• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline: Paramount Acquires Rights to Live-Action Beyblade Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood sure is desperate Laughing. I don't really see the point since it never really caught on here,compared to something like Yu-Gi-Oh or Bakugan.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I can't see this being anything other than a waste of time and money.

As with any movie based on anime or manga, they should just stop.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Hollywood sure is desperate Laughing. I don't really see the point since it never really caught on here,compared to something like Yu-Gi-Oh or Bakugan.

Wait, was Bakugan with the tops, or was that Beyblade? Hard to remember now. Confused
GVman

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Beyblade, OTOH, never really was a thing even when it was around, and we only remember its name because it was one of the last shows to get a mainstream syndicated deal for being a game series.
That's why producers have never really heard of anime. (See threads on Ghost in the Shell movie.)

Beyblade had a pretty dang successful revival, if the Angel Tree gifts I bought a few years ago are anything to go by, coupled with all the sold-out shelving at Wal-Mart. I have no idea how successful it was during its first run here, but it's definitely done well during its second go-around.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

Really? I saw the Beyblade toys everywhere--in every toy store, in every department store, anywhere that sold toys. It died down around two years ago though.

Nevertheless, it's pretty clear the intent of this movie is to sell even more Beyblade toys. That's where the real money in children's film lies.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, with Paramount having a monopoly on Hasbro stuff, it's actually not that surprising that they may try to take something like Beyblade and make a live action movie out of it.

I wonder which incarnation that they would choose, the one from the early 2000s or the one in 2010s because there's a lot to choose from or will they decide to go their own way.

I can imagine that critics and general audiences will find this pretty stupid especially if the Bit Beasts gets involved.

Also, where's my live action Digimon movie?! That would be much more awesome and has more cinematic potential than this!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Wow, with Paramount having a monopoly on Hasbro stuff, it's actually not that surprising that they may try to take something like Beyblade and make a live action movie out of it.

Ah, that WOULD be a more plausible explanation. Confused

Paramount's deal with Allspark (Hasbro) Productions pretty well went down with the Battleship--Ouija and Jem & the Holograms were dumped elsewhere, and Candyland has been given up for dead--so this could be at the bottom of the lists.
Since it's an outside licensee, and they can advertise they got the "exclusive rights" to it.

Unless, of course, they made the mistake of just keeping the toy license, and ignoring that the anime ever existed. Which's usually been the case with live-action toytoon movies since the days of Masters of the Universe.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Hollywood sure has jumped on the anime bandwagon. What next? A live action Escaflowne? Ultimate Muscle? Gundam? Might as well close your eyes and randomly pick a 90s-early 2000s anime out of a hat.
LaSean

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Beyblade was very successful here. Especially during its first run in the early 2000's.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
Wow. Hollywood sure has jumped on the anime bandwagon. What next? A live action Escaflowne? Ultimate Muscle? Gundam? Might as well close your eyes and randomly pick a 90s-early 2000s anime out of a hat.

Okay, let's reach into the clueless 1997 Hollywood Gaijin grab bag, rustle around a few, and pull out....hey, whaddya know, we pulled out the mother-lode of all Clueless-90's jackpots!:
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-paramount-1201490527/ Very Happy
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
If this movie ever gets made, it's probably going to be awful, but c'mon guys, Beyblade sold millions of toys and grossed over $2.5 billion in sales. How is that some unknown property that never caught on?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Seems lately Beyblade franchise has been getting more support in N. America than in Japan, so it makes sense the focus is from Hollywood. (When's the last time it aired in Japan?)

Why do kids love Beyblades

• Refreshed with colorful creature graphics, snap-on accessories and a ripcord-style high-speed launcher, and paired with a seizure-inducing cartoon series that’s best described as a 22-minute commercial interrupted by 30- and 60-second commercials, the battling tops have since spawned a burgeoning consumer fan base that generated $477 million last year for its global distributor, Hasbro.

That’s over 11 percent of the toy giant’s 2011 revenues, making Beyblade its second most lucrative brand — just behind robo-juggernaut Transformers, which generated $483 million in 2011 sales. Without the boost provided by the third installment of the blockbuster movie franchise, it’s likely that Beyblade would have placed first.

And Beyblade is hardly spinning in place on the silver screen front itself: A live-action Hollywood adaptation of the toy franchise is currently under development

Obviously the movie is to keep the brand in public consciousness.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Ah, that was for 2011. That all changed the following year.

Nevertheless, it's pretty clear why they love the toys: They're battlers, highly customizable, very cheap, and there's a surprising amount of thought and strategy that goes into them. I even remember finding out about Beyblade modding done by adult fans.
Rahxe

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
I was a fan of the original series, but even then I had no desire for a L.A. Just how do they plan on doing this? And which series will they follow? And why BEYBLADE of all anime? (Really, they could have chosen anything else...)

This is going to be so horrible. Sadly, when it comes out, I'll be curious enough to watch it and find out. TAT
Stupid, stupid curiosity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2