• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NANA -- general discussion.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I guess everyone's forgotten about this series... Just saw the ep 37 Raw, and I won't post plot, but thi8s series is losing some of the slice-of-life characteristics it had, and spinning into "arcs" of storylines, especially with the recent developements. This show is supposed to be 50 total? I hope it doesn't drag. Not a manga reader (not fluent enough to read, and the English manga is waaay behind, plus I enjoy watching a music-related anime with the sound...)

But I love [some] of the characters, some really human emotions and stories (like spoiler[Osaki Nana saying that she could have a child with Ren but did not want to because...I think she wasn't confident enough?] Or spoiler[Komatsu Nana's helplessness after her pregnancy and Takumi confronting her].) Though after some time it's boiled down into Soap Opera-ish almost. Anyone stil following this series?
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:58 pm Reply with quote
It's not that no one's following it; we're all trying our hardest to follow it, but the fansubbed episodes come out once a month, if we're lucky. I just started trying to learn Japanese this year, so there's no way in heck I'd be able to watch raws. Maybe with a shounen series, but NANA is just too dialogue intensive.

And I agree, not having sound in the manga takes a lot away from the experience, especially if you've seen the anime first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how did I miss this thread before.

I am completely obsessed with NANA, it's definitely my favourite anime at the moment. I love it so much that I actually broke down and read the scanlations, even though I usually don't, especially for a licensed series...but I have been buying what's available in English, through my Shoujo Beat subscription (which sadly just ended...not renewing right now because I'll be changing addresses shortly).

I really love NANA for how real it seems, even when it is very soap opera-ish. I guess it just shows how life can be a soap opera, because I believe that everything that has happened so far could really happen.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I really love NANA for how real it seems, even when it is very soap opera-ish. I guess it just shows how life can be a soap opera, because I believe that everything that has happened so far could really happen.

That really is one of its biggest appeals, isn't it? Everything that's happened, from cheating boyfriends to (episode 30+ spoiler) spoiler[Hachi's pregnancy] to unrequited love could happen, and could happen all at once, too. It manages to take those soap-opera elements and weave them together to prevent them from being too outlandish nor too much at once. The prologues and epilogues also give you a sense of longevity, of looking back at what happened with more wisdom, and for me adds a sense of urgency to see what is going to occur. I also rather like how they take turns in the episodes. One episode is say, Hachi and Shin issues, the next (like episode 35), covers issues in Trapnest and Nana, etc. They don't try to cram it in all at once, but neither do they neglect a character for episode after episode. Now granted, I'm most interested in the Hachi and Nana stuff, so I could easily skip over Trapnest issues (except those involving Shin), but it's nice to have that added suspense between episodes, wondering just might happen next.

That's one of the nice things too, I really don't know how this show will end up resolving itself. I can't wait to see.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:

That's one of the nice things too, I really don't know how this show will end up resolving itself. I can't wait to see.

I know what you mean, I really can't predict this series, just as I couldn't predict that Paradise Kiss would end spoiler[with Yukari and George broken up.]

Even from reading ahead in the manga, spoiler[that have "flashforwards" as I call them, where it's shown that Nana is believed dead and also shows Satsuki, Hachi's daughter (who has Takumi's colouring so that pretty much clears up who the daddy is there) and gives a look at the relationship between some of the characters (like we know that Hachi and Shin are still fairly close, Yasu has appeared too and Nobu has been mentioned and maybe appeared too, I don't remember).] I still don't really know how things are going to end, though I suspect that spoiler[Nana and Hachi will reunite and we'll have a decently happy ending...but I don't know how.]
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah I see what you mean about the subs. Only one group is subbing it (which is a shame really), but I think Nana is one of the easier raws to understand. I'm not *fluent* in Japanese, have only studied it for about 4 years, but a lot of the situational dialogue is pretty easy to understand in this anime. Most of the time they use casual speech, in varying dialects, and maybe you might have to look up some words or phrases such as spoiler[tsuwari or tamashi, or whatever...(watch enough subs and even cliches that no one uses in real life will come second nature without the subs)] or other less known contextual words. But they speak in terms that normal people can understand, and even these contextual words are normal phenomenon, and you'll know what I mean in a second...

Compared to watching raws of other anime such as My-Otome or Last Exile or Eureka7. Wow I tried that. In addition to the normalcy of speech, you throw in a whole slew of specific contextual phrases derived from Kanji compounds that mean somthing very specific to the show (such as the phenomenon in Eureka, or a lot of other technical, mainly action shows) and then you really have to know what they're talking about in order to make sense of everything. I liked Stand Alone Complex enough to want to watch the raws for that, but I got so frustrated that I ended up just buying the Licensed dubbed DVDs, (and I don't mind the VAs too much for the Western release anyway)

And it's not extremely flowerly Japanese either, like in Ouran or OtoBoku, so you don't have to go mentally truncating off the endings to understand everything. Of coure to begin with maybe my understanding of Japanese from this point is not the best approach, but you learn a lot if you start somewhere like that.

