• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Manga Go Public Domain?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most shows were only rendered at 720x480 pixels, which is very low by today's standards. (If it was rendered in 4x3 letterboxed format, it's even less -- 720x360!)

I was watching Initial D: Fourth Stage on Blu-ray the other day, and it must have been one of those letterboxed shows rendered at 720x360, because even the smeary filters that Q-Tec used while upscaling it couldn't disguise its terribly low resolution. I was looking forward to watching it in anamorphic 16x9 for the first time, but it looks about as bad as zooming in on the letterboxed video from the DVDs, only with less compression artifacts.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I really do want that Lodoss BD to come here someday. Say what you want about the animation, but the art is still gorgeous.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
However, as someone else mentioned, the biggest protection a company has is convincing law makers to extend the time limit, though usually that extension only carries back to works created after a certain date, so the idea is that things will age-out of protection eventually.
Unfortunately, the time limit gets extended for works currently under copyright, not just new works, so things don't age out eventually, the "limited times" clause in the U.S. Constitution notwithstanding.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Lodoss didn't get rescued, because Kadokawa didn't want to play ball on providing the right materials for a Blu-Ray remaster, because they want to avoid reverse importation.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
About shows length:

Now the norm is to green-light in a 1- or 2-cour bursts, but I sometimes wonder if we'll see a chance in that pattern. Something like the year being divides to more cours, making each one shorter. Probably won;t happen, but it still floats in head at times...
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
From what I've heard, the Pokemon anime was originally planned as a 26-episode series as well. I believe it was extended after it was sold overseas.
The way I heard it was a bit looser: it was originally going to be just the Kanto arc, followed by the movie to wrap everything up. Taking that chance to pass the torch to new protagonists probably would've been a good idea.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
To me, for a thing to truly become public domain, it also means that the trademark of a work also becomes public domain. Also, there would be a law that bars retroactive copyrighting. What I mean is that a few years back, the US Supreme Court enabled many foreign public domain works to get re-copyrighted. I wouldn't be surprised if the Walt Disney Corp. had a role with this.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Those Lodoss Blu Rays are so beautiful tho... I'd so buy them but no subs or dubs
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I saw a terrible OVA series that ADV put out called Legend of Crystania. It had some sort of connection to Lodoss, but I don't know what. I just remember it was bloody and the character designs were rather ugly.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
It will be a long time anyway. I'm not familiar with Japanese copyright law, but over here it's supposed to be about another 10 years before the stuff from 1930 becomes public domain, which means we've still got a few decades before Osamu Tezuka's works do.

Books over here are 100 years--
Peter Pan from 1903 turned PD twelve years ago, meaning that the Great Ormond St. Hospital allowed all manner of cheesy book sequels to be made to still profit off the character (yes, I sat through that dopey trailer this afternoon.
While Wizard of Oz from 1910 turned PD five years ago, as you....also may have noticed from a sudden glut of movies.

Movies were originally fifty years before the studios lobbied for change and an extension.
Which, in case you ever wondered, is why Disney was churning out sequels to Bambi and the Jungle Book back in the 00's, to jumpstart their characters for few new decades of licensing. And you thought it was just to be greedy.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
From what I've heard, the Pokemon anime was originally planned as a 26-episode series as well. I believe it was extended after it was sold overseas.
The way I heard it was a bit looser: it was originally going to be just the Kanto arc, followed by the movie to wrap everything up. Taking that chance to pass the torch to new protagonists probably would've been a good idea.

The original plan for Pokemon was a tentative planned 78 episodes. It was only ever scheduled to go on for a year and a half. Because of the anime's popularity, as well as the games and various tie-ins, the project ended up continuing. I suspect, as you mentioned, the plan for the movie was supposed to tie up things. In the original trailer (which features no footage from the actual movie), there was a rather curious bit of footage used in it.

It featured an adult Kasumi (Misty), as well as another adult character whose name escapes me. It features them playing with a child, but the odd thing is although Pikachu is in the epilogue footage, Satoshi (Ash) is nowhere in sight, making me speculate something may have happened to him. What's interesting is it does seem they did end up more or less using the Adult Kasumi design in the later video games, but it seems it was originally going to be used in the movie.

There's a lot of mystery surrounding the original movie plan and I'm not sure how much detail was discussed. It's also more frustrating how there's little information about the overall production history of the series as a whole (anime, manga, games, etc.), except what little has been made public. For a franchise that has been a successful as Pokemon, you'd think we'd get more materials available to us... But alas...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
While Wizard of Oz from 1910 turned PD five years ago, as you....also may have noticed from a sudden glut of movies.

The original Wonderful Wizard of Oz novel from 1899 went public domain in 1956. I know this for a fact. It's copyright expired and was not renewed. One of the documentaries on my box set for the movie specifically mentioned that. It's also why there have been so many derivative works based on the book and it's characters since then. Also, there have always been many editions of that book. I remember a decade ago finding countless competing editions of it. My own copy is an unauthorized facsimile of the original 1899 edition from about 2004.

And I believe GOSH still owns the rights to Peter Pan.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
About shows length:

Now the norm is to green-light in a 1- or 2-cour bursts, but I sometimes wonder if we'll see a chance in that pattern. Something like the year being divides to more cours, making each one shorter. Probably won;t happen, but it still floats in head at times...

I think we are already seeing this with the increase in short form (2-10min) anime. I see this trend continuing to grow too. And come to think of it, the seasons/cours might be shrinking as well. Thirteen episodes used to be the norm, right? But I think eleven and twelve episodes has become just as common, no?

One thing I have been wondering is: If the financial prospects of anime have soured to the point where producers have become much more hardline about curtailing risks, why have we seen this change manifest in the form of a shrinking format (ie. episode length and season length), rather than the number of shows themselves?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
On the "FAQs | Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity" site, it mentions this:
Quote:
Does Great Ormond Street Hospital have the copyright in Peter Pan in perpetuity?
No, the hospital has a right to royalty in perpetuity in the UK, but this is not a true copyright. This right was granted to the hospital by the Copyright Designs & Patents Act (1988) and applies to stage productions, broadcasting and publication of the whole or any substantial part of the work or an adaptation of it in the UK.
It is in the public domain in other parts of the world.

In Spain, it's copyrighted until 2037.

Personally, I think Peter Pan is truly in public domain when it is done in every country and rights holders can no longer get royalties from it. In other words, I consider it semi-public domain.

Also, I don't care if GOSH is a group thinking for the children, I feel that copyright should eventually expire and all related parts (royalty in perpetuity and trademarks included) should expire.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The eva units from NGE were deliberately designed to be impossible to turn into toys. Of course, Bandai did it anyway with an ingenious layered-armour design.

Not to mention being something that gets sold out almost instantly once it's out on the market. Though Macross mecha also have that syndrome.

Case in point: I bought the Super Messiah Valkyrie Alto Custom (Macross Frontier) from online the day of its release. The following day, it was already sold out. And since then, it's been on perpetual backorder. It's never labeled "in stock" like it was on its initial release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4