• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Trigger TV Anime Gets New Series in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
I was aware that the anime was close to catching up with the manga, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to get extended with a filler arc instead of just ending after a year.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, though. World Trigger is a show I enjoy in spite of its terrible production values thanks to its story and characters, and while its writing staff includes some reliable people like Hiroyuki Yoshino, Natsuko Takahashi and Masahiro Yokotani, I'm not confident that they can come up with something as compelling as the manga's regular storyline.

Just a question for manga readers: is there a natural stopping point coming up for them to insert this filler arc or will they have to interrupt the B-rank wars?
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
The B-rank wars are still ongoing in the manga right now. There was a natural stopping point...and the anime just blew past it.
Tropical Blitz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
marvel knight wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
noobster wrote:
They chose to make original story for the the series because the current ongoing already catched up on the manga and the manga is currently in hiatus.

Nah i'd say the main reason is because the manga isn't doing the best in the rankings. (been below Bleach for most of the year, that means its in the danger zone.)

The staff is also quiet insane but were held back by adapting so this original series could be absolutely unreal. (Two of the main scripters of the anime have worked on Gundam, Code Geass, and Toradora.) Not to mention the director directed the great Outlaw Star and the person behind the music is the person behind the GITS and GITS Innocence ost's. If you had that staff and let them loose.... This new original anime could be insane..... Could be....

Where did you get that idea from? WT has improved in the rankings, at times beating Nisekoi and Toriko and has never been at the lower end below Bleach as far as I can recall. Bleach is always at the bottom, and WT isn't really ranked anymore considering the numerous breaks every other month/week due the author's poor health.
It got a decent sales boost too, with it selling more than a million copies in the first half of the year if I'm not mistaken.

I'm looking at the rankings right now, from its latest rank to its present rank -
9th
13th
absent
9th
absent
11th
5th
absent
colour page
10th
absent
absent

Do note that Nisekoi was always above it. And all of the series ranked below it (besides Bleach) have already been cancelled. Also, I got these from Crunchyroll

As Ashihara (author of World Trigger) mentioned on his Twitter account, the low rankings have to do with him taking more frequent breaks due to his health rather than an indication of low popularity. Those ranking to World Trigger aren't exactly accurate any more, if they can be after his statement on the matter.

And if you look at World Trigger's average ranking throughout the year rather than just the latest issues, it actually ranks about as well as Nisekoi in the mid range of the magazine.

From mangahelpers:

Average ranking of 2015 - VOL 34

"+" means that the series ended or moved to another magazine.

One Piece - 1.73
Assassination Classroom - 2
My Hero Academia - 2.37
Haikyuu - 3.82
Food Wars - 3.87
Black Clover - 4.45
Straighten Up - 4.5
Hinomaru Zumou - 6
Toriko - 6.39
Gintama - 6.85
PSI Kusou Saiki - 7.20
Nisekoi - 8.41
World Trigger - 8.71
Kagamigami - 9.07
Devily Man - 11
+Gakkyuu Houtei - 11.15
Kochikame - 11.16
Bleach - 11.32
+Ultra Battle Satellite - 11.9
+Judos - 12
+Takujou no Ageha - 12.33
+Hi-Fi Cluster - 12.71
Lady Justice - 13
+Cyborg Roggy - 13.5
+E-Robot - 13.5
+Sporting Salt - 13.5

Had World Trigger been below Bleach for most of the year, it would have already been axed.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:28 am Reply with quote
Well this is certainly interesting but I'm also pretty sure it's not just going a filler arc like people are assuming. Since the anime's already heading into the manga's current story arc it's likely it'll have some kind of original ending for that and then go into this and diverge from the manga entirely. Personally while I like the manga a lot, I'm not super attached to the story due to how slowly paced it so I'm curious to see where this goes though I was sort of hoping/assuming we'd get something like this from the get go so not sure how much I want to potentially sit through another full 50 episodes of original material if it proves not to be worthwhile. Guess we'll see what happens
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
The B-rank wars are still ongoing in the manga right now. There was a natural stopping point...and the anime just blew past it.

