• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Anddo wrote:

Major spoilers here
You should clarify that the spoilers you posted are for the new GITS movie, not for episodes 3-4 of Arise. People will assume otherwise given the nature of this thread. ^^'

Edited!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in this dub, but not as Motoko?

That is something that strikes me as very odd with the dub. Since Arise is its own thing and not part of the SAC story, they didn't necessarily need to cast the same actors, (though I would have preferred this) so I have to wonder why McGlynn was in it at all. She doesn't normally work for Funimation, and it seems odd to make an exception when not reprising a role.
Ian K

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn in this dub, but not as Motoko?

That is something that strikes me as very odd with the dub. Since Arise is its own thing and not part of the SAC story, they didn't necessarily need to cast the same actors, (though I would have preferred this) so I have to wonder why McGlynn was in it at all. She doesn't normally work for Funimation, and it seems odd to make an exception when not reprising a role.

ARISE was intended as a new take on an established franchise, and that is reflected in the all-new Japanese voice cast, if not the stories themselves. (Interestingly, Maaya Sakamoto was also the voice of child Motoko in the original film and SAC).

By not bringing back the SAC voice actors for the english dub, Funimation is technically staying true to the spirit of the Japanese production. Of course, it works out well for them because this way they get to cast the series in-house.

At least giving McGlynn a part in the show was probably intended as a nod to fans, as well as a "passing of the torch" moment to acknowledging her huge contribution to the character as well as Maxwell's right to a new interpretation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2