• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - See the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

I kid, but in the end, that's what it ended up feeling like, as I've probably put more into the XV demo than Type-0 itself. Type-0 definitely suffered from an excessively large cast thrown right at you from the start, but I really just didn't like the gameplay. XV ended up being the main thing I got out of my copy of Type-0, and at the very least, it seems promising, even though the fact that the combat was changed from what was earlier shown to pretty much just simply "Hold Square".
I liked Type 0's combat more. XV felt very sluggish and imprecise by comparison.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In an industry that went from swiping Michael Biehn for Metal Gear covers to putting Ellen Page in virtual starring roles, why wouldn't you steal from David Bowie?

First thing putting that comment together with video games made me think of was Michael Sheen's Castor from Tron: Legacy and the tie-in Tron: Evolution video game (though Sheen didn't do the video game voice). That was one of the best Bowie characters ever that wasn't performed by the man himself, and definitely one of the highlights of the movie at least. The game, OTOH...everything about that was pretty much completely forgettable.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

And watch as none of this happens because Nintendo has far better things to do with its time and money.

I sure hope this alleged better management of time and money doesn't involve publishing more Mario & Sonic Olympic Games tie-ins, Making more amiibo specific content, & pumping out another outdated, under-powered, and underwhelming video game console no one wants.

AiddonValentine wrote:

Third parties would just find another convenient excuse anyway and considering how they're floundering financially

Are we talking about japanese publishers and developers or publishing and developers in general?

Because regardless of the financial circumstances of these entities Nintendo still needs their support as not everyone buys Nintendo systems for the new Mario Kart, Smash, or graphically inferior port of some game that can be played on more advanced systems with a less awkward controller setup.

AiddonValentine wrote:
while Nintendo has a freaking war chest the size of Kyoto,

That war chest may sustain them as far as publishing games and their handheld division it most certainly won't help their console division if the NX bombs though.

Quote:

Sony probably won't try another portable system once the Vita sees its last Neptunia spin-off or indie platformer,

Ouch Todd.

Oddly enough though I'm actually surprised you cited the Vita for it's indie library and not it's smattering of fanservice based games........many of which will never leave Japan.
Percival King
Banned User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
terminus24 wrote:

I kid, but in the end, that's what it ended up feeling like, as I've probably put more into the XV demo than Type-0 itself. Type-0 definitely suffered from an excessively large cast thrown right at you from the start, but I really just didn't like the gameplay. XV ended up being the main thing I got out of my copy of Type-0, and at the very least, it seems promising, even though the fact that the combat was changed from what was earlier shown to pretty much just simply "Hold Square".
I liked Type 0's combat more. XV felt very sluggish and imprecise by comparison.

Episode Duscae wasn't even an alpha phase demo. If you saw the most recent screenshot, the battle system has almost completely changed since then.

I'm really curious to see it in action.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
Considering games publishers have never figured out how to NOT censor games and just let game ratings do their job, there's a good reason why people dislike censorship. Some of us were dealing with the ups and downs of extreme censorship in games for 30+ years (like me). It's especially more painful when more loyal ports and uncensored games were starting to become a thing in late 2000s. Now it's kind of sliding back into 90s level of every game being up for censure.

I have a theory Nintendo's recent censorship obsession is because of Iwata's passing. He was in charge of NoA and that was around he time they were heavily pushing Bayonetta 2 and seemed to be more open about embracing adult content in America. Once he passed away, the censorship began to come back in the form of Xenoblade and Fatal Frame's latest iterations later on in the year. It might also explain why the original presentation of Xenoblade said there'd be no censorship, but then in the final few months of localization they started popping up. I won't be surprised if the western versions of Fire Emblem Fates and SMTxFE are censored as well. It probably doesn't help the western gaming community is becoming more and more anti-sexuality as well.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

And watch as none of this happens because Nintendo has far better things to do with its time and money.

I sure hope this alleged better management of time and money doesn't involve publishing more Mario & Sonic Olympic Games tie-ins, Making more amiibo specific content, & pumping out another outdated, under-powered, and underwhelming video game console no one wants.

AiddonValentine wrote:

Third parties would just find another convenient excuse anyway and considering how they're floundering financially

Are we talking about japanese publishers and developers or publishing and developers in general?

Because regardless of the financial circumstances of these entities Nintendo still needs their support as not everyone buys Nintendo systems for the new Mario Kart, Smash, or graphically inferior port of some game that can be played on more advanced systems with a less awkward controller setup.

AiddonValentine wrote:
while Nintendo has a freaking war chest the size of Kyoto,

That war chest may sustain them as far as publishing games and their handheld division it most certainly won't help their console division if the NX bombs though.