Just as I feared. They must have decided to extend the anime very late into its production then, because otherwise it would have made more sense to start the filler arc right after the large-scale invasion ended.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Well im game for more World Trigger even if its just filler
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Well this is certainly interesting but I'm also pretty sure it's not just going a filler arc like people are assuming. Since the anime's already heading into the manga's current story arc it's likely it'll have some kind of original ending for that and then go into this and diverge from the manga entirely.

The inclusion of Nasu and Suzunari-1 squads in the second opening pretty clearly signals that they intend to run the current anime course to the third round of the rank wars; given that, there almost certainly isn't time to come up with an anime-original ending to the story, given how many plot elements would need to be moved into an endgame state.

It's going to be a filler arc. God, the name even SOUNDS like a filler arc.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This is what I think will happen: the B-Class Rank Battles Arc will end on a cliffhanger, when the last episode airs in September. This new series will take it's place for a while. The original anime will return afterwards, when the manga is further ahead.

Similar to how the Fairy Tail anime ended in 2013 in the middle of the Grand Magic Games arc on a cliffhanger, was replaced with re-runs for a year, and then the anime returns in 2014 picking up where it left off.

I'm pretty confident given the people working on the show can put together something decent. If Daisuke Ashihara is involved then you can almost guarantee a decent story.
However, given the anime is catching up pretty quickly, expect this filler to have very slow pacing.

As to why they're not taking a hiatus, my guess is that they feel they still need the anime to push manga sales. It has shown in the past, that no matter how bad the anime is, it will always increase manga sales.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
For people who think the manga is doing bad and is in danger of being cancelled, you are sadly mistaken. It sold nearly 1.5 million copies in the first half of the year and was ranked 19 overall (12th best for Shuiesha).

World Trigger is only doing bad in rankings due to frequent breaks. Most series that have such an inconsistent release schedule would rank poorly.

The fact that the manga got an anime adaptation so quickly, is a testament as to how good the manga was and the potential that it had. Not to mention it was pretty much licensed from the get go.

At this point in time, only reason I can see World Trigger leaving Weekly Shonen Jump, is to move to a monthly magazine.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
This is what I think will happen: the B-Class Rank Battles Arc will end on a cliffhanger, when the last episode airs in September. This new series will take it's place for a while. The original anime will return afterwards, when the manga is further ahead.

Similar to how the Fairy Tail anime ended in 2013 in the middle of the Grand Magic Games arc on a cliffhanger, was replaced with re-runs for a year, and then the anime returns in 2014 picking up where it left off.

I'm pretty confident given the people working on the show can put together something decent. If Daisuke Ashihara is involved then you can almost guarantee a decent story.
However, given the anime is catching up pretty quickly, expect this filler to have very slow pacing.

As to why they're not taking a hiatus, my guess is that they feel they still need the anime to push manga sales. It has shown in the past, that no matter how bad the anime is, it will always increase manga sales.

Fairy Tail wasn't replaced with re-runs. It was totally substituted by Tanken Driland 100-nen no mahou anime. This anime got so much hate from Fairy Tail fans, just because of that.

What anime does is coverage for the franchise, the exact same thing as advertisement.
Advertisement role is bring potential clients to try the product. If somebody likes the product it will turn into a client. A client isn't influenced anymore by the advertisement.
The coverage is in the beginning massive, but with time it gets less and less, given the people that already reached previously; to the point of just getting 1 or 2 potential clients from time to time to try the product(take as an example Fairy Tail that stopped for 1 entire year its anime without any change in the manga sales and when the anime returned there were also no significant change in manga sales!).
World Trigger has almost 1 year of coverage, this means that most of the core of potential clients already tried their product and decided if they want to turn into real clients or not. So almost certainly the reason why they will do an original series isn't because its pushing the manga sales, but because it is profitable and inside, or surpassed, their expectations for that anime.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
AutoOps007 wrote:

Fairy Tail wasn't replaced with re-runs. It was totally substituted by Tanken Driland 100-nen no mahou anime. This anime got so much hate from Fairy Tail fans, just because of that.

