• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dagashi Kashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode but I was just a tiny bit disappointed that they took out one of my favourite jokes from the manga: spoiler[when Hotaru's eating the mini-donuts at the café, Saya wonders where she got them from (as Hotaru had to shower after falling in to the rice paddy and is wearing Saya's clothes while her own clothes are being washed) and Hotaru says that a woman has several hiding places, implying that the packet of donuts was hidden in her cleavage. Everything else from that manga scene made it into the anime, so I don't see why they dropped that joke, unless it was considered just a bit too risqué, even though that the shower scene preceding it was more gratuitous than the manga version.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Wouldn't the singular form end with a "to" sound (kokonatto), with the "tsu" used for the plural form?
It's customary to transliterate syllable-final "t" as "to" nowadays, but this wasn't always the case. Some loanwords that have been in use for a long time are fossilized with tsu's instead of to's: for example "cutlet" is "katsuretsu" (often shortened to just "katsu"). While my electronic dictionary tells me that it's possible to use "natto" to mean "nut" nowadays, "kokonatto" apparently never caught on. Besides, it doesn't make a huge difference whether or not it's singular or plural, since nouns in Japanese don't really have grammatical number anyway.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Not funny enough? I think the show's plenty funny, it makes me laugh/smile more than many anime comedies do.

So far Dagashi Kashi is one of my favorite shows from the season. It's simply so enjoyable. The characters are really fun to follow and the situations are, again, fun. It also helps that I love the character designs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Not my type of review... Dagashi Kashi's roster of parodies were pretty much awesome albeit simple. It takes a lot of humor and knowledge to find them funny; ofc those who haven't seen or know of it would find it "meh".

This show doesn't need thinking process, just enjoy it with your favorite snack and bring some friends to imitate the episode's antics afterwards.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought the first segment's "if you can't stand the heat... you're perfectly normal" feel was fine and segment two's battle of "wits" between Hotaru and To was even better. He's simple, she has no idea why he's interested in her... sadly I was kind of hoping for a different demonstration, more directly from her mouth to his, of how the candy coating would melt in your mouth. Mostly, I fault the first episode for making me think that... and this one for not doing it.

So he was drooling while watching her then? I still prefer mine, it makes more sense characterwise.

It's not laugh out loud funny but it would lose it's very loose grasp of reality that it has if it tried harder. On the other hand, the idea of actual customers may be implied... on the opposite other hand, closing the store outright or turning off the AC during summer heat are not sale positive actions to take.

This just makes me wonder why Hotaru just doesn't hire Kokonuts-u as well as his father or just him alone. But then, I also recognize Hotaru as a "drop in" sitcom character like the typical wacky neighbor except we have yet to learn how far she travels each time... do we learn she's renting an apartment in town at any point?- so the last thing I should do is poke at its premise.

She's rich, she's driven as well as obsessive so I can believe once she was rebuffed, it just makes her redouble her efforts without any kind of strategic or critical thinking. Kind of like Wile E Coyote with less falling rocks.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part of this episode was the second half too, it's awesome when Hotaru talks more natural with Saya or Tou instead of just trying to somehow impress Kokonotsu with dagashi. I was not that much of a fan of the aircon segment or the pool one either in the manga so I'm not that disappointed.

Although, the opening and ending were a great surprise, it seems the first one is being done little by little and adding some funny parodies along it, while the ending took quite a while to do but it was really worth it, the music is really catchy and the animation very smooth.

Animegomaniac wrote:
But then, I also recognize Hotaru as a "drop in" sitcom character like the typical wacky neighbor except we have yet to learn how far she travels each time... do we learn she's renting an apartment in town at any point?- so the last thing I should do is poke at its premise.

spoiler[Actually, she does have a residence more or less near to the Kokonotsu's, or at least they do get there walking, it will likely appear on following episodes.]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
While this show is not great (at least not yet), after 3 episodes I am finding it quite enjoyable and rapidly becoming one of my favorites from this season.

And add me to those who find Dagashi Kashi plenty humorous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Dagashi Kashi's roster of parodies were pretty much awesome albeit simple.

For example?
partially

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Although I don't dislike the show, it feels very... forced. As said it doesn't quite seem to work as a comedy most of the time. I think B is about right.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Not my type of review... Dagashi Kashi's roster of parodies were pretty much awesome albeit simple. It takes a lot of humor and knowledge to find them funny; ofc those who haven't seen or know of it would find it "meh".

This show doesn't need thinking process, just enjoy it with your favorite snack and bring some friends to imitate the episode's antics afterwards.

So not only do I not have enough knowledge to find this show funny, I'm also intellectualizing it too much? Seems like it should be one or the other...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:

So not only do I not have enough knowledge to find this show funny, I'm also intellectualizing it too much? Seems like it should be one or the other...

Yeah, not really sure how that works... So am I supposed to be consciously looking out for these parodies? Or should I sit back and not use my thinking process? I have not been consciously overthinking the show, but I'm certainly not finding it all that funny, nor am I seeing a ton of recognizable parodies... It's a fine show, but so far, it certainly hasn't been what I expected.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm finding this series quite amusing re the main female protagonist. Whether it's innuendo or power of suggestion I enjoy watching and interpreting her mannerisms trying to sell the product or drive home a point. Whether real or imaginary sex sells. It need not be dirty, border on hentai, or be as subtle as receiving a baseball bat swing to the head. This show is far more enjoyable because of it. Nosebleeds are AOK too, lol.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
Dagashi Kashi's roster of parodies were pretty much awesome albeit simple.

For example?

They are actually in the opening and the ending. In the opening for the third episode there is first a parody of Matrix with Hotaru surrounded by shelves of dagashi. After Hotaru runs madly in love with dagashi mascots, we see Kokonotsu fighting his father ala Star Wars, then a parody of Saya and her brother in an Indiana Jones movie, I think there is areference to something in the part in which everybody is on planes. It's easily noticeable since the Opening was first just some illustrations with colourful background, candies flying around with bits of the episode in the back.

The ending is obviously a straight up parody of Alice in Wonderland. As far as other parodies of fictions, I remember them including Kokonotsu doing a Ryuuseiken, Saint Seiya style, but with a reindeer since it seems to be the Shikada animal motif, and the parody of a dungeon RPG in the second episode I think.

Other than that, the references can get scarce if you either never tried the dagashis promoted or never experienced some things the characters are doing. I especially liked the one in which a kid is forced to buy the taste he always likes to not waste the money away or the on in which they play with cards since we had that here too albeit a little different, I don't remember many shown in the anime so I'll stop there to not spoil any joke.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I noticed most of those, but since the poster was talking about whether the series is funny or not, I should think the OP/ED barely count. Presumably they were talking about parody material (and not merely references to the snacks) within the episodes, and there I haven't noticed much.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
well, I don't like being hars to entertainment but damn, this time I fell asleep at aorund the half mark of the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6