• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pirate Anime FAQ Updated

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:21 am Reply with quote
Evangelion has a whole slew of action figures, models, and resin kits.
Trigun has plushies of it's mascot.
Vampire Hunter D and Hellsing also have action dolls.
You'd be hard-pressed to find an anime series without collectable cards of some sort based on it.
The point: not only children's shows have assorted junk created and sold for them. It's just a way to make money ^^ And money makes the world go 'round.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:35 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I'm well aware that the Japnaese Version was before the US Version.

And yeah, my logic was all over the place. But I assure you, shows such as shaman king, sailor moon, Dragonball, Naruto, and such, are aimed for a child demographic. Nothing wrong with teenagers and adults liking it.

By the time they are teenagers, they tends to more image-based things, as as far as a lot of advertising is concerned, Teenagers WANT Makeup/clothes/CDs. As far as they are concerned (wild generalisation here), teenagers could care less about action figures and the assorted crap (not literally, quite a bit of it is quite nice Very Happy) that come along with kids shows.

If I havem't got you this far, answer this: Is Transformers a show intended for Teenagers (it's older, 1980's version, not the RiD/Armada trite we have now) just because it has themes such as death, violence, tyranny and oppression? All of those issues are bought up in it in one way or another, yet it was based apon a toy line (which it was inteded to sell). The difference between say, Shaman King and Transformers, is that one came before the other in different circumstances (Shaman king anime came out before toys, opposite with transformers).

My final point is that it is aimed for children. Children nag their parents for tickets to the movie, they nag them for the action figures, they nag them for the card game. Yes, they do that in Japan. It's universal. That's how they make money. If they aimed it for teenagers, it'd attempt to be a bit more mature.

must've been really toned down, cause the mangas i read of Naruto weren't exactly aimed at kids.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:55 am Reply with quote
Given I've nevber read/seen naruto, I just made a generalisation. I'm sorry for that.

Saturn: and how many of these action figures were sold in Toys'R'Us or promoted in kids magazines?

Sure they need to be made, and I think it's neat they're made, but you also notice the action figures from more adult shows are a lot more detailed (compare Kaiyodoo Evas to New Jakks DBZ toys)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2