• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Expert Ease

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I really want that Smach Z for DC and PS2 emulation and possibly to run RPG Maker MV on, hopefully it reaches it's kickstarter goal because I really want to play some DC and PS2 games on a handheld.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The tracks are hidden, and only the proprietary software will play them... and the proprietary software is an .exe that's reported to not work on either a Mac or a Linux/Unix box.

To add insult to injury, the USB drive is only about 800 MB large, so even if you just want to nuke the useless DRMed soundtrack and use it for something else, it's too small for any practical uses. I would've just rather had a pretty paperweight.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying XCX so far.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
KoFXIV: SNK really should have stylized it more. It was just a waste to throw away those sprites from XIII

SNK didn't really "throw away" their work on XIII, because those sprites were created by first making 3D models for the characters that were then drawn over. There are even videos on YouTube showing that XIV's models for the returning characters are being reused from XIII, just with new outfits & the like, so XIII is still the basis that XIV is being built upon.

Really, creating 50 characters the way XIII did it would just make the game take forever to come out, as that way was super time-intensive, as SNK Playmore itself admitted. Anyway, I am looking forward to KOF XIV, and I've heard that the game itself is really good from those who played it as PSX. SNK even added in the Just Defense from Mark of the Wolves, which is sweet.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Jade Cocoon looks like Ghibli because the character design was made by someone who worked at Ghibli, I don't think it honestly really matters if Ghibli officially is involved, its still close enough to the ghibli feel I treat it like a ghibli work.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
In an RPG with persistant levels, items, and stats I really wonder how this is going to work. Maybe there wont be levels and items in the remake. Maybe it will be an action game that retells the story instead since the trailer showed us it's not a turn-based RPG anymore. I'm not sure how the Materia system would work in an action game. I'm very apprehensive about this whole remake overall. Barrett also looks a bit weird. He seems way too skinny. I miss him being huge and buff.

It could be similar to what Falcom did with The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. You could load your save from Part 1 to retain your levels up to a certain point. Plot wise, they found a way to explain why you don't have the same quartz (the equivalent of materia in FF VII), though items and equipment weren't carried over. Still, I suppose it wouldn't be hard to just load data from the past entry to carry over everything. And if the player decides to start from the 2nd chapter, they could just set a standard starting level and equipment that'd be adequate for that part of the game (though not as good as your level and equipment would be if you played the first).
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

In an RPG with persistant levels, items, and stats I really wonder how this is going to work. Maybe there wont be levels and items in the remake. Maybe it will be an action game that retells the story instead since the trailer showed us it's not a turn-based RPG anymore. I'm not sure how the Materia system would work in an action game. I'm very apprehensive about this whole remake overall. Barrett also looks a bit weird. He seems way too skinny. I miss him being huge and buff.

Yeah, they're not going to shoot themselves on the foot that bad. As much as the draw of FF7 was the huge narrative, it alone won't justify people to buy it. No one wants another XIII.

I do have reservations on the whole episodic approach, but recalling my last playthrough of the game and reading wikis and stuff, FF7 can get through it relatively okay. There are several points in the story that make for good "stopping points" such as the escape from Midgar, the Northern Crater, Weapon siege. The game is massive in the sense that it pretty much divides itself into arcs like an anime.

I haven't opened up my Xenoblade Chronicles X limited edition, but man do I feel jilted now. $90 for the typical artbook and a gimped USB drive? Maybe I'll just sell it and buy a copy of the game itself.

Surprised it took this long for Capcom to give Ryu the gruff lumberjack look seeing as how Western games absolutely LOVE this aesthetic. Chun Li looks much better without her iconic "dangos." She should keep it.
se37

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Xenoblade: After playing the game for a while, I am having a great time but you need to read the instructions or you'd be lost. I had a hard time at first trying to figure things out because I was so use to handholding in video games which this one doesn't really do. The USB is a joke, it doesn't even work on Macs (which I have) so in a middle finger to Nintendo I downloaded the whole OST online. It won't even let you see the drive unless you have Windows then it is hard to even move the files. Plus it isn't big enough to even use it for storage. Bleh. I'm just glad I brought the Special Edition for $80 at the time so I only feel as if I lost 20 dollars on it. At least the cover is reversible.

FFVII: After seeing this new trailer and finding out the episodes. I fear this thing is going to be filled with DLC, linear to the point of FFXIII, battle system like Kingdom Hearts (which I hate since it is all button mashing) and the people working on the game were not really involved in the original game. I fear this game will be nothing more than a big waste of time and money in the end and more so since I read the interview about the game and how much BS is coming from their mouths about why they are doing what they are doing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The over-the-top hand-wringing concerning the FFVII remake is the supreme example of why gamers themselves are objectively {"Objectively" speaking, this is a clear-cut case of trolling. You're on thin ice, pal; that's all I'll say. ~nobahn}. That's all I'll say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2