don't mean to turn this into a rant, as this is only the first episode. If it gets better as we go along, then I'll take back everything I said, write a formal apology to the mangaka, get Invader Zim uncancelled, watch some hentai, tepee the White House, and donate to the local girl scouts.

As you can see, I'm not very optimistic, but I'll stay for the whole ride.
nohbody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
As I recall, the "accidental abuse" comedy is most prevalent in the earlier part of the series. Later on, the comedy comes more from the playing off the monster/animal traits of the monster girls.

(magna spoilers)
spoiler[The "accidental abuse" probably reaches its nadir just shortly after Papi and Centorea are introduced. If you can make it past that, it tends gets better, especially after Rachnee is introduced. The only time it's brought back is when Lala is introduced -- mainly to lampshade the whole "agent of Death" thing. However, given her late introduction, I'm curious if she'll be included in the anime.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Usually violence against men in these types of shows are the result of a girl's bad personality where she'll lash out over the smallest of things usually outside of the guy's control (and we're supposed to find that endearing). That can get pretty bad, but in this case I'm cool with it because there's no malice behind Miia's actions. It's still a bit of an issue (wasn't it the law that monsters can't harm humans?) but it hasn't crossed the line.

I'm a bit concerned for when the other girls show up, though. Miia could easily start "punishing" him for paying too much attention to the others.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Guys, I admit that "accidental abuse" is a step in the right direction from Tsundere lashing out, but it's a half-step in the right direction really.

I'm not saying that the lamia not knowing her own strength or accidentally constricting him with her tail can't be put in there. I just wish it wasn't played for laughs. I don't want the guy to get seriously injured. No. I just wish it wasn't so obviously put in for a quick joke about a man nearly being strangled to death by a girl who likes him. This is... kinda creepy and scary, not funny.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
This is... kinda creepy and scary, not funny.

Comedy is a hit or miss affair, there are no absolutes as you want to make us believe. If you have already determined that this comedy is not for you, then good for you. If you keep commenting you are either a masochist, a tsundere or a troll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10