What anime does is coverage for the franchise, the exact same thing as advertisement.
Advertisement role is bring potential clients to try the product. If somebody likes the product it will turn into a client. A client isn't influenced anymore by the advertisement.
The coverage is in the beginning massive, but with time it gets less and less, given the people that already reached previously; to the point of just getting 1 or 2 potential clients from time to time to try the product(take as an example Fairy Tail that stopped for 1 entire year its anime without any change in the manga sales and when the anime returned there were also no significant change in manga sales!).
World Trigger has almost 1 year of coverage, this means that most of the core of potential clients already tried their product and decided if they want to turn into real clients or not. So almost certainly the reason why they will do an original series isn't because its pushing the manga sales, but because it is profitable and inside, or surpassed, their expectations for that anime.

No, Driland only took it's timeslot. Fairy Tail re-ran select episodes for a year under the title 'Fairy Tail Best'. Had Fairy Tail not gone on hiatus, Driland would've aired in the Fairy Tail Best timeslot. So technically, it was replaced by re-runs.

Fairy dropped 300k-400k sales when the anime went. I admit the sales didn't go up that much when it returned, but that's because fairy tail returned in april, so it was 1-2 volumes short. The changes were not big or small, just moderate.
Manga sales rankings often show that sales go down without the anime.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:

No, Driland only took it's timeslot. Fairy Tail re-ran select episodes for a year under the title 'Fairy Tail Best'. Had Fairy Tail not gone on hiatus, Driland would've aired in the Fairy Tail Best timeslot. So technically, it was replaced by re-runs.

Fairy dropped 300k-400k sales when the anime went. I admit the sales didn't go up that much when it returned, but that's because fairy tail returned in april, so it was 1-2 volumes short. The changes were not big or small, just moderate.
Manga sales rankings often show that sales go down without the anime.

You're confusing things! Both in the TV time-slots and the Manga sales.

I will show the programming schedule of Fairy Tail since its beginning.
Quote:

Regular Transmission from October 12, 2009 to March 28, 2011
- Fairy Tail, Monday 19:30 to 20:00
(Note: Substituted Hikaru no Go Rebroadcast and was substituted by Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, where it was transferred to another time-slot)

Rebroadcast from November 1, 2009 to March 28, 2010
- I can't wait until tomorrow!! Fairy Tail Sunday 9:00 to 9:30
(Note: rebroadcast of 20 first episodes.
Substituted a variety program and was Substituted by another variety program)

Regular Transmission from April 2, 2011 to March 30, 2013
- Fairy Tail, Saturday 10:30 to 11:00
(Note: Substituted Bakugan Battle Brawlers and was substituted by Tanken Driland 1000)

Rebroadcast from April 7, 2011 to March 29, 2012
- Recap! Fairy Tail, Thursday 17:30 to 18:00
(Note: Substituted Bakugan Battle Brawlers rebroadcast and was substituted by Shirokuma Cafe anime)

Rebroadcast from April 4, 2013 to March 27, 2014
- Fairy Tail Best!, Thursady 17:30 to 18:00
(Note: Substituted Shirokuma Cafe and was substituted by a medical information program)

Regular Transmission from April 5, 2014 and continuing
- Fairy Tail, Saturday 10:30 to 11:00
(Note: Substituted Tanken Driland 1000)