Kid, people have been saying what you claim for years if not decades. And NONE of it has ever come to pass. If you have not realized by now that Nintendo is not interested in the same insecure, adolescent chest-puffing as other companies then that is on you, not on Nintendo. They have better things to do than be boring like Sony and MS.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
I hope Todd reads his column's forum posts cause I want to thank him for even remembering TREASURE. One of my fav companies and indeed it only achieved cult sucess. Gunstar Heroes was my favorite game on the Sega Genesis and I still believe it's the best contra game I've ever played (I know it's not part of the franchise at all).

I seriously hope they made a comeback, the moment you proposed them for the next Metroid...I knew we probably have many similarities regarding taste in videogames.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Treasure, I thought they were supposed to be working on a new PS4 shoot-em-up, Ubusana?
toddc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

"Tell us why The Adventures of Dino-Riki contains brilliant insights into humankind's primal nature, why the Variable Geo games are deeply feminist, or why Puyo Puyo is all about class struggle."

Are those really what makes something art or not?

Well, that's the whole idea of the contest: give games depth their creators probably didn't intend.
Souther wrote:
Speaking of Treasure, I thought they were supposed to be working on a new PS4 shoot-em-up, Ubusana?

Ubusana is the new shooter from Hiroshi Iuchi, who technically left Treasure a while ago. He made Kokuga with G.Rev, and I think he's making Ubusana at M2. Treasure might be involved, though.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Am tempted to jump into the contest to win that copy of Bullet Witch. I have always regretted getting rid of the original one I had. I still have all of the DLC outfits and everything on my Xbox too. It's campy as hell but I'll argue to the death that it was only the repetitive, labyrinthine level design that really dragged it down. Would hate to blow my "one contest per year" thing on Bullet Witch though! Cool

Nier and DG3 were some of the most emotionally stirring & outright fun games I've probably had the pleasure of playing (particularly Nier), grats to whoever gets a copy of those.

Glad Todd pointed out Miriam's outfit - I absolutely love the concept art and her expression in the screenshot is adorable, but I don't think her bust translated very well from the concept art to the 3D model. They seemed a lot more subtle in 2D, and something is a bit "off" about them in the screenshot. I cant put my finger on what it is exactly, but they seem out of proportion.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to more Harvest Moon games. Perhaps a new Wii U game will give me more incentive to get the next-gen system. Razz Although I'm more looking forward to anything I can play on my 3DS, and now maybe even my tablet.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Ubusana is the new shooter from Hiroshi Iuchi, who technically left Treasure a while ago. He made Kokuga with G.Rev, and I think he's making Ubusana at M2. Treasure might be involved, though.

Ahhhhhh, I see now, thanks for the info.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the Type-0 hate is real. Granted, it's not on the level of FFVI, it still managed to be an entertaining side entry to what has become a troubled franchise to put it lightly. One of its faults was that it tried to borrow lore from the heavily criticized Fabula Nova Crystalis trilogy which just made it very confusing to anyone who didn't read the FFwiki. The base plot, characters and gameplay were all fine. A gritty, action packed political war story is usually attention grabbing. The XIII tie in was not.

I personally am concerned with the direction portable gaming is taking. Smartphones should never replace dedicated gaming portables by virtue of being too broad a platform. Meaning, one model of phone might be less powerful than another or vice versa. It forces devs to cater to the LCD in terms of hardware. Let's not even get started on gachas or P2W robberies phone games like to pull. If the NX will be the sentinel against all this, then by all means, I'm all for it.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
We do have a modern Treasure game though. It's called Freedom Planet.
Well, I mean more like Mega Man X, Sonic, and Rocket Knight got together and fought some Treasure bosses.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Kid, people have been saying what you claim for years if not decades. And NONE of it has ever come to pass.

Because Nintendo has yet to follow up one poor selling console/device with another poor selling console/device. Don't think for one hot second that if the NX fails like the WiiU did Nintendo is going to follow it up with another console they're not going to do that unless they wanna embarrass themselves like Sega did back in the 90's. And no reason to label me a kid I'm an adult just like you.

AiddonValentine wrote:
If you have not realized by now that Nintendo is not interested in the same insecure, adolescent chest-puffing as other companies then that is on you, not on Nintendo.

Making powerful, advanced, and convenient tech large amounts of people legitimately want is insecure and adolescent chest puffing?

You're laying the bias on a bit thick aren't you?

AiddonValentine wrote:

They have better things to do than be boring like Sony and MS.

As I mentioned before if this amounts to nothing else besides making more uninteresting video game consoles, whoring out divisive Mario, Zelda, & Pokemon titles for those systems, and further making third party publisher's and developers not want to develop for their consoles. Then that's not going to help them in the long run.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3