• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Music (themed) Anime Recommendation Thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Definitely Princess Tutu. I went into the series already liking classical music and knowing a lot about it as a result, and that really added to my enjoyment (though the extras on the disc were fantastic at filling in those not as familiar as I am, though it's not quite the same). Most episodes took their mini-plots from ballets (and in turn, fairy tales) and played the music composed for said ballets throughout the episode. But it also used a lot of classical music that wasn't from ballets (Pictures at an Exhibition was quite commonly used in the second half, and a lot of character themes weren't from ballets either), all of it fit the mood perfectly, but some of those pieces still had stories behind them, which also integrally tied into the plot expertly. So this isn't just a series that plays the classical music because it's pretty much all public domain and cheap (cutting that cost drastically, I'm sure), it lives and breathes it, it's seeped into every pore. I think there are musical students at the academy too, but we just mostly follow the ballet ones anyway (I think some musical ones might be one-shot characters, believe it or not, it's been a while since I've rewatched this series, I should fix that asap....)

Also, Interstella 5555, which is both a feature length music video for an entire Daft Punk album, but it also follows a fictional alien space band who gets kidnapped by some Earth tycoon to win a golden record for him (yeah, whatevs, don't think too hard). There's no dialogue, outside of that which is in the songs, but it's a pretty awesome way to go through an entire album. And it does its best to fit the animation to the mood to move the story along. It really is something that can only be described as an "experience" as cheesy as that might sound.

Also known as the not-really-depressing Sanrio kid's film from the 80s (yes, after making Sea Prince and Ringing Bell, they made something not totally depressing), there's also Yosei Florence (which I used to own on a VHS way back in the day as A Journey Through Fairyland. It was sort of like Japan's attempt at a Fantastia like story that follows an Oboe player (oboist?) named Michael who likes to play for the flowers in the greenhouse at the music school he attends. He falls asleep one day and is greeted by a fairy who takes him to some enchanted music land filled with flowers. It's the sort of thing Discotek should've gotten to go with their other Sanrio things (they still might someday, who knows!) In the meantime, it's actually easy to find on youtube. It ranges from Fantastia-like to more straight up anime-like at times and things in-between
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I have not seen the show, but from what I have been reading about it I think that Love Live! School idol project might qualify for this thread.
Would anybody who has seen it care to comment on that?
Sure. School idols are idol units formed as clubs to promote their school to Japan. Love Live centers around a group of students who form one in order to attract more applicants to their school to avoid it being shut down from low enrollment. Of course, they original trio has no idea what they're doing, but manage to struggle for recognition from the student body and recruits more members in order to steadily increase in popularity. Finally, they reach nine members (some of whom actually know what they're doing) and aim to become the top school idol unit in Japan.

Naturally there's plenty of performances and the music is good if you like Jpop. The story overall is a little generic but it executes well. A lot of the show trades on interactions between the characters and that's where people usually latch on (arguments over "best girl" are common even though it's obviously Maki Very Happy). It's worth a look.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Saffire.
I think that Love Live! School idol project definitely is worthy of being in this recommendation thread.
And I hope to be able to watch it myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2