When Fairy Tail ended(went on hiatus) it didn't had any other timeslot! Fairy Tail Best rebroadcast in fact had to substitute another anime, Shirokuma Cafe.
Also Fairy Tail Best isn't the first time Fairy Tail makes a rebroadcast. The only really special thing about Fairy Tail Best is that the episodes weren't in sequence. And note that Rebroadcasts are always done in different time-slots than its regular broadcast. Normally close but still before prime-time during week days, where people is either at work or in school, and so little to no people watch the channel.
when the new Fairy Tail series in 2014 returned, Fairy Tail Best ended and its time-slot didn't went to Fairy Tail, but a totally different thing.
There was no such thing as "Fairy Tail best Timeslot" when Tanken Driland 1000 took over, and in reality the 10:30 to 11:00 Saturday is a way better Timeslot than Thursday 17:30 to 18:00, so if that was the case Tanken Drilan in fact got the "best Timeslot".

I will show the volumes situation of the manga:
(Note: The years are counted from December of the previous year to November of that year)
Quote:

2011 -> 6 new volumes, best volumes: 570.446k, others volumes: at most 545.045k, Series: 4.701M
2012 -> 6 new volumes(only was counted 3 days of the 6th volume), best volumes: 586.015k and 581.767k, others volumes: at most 521,929, Seires: 4.128M
START HIATUS(In reality it started in the beginning of 2013)
2013 -> 5 new volumes(and sales of the 6th volume of last year), best volumes: 566.039k to 448k, other volumes: at most 422.566k, Series: 3.790M
END HIATUS
2014 -> 5 new volumes, best volumes: 561.376k to 503.333k, other volumes:at most 466.380k, Series: 3.276M

Quote:

2011 - 2012 -> Increase of 15.569k copies in the best volume sold.
2012 - 2013 -> Decrease 19.976k copies in the best volume sold. The hiatus of the anime decreased 3.4% of sales(if we assume that the decrease is only due to the hiatus)
2013 - 2014 -> Decrease 4,279k copies in the best volume sold. The return of the anime avoided 2.6% of decrease in sales(If we assume that without anime the decrease in sales would be the same as last year).

While the overall sales seem to be decreasing a lot, in reality this is due to the decreasing in volumes accounted per year. Yes, there is some decrease both in new volumes and old volume sales, but is nothing compared with 1 volume not accounted.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
I'm looking at the rankings right now, from its latest rank to its may rank -
9th
13th
absent
9th
absent
11th
5th
absent
colour page
10th
absent
absent

Do note that Nisekoi was always above it. And all of the series ranked below it (besides Bleach) have already been cancelled. Also, I got these from Crunchyroll

And I'll provide where Bleach has been in each of those issues, as well as the total number of ranked series in those issues. I'll skip issues where at least one of those series was absent.

July 16th, 2015
World Trigger: 13th
Bleach: 16th
Total ranked series: 16

July 2nd, 2015
World Trigger: 9th
Bleach: 15th
Total ranked series: 15

June 18th, 2015
World Trigger: 11th
Bleach: 12th

June 11th, 2015
World Trigger: 5th
Bleach: 10th
Total ranked series: 13

May 21st, 2015
World Trigger: 10th
Bleach: 12th
Total ranked series: 14

May 14th, 2015
World Trigger: 12th
Bleach: 14th
Total ranked series: 14

April 23rd, 2015
World Trigger: 12th
Bleach: 13th
Total ranked series: 17

April 9th, 2015
World Trigger: 10th
Bleach: 11th

April 2nd, 2015
World Trigger: 4th
Bleach: 11th

So as far back as I bothered to check, while World Trigger has had its ups and downs (seems to be more downs than ups), it has never once ranked below Bleach.

Zhou-BR wrote:
Just as I feared. They must have decided to extend the anime very late into its production then, because otherwise it would have made more sense to start the filler arc right after the large-scale invasion ended.

They may do something like in Yu-Gi-Oh! where a group of people suddenly invade whatever's going on at the moment, and the main characters have to set everything aside to defeat these guys before resuming with the story like nothing ever happened.

Well, I had the Noah arc in mind, if anyone's familiar with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2