• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime Cult

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
And that's why new-agers belive that Odin was an Atlantean who was also Hermes and Merlin and Anubis. I'm not kidding, my mother has books on that crap.

Actually some influential Greeks thought Hermes and Thoth were the same god, so it's not that outlandish. ;) At least no more so than any other religious mythologies.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

Me too...grin like an idiot and think to myself: "Man, grandpa is an a$$hole".... Very Happy
Me three!! Seeing those images I thought "Hai, shine yo" and I still can't keep from laughing at "Jesus Desu". Now Okawa-san sounds like great parody fodder, I mean why did he think he was reincarnated Hermes and Buddha, etc as if they were somehow similar? Why not Zeus or Odin while he was at it? Wish I knew were to find the flash-animated (and subtitled!) thing. I could use a good laugh. Great Article.

Considering that the flower is already picked, my response is...

You have something in common with this Flower...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Shoko Asahara (who's still around, just in jail and on death row in Japan) was the leader of a religious sect called Aum Shinrikyo.
I remember that! His children were literally expelled from their local school system because of it!
Mike also wrote:
[O]nly realizing when Hermes himself abruptly appeared to save the day that I wasn't watching a spinoff, but a goddamn sequel to the original.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
Yet another reason why Cowboy Bebop is one of the anime of all time. "Brain Scratch" was a brilliant satire of this nonsense.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
Talking about Aum Shinrkyo, events in Mawaru Penguindrum were thinly-veiled references to the sarin gas incident and the pivotal role that incident had in some of the characters' lives. Though Penguindrum was the opposite of a cult-recruitment film.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

And the reason Tokyo no longer provides outdoor trash bins, since that's where Aum put the sarin gas.

I just read a collection of memoirs about this incident (it's called Underground), and I'm pretty sure the sarin gas was punctured on the train in plastic bags, and later scooped into trash bins by well-intentioned railway workers, which obviously didn't help things.

Also Mike Toole, you might want to double check your facts: Shoko Asahara was executed this past July, so he's dead and gone (though his cult is still alive and kicking).
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
Whiskey, the article was written in 2015.
chao8971

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

Also Mike Toole, you might want to double check your facts: Shoko Asahara was executed this past July, so he's dead and gone (though his cult is still alive and kicking).

This article is over three years old. His facts were right when the article was written. This got republished on the front page next to their ad of the new Happy Science movie.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're old enough, you remember this guy. Shoko Asahara (who's still around, just in jail and on death row in Japan) was the leader of a religious sect called Aum Shinrikyo.

Actually, Shoko Asahara and 12 of his followers were executed by Japan last summer for their roles in the sarin gas attacks. The first time Japan has executed more than one person at once since the 1960s.

And for those who are interested, there are actually a number of connections between several anime shows and Aum Shinrikyo. The sarin gas attack the cult perpetrated is used as the backdrop for the anime series Mawaru Penguindrum; several of the people involved in the attack did in fact go underground and were not caught until years later (ironically, the last at-large fugitives were caught soon after Penguindrum was broadcast, tho I doubt the series played any role in their capture). Also, while not explicitly stated in the anime, the cult that Hitagi Senjougahara's mother (Bakemonogatari) was a member of is almost certainly Aum Shinrikyo or one of its off-shoots; much of the iconography flashed on the screen during her confrontation with the Crab entity was taken directly from Aum Shinrikyo propaganda.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:14 am Reply with quote
When you consider that material like this is purely grounded in beliefs based on circumstantial evidence, anecdotes and good old fashioned hyperbole, of course you're bound to pull in the more vulnerable.

Heck, the church of Scientology is still around today because of these reasons. Laughing
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Somehow this article popping up today in the exact same spot that contained a paid advertisement for The Laws of the Universe Part 0 yesterday really made my day. :')
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
In any case, I feel like this article doesn't really do Aum Shinrikyo justice (and by that I mean how scary they were). They had over $1.5 billion in assets at their height, and were actively engaged in acquiring nuclear weapons, even engaging in talks with Russian suppliers. They were arguably the closest any non-state actor has come to getting nukes (and with the intent and argubaly the ability to use them, no less). If it hadn't been for Asahara's arrest in the 90s they very well may have been successful, considering how tenacious he was. Thankfully, now that he's dead, the organization pretty much is too. So, there's that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Please keep discussion to the topic of the article, not religion in general.

There is some speculation that Aum Shinrikyo isn't quite extinguished yet, as a truck attack was possibly carried out as revenge for the cult leaders' execution.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
There is some speculation that Aum Shinrikyo isn't quite extinguished yet, as a truck attack was possibly carried out as revenge for the cult leaders' execution.

After Shoko Asahara's arrest and trial, Aum Shinrikyo split into several subsequent groups. All of them publicly denounced Asahara's actions in regards to the Sarin gas attacks, but yet they all retained his basic teachings and in private many of the offshoot cults still revere him. And has the New Years terror attack showed, Asahara still has some influence over the world even after his death.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I think this article was revived because the folks at ANN felt they couldn't leave that ad alone and be in good conscience. With me having close-but-unwanted relations with both the Latter-Day Saints (AKA: Mormons) and the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God, I much appreciate this article still to this day.

I still think She Sells Sanctuary is the best The Cult song, and Love is their best album, although Electric is also cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3