• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Oh man, Asterisk.

You are a completely generic piece of shit.

But you're a decently animated piece of shit, your main heroine is godlike, and as someone who's mostly stayed away from your dime-a-dozen Battle Harem brethren I'm in the mood for some generic trash.

So I'll follow you. N-not that I l-like you or anything!
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
Whoa, Saya's weapon....that is badass.

I suppose by now, the show isn't going to go clear one episode without fan service. We got wet girls and a freshly showered Claudia at the end. Yeah...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
So somehow getting wet caused their shirts to unbutton themselves... Pretty good ending theme, I like Saya and Julis was a lot more tolerable this episode. I'm getting more into this show.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
This show is feeling much like Infinite Stratos, which means that I'll see this to the end. Hey, at least the main character is already quite capable of handling himself in a fight instead of starting out as a weakling.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
This show is feeling much like Infinite Stratos, which means that I'll see this to the end. Hey, at least the main character is already quite capable of handling himself in a fight instead of starting out as a weakling.

on the surface, the harem set is pretty standard filled with cliché personalities, however a key difference is that our male protag Ayato is a "blessed with fate" character and actually has a background presented from the get go beyond "lucky male gets to meet all the lovely ladies".

This second episode has cemented its place for me to follow this season.

Just to be clear, the reason why I am choosing this one among the odd abundance of magical academy releases this season is simply due to effective execution of the derivative material, and I more then enjoy a decently made magical academy sandwich.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
So in episode 2 we get a new female addition to the cast. She seems to be directly from The Testament of Sister New Devil without significant change.

Same blue hair though she seems to have two braids instead of one. Same figure, same flat personality, same relationship to the main character (childhood friend). The only differences I can see are the new uniform and new name. The separation was six years this time instead of five. Apparently they even practiced fighting together as kids.

I'm enjoying this show, but they are not making it easy.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
episode two

So are the weapons going to fly around in any way that's useful or is that just going to get tossed aside now that the MC has had his badass moment in taming his lazer sword?

This will also be the 2nd show this season where I find myself rooting for a pairing that, realistically, doesn't stand much of a chance of happening. In this case, Ayato + Saya.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Said it that the extra seat next to him would be a girl added to the harem. But did not expect quite the cliché childhood friend, that is one that is flat, and a light haired kuudere. Okay I like the character type so I am somewhat happy.

Did I forget some aspect of the first episode? What reason was it that she had to show him around and is obviously totally crushing on him now. I thought that they just got interrupted rather some reason that would further a relationship between them.

We all know who the cloaked people are, right? One of them jumping in with the same axe as another character in the episode totally makes it obvious, doesn't it? As the audience it feels kind of silly when they say there are no leads.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Did I forget some aspect of the first episode? What reason was it that she had to show him around and is obviously totally crushing on him now. I thought that they just got interrupted rather some reason that would further a relationship between them.

The main character saved her life in that duel so she felt indebted to him. She said so in the first episode. But yeah it was weird how suddenly her behaviour towards the main character changed.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
But yeah it was weird how suddenly her behaviour towards the main character changed.

Or maybe not. it doesn't seem that she has much experience with anyone including boys who can break her shell -- not only force her to interact with them but also hold their own against her in a duel. And she was also revealed to be lonely and aware of her friendless state.

A nice touch to it is Ayato's childhood friend appearing -- note how Julius watches from the background as he is chatting with her. Maybe the best thing about her character is that she has some surface awareness of her vulnerability. Or perhaps what it is she is missing.

The steps for her warming to Ayato might have happened quickly, but at least they are there.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Or maybe not. it doesn't seem that she has much experience with anyone including boys who can break her shell -- not only force her to interact with them but also hold their own against her in a duel. And she was also revealed to be lonely and aware of her friendless state

I think I'll have to take back some of what I said after looking at the beginning of episode 2 again. The conversation goes a lot more naturally than I remembered. Though I do think that there was really no reason yet for Julis to open up to Ayato like that. From what we have learned Julis likes to keep people at a fair distance and so I didn't feel like there was enough trust built between Julis and Ayato for Julis to share her motives and social life issues with him.

But I can accept all that as Julis' lack of experience with guys. It's possible that no other guy has tried to approach her before.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I love these type of anime, so this season has been pretty fun for me since there are 3 of these airing.

The OP is awesome and the ED is a lovely English song.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
We all know who the cloaked people are, right? One of them jumping in with the same axe as another character in the episode totally makes it obvious, doesn't it? As the audience it feels kind of silly when they say there are no leads.

MacFail uses a double bladed axe that is yellow near the top of the haft . The assailant uses a single bladed axe that is black near the top of the haft.

The difference can be the result of inconsistency in animation or weapons having different activation modes--Saya's grip, for example, can turn into either a pistol or a giant grenade launcher--, but it can also be because it's a different axe. At this point we are not quite sure it's the same axe.

Hopefully it does not turn out to be MacFail. Then again, this series isn't known for its originality, though it did have one thing that is surprising: The main character is unabashedly a prodigy--a fact that is recognized in-universe by his being a scholarship student and the heir to a family dojo. It's quite a refreshing break from the conga line of average but lucky underdogs and in-universe supposed failures that popular the main character slot in these kinds of series.

Last edited by Raftina on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice catch of the differences.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Quote:
The main character is unabashedly a prodigy--a fact that is recognized in-universe by his being a scholarship student and the heir to a family dojo. It's quite a refreshing break from the conga line of average but lucky underdogs and in-universe supposed failures that popular the main character slot in these kinds of series.

The only difference between the main character here and underdogs you mention is that he has not publically been rated a failure. He is still this wimpy looking guy and as far as I can tell only a couple of people know he is good.

A hero has to be an underdog or no more than average appearing. If he looked like MacFail or was already acknowledged as the strongest there would be no story. This is the basic plot of almost any show that involves competition, even Initial D is no different. I can't remember the show but there is a scene where a really big guy is congratulated for not letting a much smaller man get him mad. His comment is "I can't win. If he wins I'm a loser and if I win I'm a bully"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12