Of course if you really aren't that knowledgeable in Japanese, don't worry about it. Even though I studied it in school, there are great websites like 'about' and 'kanji-a-day' that I used pretty much every time I'd sit down and study Japanese.

And yeah, I love the unpredictability in shows like this because they try to emulate the unpredictability of life as well (like Honey and Clover did)
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
LiuXuande wrote:
Ah I see what you mean about the subs. Only one group is subbing it (which is a shame really), but I think Nana is one of the easier raws to understand. I'm not *fluent* in Japanese, have only studied it for about 4 years, but a lot of the situational dialogue is pretty easy to understand in this anime. Most of the time they use casual speech, in varying dialects, and maybe you might have to look up some words or phrases such as spoiler[tsuwari or tamashi, or whatever...(watch enough subs and even cliches that no one uses in real life will come second nature without the subs)] or other less known contextual words. But they speak in terms that normal people can understand, and even these contextual words are normal phenomenon, and you'll know what I mean in a second...

Compared to watching raws of other anime such as My-Otome or Last Exile or Eureka7. Wow I tried that. In addition to the normalcy of speech, you throw in a whole slew of specific contextual phrases derived from Kanji compounds that mean somthing very specific to the show (such as the phenomenon in Eureka, or a lot of other technical, mainly action shows) and then you really have to know what they're talking about in order to make sense of everything. I liked Stand Alone Complex enough to want to watch the raws for that, but I got so frustrated that I ended up just buying the Licensed dubbed DVDs, (and I don't mind the VAs too much for the Western release anyway)

And it's not extremely flowerly Japanese either, like in Ouran or OtoBoku, so you don't have to go mentally truncating off the endings to understand everything. Of coure to begin with maybe my understanding of Japanese from this point is not the best approach, but you learn a lot if you start somewhere like that.

Of course if you really aren't that knowledgeable in Japanese, don't worry about it. Even though I studied it in school, there are great websites like 'about' and 'kanji-a-day' that I used pretty much every time I'd sit down and study Japanese.

And yeah, I love the unpredictability in shows like this because they try to emulate the unpredictability of life as well (like Honey and Clover did)

Huh. Maybe I can use the raws to try and better my conversational Japanese. I've been able to pick stuff up without looking at the subs, but I need a lot more work with grammar and everything before trying to understand an episode in Japanese alone, especially if I want to discuss it afterwards.

Just watched episode 35. Is it just me, or is the spoiler[Reira/Takumi] thing completely random? I didn't pick up on it at all O.o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

Just watched episode 35. Is it just me, or is the spoiler[Reira/Takumi] thing completely random? I didn't pick up on it at all O.o

It was definitely mentioned earlier, when spoiler[Yasu talked about his relationship with Reira. This is the first time however that Takumi's view was ever shown.]

I've only started taking Japanese this year, but I have watched some RAW and was able to at least get the gist of things. Also, I don't think the fansubs are really coming out that slow, they are only about 4 episodes behind or so and they often have double releases. There was a delay with 34 but that was because someone disappeared, plus people have been sick.
Milk_Chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
This is probably stupid, but is Nana [the live-action movie with Mika Nakashima] out on DVD in America? Neutral I'v seen a VHS version, but the store owner gets anime and other Japanese stuff imported from Japan. Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
It's not that no one's following it; we're all trying our hardest to follow it, but the fansubbed episodes come out once a month, if we're lucky. I just started trying to learn Japanese this year, so there's no way in heck I'd be able to watch raws. Maybe with a shounen series, but NANA is just too dialogue intensive.

And I agree, not having sound in the manga takes a lot away from the experience, especially if you've seen the anime first.

i perfer to read the manga and not watch the fansubs since ill spoil the manga for me...but i do peek in a scene or watch a episode i read already.

there was a site with nana scanlations but that went out of commission when the first 2 GN in america was released.

if the fansubs are too slow i suggest asking around seeiong who has them. me..i like my manga in my hands.
animeshojo86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I love Nana! I went to GENCON Indy last year in cosplay of Nana Osaki. I had no idea it was coming to the U.S! I can't wait
heen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
Just wondering if there will be another season of NANA added to the 47 episodes. I found the ending was very open and didn't answer much -_- I've heard that the manga is still going and was wondering if there will be another season.

im tired of anime based on mangas and the ending is always so bad =(
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd read somewhere that a second season was planned; they're just waiting for more of the manga to come out so they don't have to start making things up. If it means a better representation of the story and no stupid filler or anything, I'm willing to wait.
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I read from another forum that the new season will be on 070708.. Not sure if that's true or not (hopefully it is Very Happy)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
That date seems a bit early for me, since the manga is still on-going. I think they really need to wait until it is done before making a second season, because they have covered the majority of the manga material already and have done a great job in not having to make up anything additional for the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8