• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release 1978 Gatchman Film With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Ancient days are usually called "The Classics" Nice they are doing the movie, but I'd be more excited if they bundled it with a re-release of the series dub instead.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
I didn't even know there was a film. And AL getting a release? Good news. I did always want to sit with my niece on this one but I think I should have done it awhile back. She's almost 14 now and I can barely get her away from PIGG World.
Bamble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
The older an anime show is, the lesser of a chance it has of selling well, according to the minds of the companies. I honestly never thought Sentai would ever even consider dubbing the film of Gatchaman simply for the reason that it was nearly four decades of age.

The difference with Gatchaman and most other 1970s anime is that it reached a widestream audience in the U.S. (albeit in an altered form) as Battle of the Planets. Even with the series and movie being marketed under their original name, there's obviously a sales boost of some description from a section of the more mainstream nostalgia crowd.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Do you suppose Sentai sold enough copies of Gatchaman Crowds to make them think there is a market for the original movie? I was surprised Crowds was licensed to begin with, but maybe there was a bigger audience for it than I suspected.

I know from my experiences on other forums like AS and MAL that there wasn't a very big base of viewers for Crowds. It's rarely recommended in suggestions threads, for instance. Fewer than a hundred people rated the show when it aired on Crunchy.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I saw a clip on Youtube some time ago of different ADV voice actors auditioning for Gachaman. They pretty much had all the regulars in it (Grant, Rial, Haag, Christian, Calene-Black, Weaver, Patton, Boone, etc)

Excited about Angelic Layer. I only have the ADV thinpak with no extras, so I'm curious as to if there will be any on this release. Also AL has, in my opinion, one of the greatest anime theme song openings ever.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
(Please tell me you didn't read just the headline and thought they woke up one morning and decided to do the movie... Rolling Eyes )

No, but there's no need to get snarky, okay? Eye roll completely unnecessary as well.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
I've seen the original Gatchaman vs Battle of the Planets, the japanese original is waay more hyper violet in it's original form. The Shocked 1972 - 74 TV series of Gatchaman may have been highly violent, but i think the original dub was done better done than other shows despite the heavy censoring of original batch. I found the dialog in later dubs were or sounded dumber than what the original dubbing came out, though i hear this more true to the original dialog. That can tell you that dubs CAN fix bad dialogs...anyways the Movie will be challenge, like others said, it's going be hard bring in new blood to want watch something so far removed from happy/less action packed Crowds series.

I actually prefer the BotP version of theme without the sing, it comes off better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2