• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Muv-Luv: Schwarzesmarken (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It always surprises how long the humans managed to survive against the BETA in the beginning without TSFs. It's also interesting how politics continue to divide countries despite the presence of a common enemy (not just the West and East Germanies but the people within each of those).

I really enjoyed the first episode because of the strategic deployment of the Schwarzemarken (I'm going to have trouble spelling these German words. . .). And like many of the users in this thread, I, too, lack knowledge about the whole West-East Germany divide besides the basic things such as who occupied which and the fall of the wall in 1990. But with this show predating 7 years before the fall and a whole slew of events that differ from our whole, I guess my knowledge won't fare well here. It doesn't help that the East is called "German Democratic Republic" which confuses me because they were occupied by the Soviets.

I can't say much about the characters besides that Theodor is an unsympathetic asshole towards his squadron. Though I guess I can see why he's like that but that doesn't really justify his behavior. I love the character designs but I'm trying not to get too attached to any character because, hey, it's apocalyptic world and all. All the girls seem like waifu material so far except the last one, she's too scary for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know....I kind of like Theodor's "I'm a grouchy bear" personality so far....Anime hyper it gives me hope that he'll warm up a little as the series progresses.

(and he's right. Don't put a PSTD soldier on the battlefield!)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
(and he's right. Don't put a PSTD soldier on the battlefield!)

Yeah, she was not capable on the battlefield, she was the one putting the rest of the team in danger. And although he should have followed the order he was given more, it was on his commanding officer for leading up to the situation, not trying to just blame it on one soldier not following orders fully because another soldier was not following orders.

If we had to guess he has been forced into the army of the same people who killed his family, of course he would not like the people around him.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I do agree with his PTSD comment but y'know, he could be less asshole-ish about it. I know he's bitter about the loss of his family but the girl he's whining (irritated may be the better word) about probably has lost people she cared about, too. His captain is right, too -- he could have done something instead of whine that may have prevented the death of Inghild. I do hope he warms up and I definitely see him warming up since Katia looks like his sister or whoever even though his current treatment of her isn't really a sign of improvement.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm absolutely sensing he will warm up to Katia first.

(I'm absolutely not hoping something more will come of that or anything)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I love the character designs but I'm trying not to get too attached to any character because, hey, it's apocalyptic world and all.

Well, there is at least one character who looks similar to another character that appeared in that other anime and they share a voice actor too.

That's only speculation, though.

Chiibi wrote:
Yes, I'm absolutely sensing he will warm up to Katia first.

(I'm absolutely not hoping something more will come of that or anything)

The promotional material is actually quite unclear about who the main heroine/love interest is supposed to be. Katia is featured predominantly, of course, but it's actually Irisdina who gets most of it.

Despite being the big Muv-Luv fan that I am, I actually have next to no knowledge about Schwarzesmarken so you don't need to worry about spoilers from me. Heck, even looking at the game CG set didn't reveal much.

All I know is that the art is amazing and happens to be done by one of my all time favourite artists.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All I know is that the art is amazing and happens to be done by one of my all time favourite artists.

Indeed, the artwork was what attracted me in the first place. :'D

Theo has prettiest shade of eyes....and all of the character designs are nice....though that freaking mech suit......is a bit....distracting amirite. Anime hyper DO THEY HAVE TO BE THAT TIGHT?
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
though that freaking mech suit......is a bit....distracting amirite. Anime hyper DO THEY HAVE TO BE THAT TIGHT?

Well if the fan service is like it was in Total Eclipse then you might want to mentally prepare yourself for close ups of Katia's ass while she is changing into that suit. Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Theo has prettiest shade of eyes....and all of the character designs are nice....though that freaking mech suit......is a bit....distracting amirite. Anime hyper DO THEY HAVE TO BE THAT TIGHT?

Yup. You get more accurate biometric readings when it's closer to the skin. Also by making them wear embarrassing outfits they eventually get desensitized to it removing one more emotion to make them better soldiers.

But if you think that's bad, in the game they're transparent.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
It always surprises how long the humans managed to survive against the BETA in the beginning without TSFs. It's also interesting how politics continue to divide countries despite the presence of a common enemy (not just the West and East Germanies but the people within each of those).

I really enjoyed the first episode because of the strategic deployment of the Schwarzemarken (I'm going to have trouble spelling these German words. . .). And like many of the users in this thread, I, too, lack knowledge about the whole West-East Germany divide besides the basic things such as who occupied which and the fall of the wall in 1990. But with this show predating 7 years before the fall and a whole slew of events that differ from our whole, I guess my knowledge won't fare well here. It doesn't help that the East is called "German Democratic Republic" which confuses me because they were occupied by the Soviets.

I can't say much about the characters besides that Theodor is an unsympathetic asshole towards his squadron. Though I guess I can see why he's like that but that doesn't really justify his behavior. I love the character designs but I'm trying not to get too attached to any character because, hey, it's apocalyptic world and all. All the girls seem like waifu material so far except the last one, she's too scary for me.

The Soviets gave East Germany that name to fool most of the world into thinking East Germany accepted communism willingly and was more democratic than the "Fascist" West Germany when in reality communism was forced on them as the elections were rigged to favor Communist parties and the people have no real say in how the country was lead.
Hence the joke, the more titles the country has, the more brutal and non-democratic it is.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Yup. You get more accurate biometric readings when it's closer to the skin. Also by making them wear embarrassing outfits they eventually get desensitized to it removing one more emotion to make them better soldiers.

Well.

I am glad there is a reasonable explanation. Anime hyper
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Muv-Luv is one of those franchises where everything is justified in-universe... Even if the out of universe explanation is just for titillation.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatrix still intimidating as ever. I want to see more of her past in relation with Irisdina. Some of this week's episode shows a little about her past already.

It doesn't surprise me that Katia isn't trusted by a lot of people except maybe Pham so far. Action seems decent so far but like in many wars, there's always casualties Anime cry

I don't trust what the Stasi are doing at all. They should of been there to help out the 666th squad. Political affairs continuously divide certain divisions despite having the same enemy (BETA). Sylvia beating Katia and threatening to kill her suggests how dangerous some ideals are in this series. Pretty intense episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Oh Katia you're too nice for this world. Her optimism is refreshing in this world filled with scumbags and BETA. Anyway it seems we're getting into some interesting stuff right off the bat. Really looking forward to what's going to happen next.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
It is kind of amazing Humanity has managed to survive against the BETA for so long despite their continued in-fighting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10