• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sega Files 'Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria' Trademark

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
I would not be surprised if this a mobile game, but I do wish to note 3 things:

1) The older game crowd in Japan and in US is quite different. Japanese full time workers spend much more time at work, commuting and over time than in US. The story is quite similar in HK and Korea (but I think the Japanese is THE worse in overtime and commuting). It is hard to expect older Japanese gamers to stick with consoles, and will like prefer to game with smart-phones and 3DS/Vita.

2) I think a lot of gamers don't realise how expensive it is to produce a full console/PC game - it is a multi-hundred million USD deal, and the price of games has actually gone down over the years. Go read Activision Blizzard annual reports and the background Konami-Kojima fiasco (MGS5 was REALLY expensive to make with large cost overrun; so the Kojima fiasco does have a story that favours Konami's view). It is also for this reason many game companies stick to series for stable earning and cash flow and not take risk on doing something different (suddenly you will realise how much risk Nintendo been taking).

3) A corollary of 1 & 2 is that many younger gamers have limited money to spend. Older gamers (Japanese or American) have far more dispensable money to spend. It is reasonable to market your product to people who are willing to spend. In US, older gamer spending habit is not all that different with younger gamers, but the story is different in Japan.

So before you complain, the story is not always really black and white. I always wanted a really nice game (yes I want a new VC game), but there is a Japanese gamer, game company employee and shareholders perspective of the story, which may differ from the views of a game fanboy or fangirl.

As for Sega, if you actually check Sega financial reports, most money they make come from Panchiko... There is a financial aspect of making money, but I still see gambling that is marketed to middle or lower class as immoral as it encourages people that are most needed in financial literacy to waste money when it is better off to use to invest that money for the future.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I don't think the PSP versions were made purely for cheaper development costs though. The first PSP made was partly a rush job to concide with the anime, and the fact the PSP was a bigger platform in it's home country. The second one, OK that was cheap, but it was largely the same game using hardly any of it's own assets, expansive and better as it was.

The devs specifically cited development costs when asked in an interview why they were changing to PSP.

You're right about there being more PSPs in Japan. However, VC sales in Japan only accounted for ~20% of global VC sales.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
The "development costs" excuse never made sense to me.

They had the custom engine and reusable art assets from the original game. Too me, it seems like it would have been more work to create a game from the ground up on the PSP than it would have to use what they already had on the PS3.

I mean, they certainly were not strangers to re-using content. As great as the third game was, it re-used quite a bit from the second.... If you got sick of seeing the same maps over and over again in VC2, you were in for a rude surprise in the third game... Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I skipped VC2 and went straight to 3 so I never noticed any re-used maps. Would love to see more from the Valkyria universe and have some more fun with its semi-unique gameplay.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, I'm expecting a mobile game (hence the number-free "generic universe" title), or even worse...a MMORPG.

Which is too bad, as I've been hooked on both the anime stylings and the direct military strategy of the first game since I first got my PS3.
And I'd go on to other games, if I could just get past that darn stage with the supertank. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2