• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Heaven Sense

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
It's a shame Yoshida wasn't asked real questions on FFXIV other than generic questions you can ask anyone. Seems whoever did the interview was assigned the job without ever touching the game. Kinda pointless interview.

Like what exactly?
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
It's a shame Yoshida wasn't asked real questions on FFXIV other than generic questions you can ask anyone. Seems whoever did the interview was assigned the job without ever touching the game. Kinda pointless interview.

Here's the scenario: There's limited time for an interview! Given a choice between:
- Asking questions about FFXIV's position, philosophy, and current developments affecting online gaming from a really interesting person with great insights that will appeal to a broad readership, and
- Asking only the nerdiest FFXIV questions that only the hardcore players will care about

Yeah, I'm gonna go for the former. Maybe I'd do the latter if I were writing for a FFXIV or MMO site, but this is ANN.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
So what you are saying that asking questions about a topic that's over 2 years old (and the game has been out for 5) and a "savage version" of a dungeon that only hardcore FFXIV people would only have access to is supposed to be thought provoking content to a casual person reading on ANN? Couldn't it better have been talking about trying to sell the expansion to new people in ANN help the game population? Or was that not the purpose of asking about the expansion other than Savage? See my point? It's not thought provoking, you are talking about a topic that has been asked about a billion times.. 2 years ago at that.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
Cool interview. I don't see why people are ripping it apart. Chill out.

Even if you didn't like the questions, some interesting tidbits came out in the answers:

- the raid for patch 3.1 is 80% complete
- they're considering implementing PVP "seasons"
- Yoshi-P was strongly against showing the Viera race

I haven't been keeping up with every FFXIV interview, so that info is new and interesting to me. Razz

Regarding the Au Ra, I was also wondering about its low-key promotion. hehe.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
It was just boring Embarassed We learned nothing new if that was the point of the interview. Shame the Director still has to answer those questions for 2 straight years. As for the Viera that was the April Fool's thing from 2 years ago as well. I think people didn't talk about the Aura much simply because it was old news again especially considering that he's changed his answer on the Aura a few times after criticism because they didn't bring the Viera because they didn't want another humanoid with bunny ears.. so they brought a humanoid with horns instead. LOL

I'm at least relieved that there's a lot of new players to FFXIV even after the 2 year mark of the relaunch. Heavensward is a great expansion and am enjoying it a lot. I just wish this so-called interview managed to get more people interested in the great game rather than constantly bringing up the failures of his predecessor. Yoshi saved SquareEnix's failed launch. I wish more people did their homework and gave the guy some credit.
Yadilie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
Ignorance is bliss. Wish I didn't know they had Viera concept art and was considering putting them in the game. Au Ra males look terrible and the females don't look that much different from other humanoids. Bad reasoning behind dumping them.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
It's disheartening that the Kickstarter for Red Ash isn't faring well. That 180-second displaying only development of the game and a small footage of it in its alpha stage just wasn't enough to get more people interested in it. Maybe there will be a surprising twist to this Kickstarter occurring within the next day or two, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Yeah.

Another flaw in the Red Ash Kickstarter was the timing itself. Not only were huge Kickstarters already taking money from a lot of people with limited funds for stuff potentially years away like Kickstarter, like Shenmue, but also despite launching at a huge convention, opening it July 4th weekend when most people are away was pretty crazy and I wouldn't be surprised if it cost them those important early days.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bloodstained works the long-deprived Castlevania crowd,

Mirror Of Fate came out back in 2013.....and even if you don't want to acknowledge LOS there is Harmony of Despair so I wouldn't say Castlevania fans have been long-deprived compared to other fanbases that have gone anywhere from 10 to 20 years without new entries in their series.

belvadeer wrote:

1. There is still the bitter resentment fans have over being let down regarding Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled. While Red Dash is made in the spirit of MML3, it's not the same thing to some people. They genuinely wanted MML3 and they worked hard to contribute designs and ideas to it. It's obvious what the problem is here, and you could make the same case for Mighty No. 9 not being Mega Man Classic, but you have to remember the Classic series has years of tenure to its name.

How does that bitter resentment factor into the discontent with Red Ash? since it wasn't Inafune's fault Legends 3 was cancelled.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
El-ahrairah wrote:
Was that a Watership Down joke AND a Big O reference? My gray day has been suddenly filled with color ;D

If Final Fantasy XIV had Viera players, I bet most of them would be named things like "Hawkbit" and "Hyzenthlay" and "Thlayli."

Yadilie wrote:
Ignorance is bliss. Wish I didn't know they had Viera concept art and was considering putting them in the game. Au Ra males look terrible and the females don't look that much different from other humanoids. Bad reasoning behind dumping them.

If they'd included Viera, you could make Balthier-like humans and Fran-like Viera and pretend they were having adventures in the Final Fantasy XII sequel we should've seen instead of that Revenant Wings claptrap.

As it stands, the best you can do is to make a Balthier facsimile and pretend that Fran went back home to celebrate her Life Day.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
How does that bitter resentment factor into the discontent with Red Ash? since it wasn't Inafune's fault Legends 3 was cancelled.

I never said the resentment was logical or rational. A lot of people look at Red Ash and think, "It's still not Mega Man Legends 3 though." Yes, Mega Man is not Inafune's anymore to command and yes it wasn't his fault it was cancelled, but this sort of thing happens. Heck some people have already moaned that MN9 doesn't even try to capture what made Mega Man so good, despite only playing the demo for it. "It's okay, but it's still not Mega Man to me." There are those who have unreasonable expectations you know.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I never said the resentment was logical or rational. A lot of people look at Red Ash and think, "It's still not Mega Man Legends 3 though." Yes, Mega Man is not Inafune's anymore to command and yes it wasn't his fault it was cancelled, but this sort of thing happens. Heck some people have already moaned that MN9 doesn't even try to capture what made Mega Man so good, despite only playing the demo for it. "It's okay, but it's still not Mega Man to me." There are those who have unreasonable expectations you know.

Should've known. Sad
Southkaio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I proudly support the release of Keiji Inafune's Red Ash: The Indelible Legend.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Red Ash was funded completely by Fuse. Every other donation is going towards stretch goals. I feel a bit suspicious of this, it came out of nowhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2