• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AntiMagic Academy "The 35th Test Platoon" (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Well I didn't quite understand all of it, but whatever because that fight was awesome.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:
This not a magic school. Do you people read the title? Those kids don't use magic.

I think the second episode shows that they use magic. At a minimum the two main characters do. I suspect that it is like a SWAT team using heavy weaponry to counter problems where the regular police are out gunned. The fact that they are countering "evil" magic is implied. The preview implies that they will be adding an actual witch to the team next episode.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I decided to withhold my comments for episode 1 because I read the manga. But since episode 2 is out which is what the manga covers up, I can finally share my thoughts (which isn't much).

I felt that these first two episodes are really rushed, the pacing is way too fast for my liking but I think it might slow down now. It feels as if they didn't give enough time to draw out the scene between Ohtori and Kusanagi's first meeting. In manga, it gave a lot of insight about Kusanagi but, in the anime, it seems like the whole point is "whoa I met you before." In addition, Ohtori's flashback scene/motivation for becoming an Inquisitor is a bit muddled now in comparison to the manga. I expect that'll be made clear later on.

Overall, aside from the fast pacing and how rushed it seemed, the show is doing alright for now. It's not too exciting and but the fight help build the world more (something the manga didn't do well). Although, the fight felt lacking in the sense that it wasn't very exciting for me. The manga did it better with spoiler[Kusanagi being able to change his sword into different kinds of swords (rapier, longsword, etc.)]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:I think the second episode shows that they use magic.

Enough so that it made me wonder if the title is wrong. It seems that the Academy is not anti-magic so much as they are anti-witch.

And I noticed from the contract that Lapis stipulated "anhillate witches" where Takeru modified that to "evil witches." So I suspect that there will be witch allies before the story is done.

All that aside I am not used to thinking of the Inquisition as the "good guys."
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 am Reply with quote
Was it just me, or was Lapis kinda doing the FF Victory Fanfare?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Who would have guess he would turn into a Makai knight. And of course a "Vlad" is represented by twin guns, has multiple seals, and has a master that has long white hair.

The sniper seems to oddly feel the most satisfying for now, at least to me for some reason.

HaruhiToy wrote:

Makes ne think of the game Dragon Age: Inquisition. In particular I played it largely in favour of good magic users.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
@HaruhiToy

The title of the third episode is A Witch Joins, or words to that effect.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think that might refer to the hat wearing girl that was captured at the end of this episode. The butcher/necromancer dude said something about her being the daughter of a powerful witch and the opening suggests that she joins the main character's group.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
@Cam0

That was my impression. She shows up in the opening so she is the logical candidate. She showed signs of not being happy with the necromancer's activities.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

Who would have guess he would turn into a Makai knight.

Wearing the armor of the "S" Planetarian from Concrete Revolutio! After forming a contract a la Seraph of the End! I was already having trouble separating this from Knight and Asterisk, but now it's just getting ridiculous. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti

I've always thought that execution is more important than originality. Though I'll admit we usually get more space between similar shows. At this point I think it will take a couple of more episodes to separate the good and the bad from the seriously ugly. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't disagree with that, but as yet none of these have stood out from the others enough with their execution to excuse their unoriginality.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I'm not sure it's all that clear that they actually are. It's not as if the main cast starting out allied with with an organization that isn't exactly all so great, actually is unprecedented. I'm not making any specific predictions in this area (yet, at least), I just don't think anything that's happened so far really cements any sort of good guy status.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
Actually, from all what I've seen, yeah, this Inquisition is a sort of "AntiMagic (hint) Special Force", which deals with (evil) witches and wizards.

Which is curious, because real Inquisition mostly disdained "witchery accusations as "superstition".

Spanish Inquisition wrote:
The real question is: are we to believe that witchcraft occurred in a given situation simply because of what the witches claim? No: it is clear that the witches are not to be believed, and the judges should not pass sentence on anyone, unless the case can be proven with external and objective evidence sufficient to convince everyone who hears it. (...).
Alonso de Salazar Frías, 1610

As for the anime: I see nothing special in this story about Magic-NotMagic Academies with red-haired girls calling pervert to the MC , except that this time the A-rank student is joining the low-rank squadron, not vice versa.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Which is curious, because real Inquisition mostly disdained "witchery accusations as "superstition".

I suspect the reason for that was that they quickly realized how easy it was for individuals to level accusations and people they happened not to like as a political tool. The general illiteracy of the time would have made it a fertile filed for scaring people into thinking there were actual witches and demons walking among them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7