• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stabman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

Some people get drowsy after that though...

Granted, but it doesn't change the fact the sound doesn't match the action.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I expected it to be bad but it's actually good.
blackice85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Stabman wrote:
Taskforce wrote:
Oh, it definitely has been toned down a bit. A good example of this is In ep 2, during the scene where he talks to Ms. Smith while she's in bed spoiler[At that time she is supposed to be masturbating while on the phone with Kimihito. They don't explicitly show this in the manga either of course, but they give you several indications of it. From the sound she is making over the phone while talking to Kimihito to the used tissue and tissue box on the bed with her. ] So yeah as you can see, it was definitely toned down from the original scene.

No, that was a yawn. Moans of pleasure sounds completely different from the auhiuhioaaa used (which is true to the japanese original).
She even has the manga reaction of drowsiness in the middle panel.

Yeah the tissues are still there, but in the panel itself it does look like she's just drowsy, so I'm not sure if they were directly implying that or not.

Otherwise it doesn't seem toned down at all, just the light censoring which will likely be all gone with the BDs. Scene-wise it's following the manga exactly as far as I can tell.

AiddonValentine wrote:
I'm hesitant to call the series trashy as while it's not ashamed of having sexual overtones, it's not in bad taste. It actually does something logical: it acknowledges that sex exists and that it's something big in people's lives. Because that's the thing about a lot of harem comedies even with fanservice is that they're oddly sexless and prudish. MonMusu is just up front with it and doesn't shy from it because what's the point?

Like others have said, if you know what you're getting into there shouldn't be any problems with it. Aside from the monster girls it's not like it's completely original, it's pretty standard harem comedy. I just think the manga, and now the show, are pretty well executed. I can't always put my finger on it, but some shows in the same genre just come off as being more shameless somehow, but maybe it's just my personal preferences speaking.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the eps are promising. Better get over there fast and check it out.
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
As someone who follows the manga I'm enjoying the Anime very much. It's basically a faithful adaption scene for scene.

But in the Manga their is a ton of nudity and nipple slips right and left. At least in the Anime adaption they get away without actually showing the nudity and not having it covered with cumbersome black bars or other censor tags they use various camera angles to let the viewer know their is nudity without showing it. Hell I'll be surprised if on the Blu-Ray release they will go back and have bare nudity, chest up or leave it as it. They probably will add it back in to sell more discs.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
LightningZangetsu27 wrote:
Nothing like a bit of bestiality Shocked , its funny as hell tough Razz

Well technically it's not really bestiality. More like mythiality if anything.

And apparently this makes a shitload of difference when you're selling a book on Amazon Kindle.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
This has been a pretty good season for harem comedies. Every time I think I'm ready to drop the genre, I find something like Monster Musume or Actually, I Am to pull me back.

You'd think you would get tired of these but never seem to. I've decided the reason I don't get tired of harem series is because most are comedies. I love the laugh and have fun watching anime. This is just entertainment after all. I feel bad for the prudes that miss out on the laughs.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, I didn't like Monster Musume that much. I mean, it's not a bad anime, but the comedy is unfunny, and there are a few annoying characters (for example, Papi). Maybe it'll get better later on, or maybe the manga's better?
Taskforce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:05 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
Oddly enough, I didn't like Monster Musume that much. I mean, it's not a bad anime, but the comedy is unfunny, and there are a few annoying characters (for example, Papi). Maybe it'll get better later on, or maybe the manga's better?

As the reviewer said, if you don't like the start of it, then I wouldn't stick with it as it is not likely to change your mind as it continues. What you see in eps 1-2 is pretty much what you get for the rest of the series as it moves forward. A few more characters get added, but the series never has the intention to be anything more than what it starts out, and that is a good thing to most. You might give it one more ep, but I wouldn't stay for the long haul if that one doesn't appeal to you either, and nobody would blame you if you didn't bother.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Seems fitting for the latest Furry Force episode to release today.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep 1-2 review wrote:
as will the fact that Papi the harpy looks and acts too young to be in a series this racy.

Isn't it pretty much a common practice for hentai to just stick some elf ears or some such on the girl characters so they can say it isn't a human child in that scene -- it's another race that just happens to look like that but in reality is much older. Pretty much the same here. Also, wouldn't this qualify as part of the "furry" genre?

Personally I can't get worked up one way or the other about any of the characters. If I were looking to get turned on by something it wouldn't be here. Maybe there is something wrong with me but I just don't connect with some fetishes that seem to be popular.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ep 1-2 review wrote:
as will the fact that Papi the harpy looks and acts too young to be in a series this racy.

Isn't it pretty much a common practice for hentai to just stick some elf ears or some such on the girl characters so they can say it isn't a human child in that scene -- it's another race that just happens to look like that but in reality is much older. Pretty much the same here. Also, wouldn't this qualify as part of the "furry" genre?

About the furry.
spoiler[ in one chapter of the manga a dog girl appears and is the fitting definition of a furry. she is covered in fur with a dog nose, ears, paws, and tail.]
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
i guess it's common to have ecchi series like this every season..

but with bestially... this is the first .. usually you see them in hentai... i guess it gave a whole meaning to the term "animal house" :/

read through a few chapters of the manga..

like most ecchi series now day.. i don't find them funny anymore.. Rolling Eyes

the only ecchi series i'm watching now is Food Wars.. because of the cooking.. already on episode 15.. hang in longer than i thought i would..
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
(maybe it's because i'm a girl but...) i haven't watched very many ecchi/harem/boob shows, and i find them mostly annoying Rolling Eyes (the big exception being Cat Planet Cuties (Asobi ni Ikuyo), i'm rather fond of that one Very Happy) i'm kinda liking MonMusu though, at least so far, it's got some charm and i don't find it distasteful. although, personally, i don't really like, um, Embarassed aspects of Cerea's design Razz. Papi's my fave so far Wink she's hilarious.

Razz were it not for reading the reviews, i wouldn't even remember the protag's name, since none of the characters ever call him by it! also because he constantly has some sort of gag expression, i was taken aback in this ep during Darling Master Kimihito-kun's speech to the girls because he had a normal expression for an extended period, i was like: "eh? that's what his face supposed to look like? oh yeah..." Wink
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:38 pm Reply with quote
And now with the status quo more properly set things can get underway in terms of goofiness. That is the problem with the first few episodes as that they're mostly setup
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8