• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel to Relaunch in 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
With cable viewership being on the decline, I'm not sure if the revival of the Funimation Channel will pan out well. Nonetheless, I hope it'll be successful somehow...
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Insert obligatory Neon Alley snark here.

Don't remind me. I haven't purchased a Viz title since they screwed over Canadian fans (again.) The fact they can't be assed to change the message either just erks me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Everybody loves saying "SOMETHING" is DEAD. The PC is still here, and so is Cable.

Just wait, some members of the Cable industry are already setting up test areas to get rid of standard unlimited internet as we know it. You are eventually going to pay the same price for your streaming life, that you would have if you had a Cable channel bundle.

If Funimation can't get their channel to most of continental America, why are they even bothering. You'd think they would be losing money.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Does this mean it's a trial in those locations with expansions plans TBA or will it be distributed to it's previous locations? With those specific states mentioned it makes me assume it's a trial run with future plans to expand the market.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Maybe this is the preamble to Funi not getting any relevant licenses for the winter 2015/6 season (due to Netflix outbidding them). Remember Funi is first and foremost a business that sales discs, everything else is tied to said business goal.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
Looking back to the article, the reference to four specific states is part of the announcement by Frontier Cable concerning the channel which will take Funimation's place. The odd geographic distribution may simply reflect Frontier's purchase of smaller cable companies.

All Funimation says in the release is that they have discontinued their contract with an existing cable distributor and will restart next year. This may be based on specific plans or may be a "we'll do something" statement. We will just have to wait and see.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Will it be available in the NY/NJ area?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I aready found out about this in the Roberts Anime Corner Store news letter he said that Funimation might be altering the Funimation channel because they are losing viewers to Anime pirate websites. Confused

Pirate Websites have absolutely nothing to do with this change. Olympusat's license expired and Group 1200 (Funimation) didn't want to renew it. Sadly I can't say more (I know more, but it's "privileged information.")

But yes, online video, both legit and pirated, is having a huge effect on Cable channels.

-t
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Nope, I'm still smirking. TOKU... Why does that remind me of something that starts with "R"? Oh...

Actually, the name "toku" is most likely in reference to the Japanese word "tokusatsu (特撮)," which means "special effects," and is mainly used to describe live action shows which are heavy on special effects (primarily practical effects, such as explosions, etc, rather than CGI).
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
this is just for USA right
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I aready found out about this in the Roberts Anime Corner Store news letter he said that Funimation might be altering the Funimation channel because they are losing viewers to Anime pirate websites. Confused

Pirate Websites have absolutely nothing to do with this change. Olympusat's license expired and Group 1200 (Funimation) didn't want to renew it. Sadly I can't say more (I know more, but it's "privileged information.")

But yes, online video, both legit and pirated, is having a huge effect on Cable channels.

-t

So will Toku be a new station that no longer airs Funimation shows? I'm just a little confused by all this is all. Funimation says its "relaunching" the Funimation Channel. So will both the Funimation Channel and Toku be two separate networks?
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Nope, I'm still smirking. TOKU... Why does that remind me of something that starts with "R"? Oh...

Actually, the name "toku" is most likely in reference to the Japanese word "tokusatsu (特撮)," which means "special effects," and is mainly used to describe live action shows which are heavy on special effects (primarily practical effects, such as explosions, etc, rather than CGI).

And yet it sounds like the genre has no proper representative. What's up with that? :<
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

-t

With regard to this issue, the RACS newsletter of December said:
Quote:
It's obvious with all the free content available these days at the click of a button that Anime itself is getting harder and harder to monetize, so companies like Funi are looking to other places for growth.

He made no specific mention of Pirate websites.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
online video is having a huge effect on Cable channels.

I think that by now, the cat is out of the bag, I would not be surprised if the headlines next year are "acceleration is accelerating".
Emperor Fred

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
With the fact that more and more people are moving away from Cable, this just seems like a lot of wasted effort.

I've always held this completely unsubstantiated theory that certain Japanese studios would not license their shows out without assurance that the show would also be broadcast on (linear) television.

But with so few and so limited venues available, Funimation launches a cheap satellite channel that virtually no one carries, runs the show there, and says that's that.

That theory probably has no merit, but you never know what crazy and outdated demands these licensors may make. Razz
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3