• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Awesome Unadapted Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:

The interesting thing is, is that I'd argue that Nishikiori's anime adaptation of Azumanga Daioh actually improves upon the manga in various ways (here I'll also mention that I think Nishikiori also accomplished the same thing with Angelica Layer). Most notably, as Mike mentions, in its manipulation of the scattershot 4koma vignettes into coherent narrative arcs, but perhaps more significantly in its presentation of the material as far as the wholesale creation of pacing and atmosphere that is hardly present in the original manga due to the 4koma format.

The problem with the anime, though, is how they drag out the punchline for some gags and worse, it's done multiple times per episodes. That was not done in the strip which had a livelier pace, a series of strips built around a single event/idea. I liked the show but that was before I read the collection and since then, I've had troubles watching the show.

It makes me want to take the director by the collar and say "No, you don't overstate takes and wild takes to the point where the idea that they're holding too long is the joke." It's kind of insulting to the original work.

In film humor terms, I'd say they turned the Marx Brothers into Charlie Chaplin. Why would you need to do that?

And... cooking is so fun. Cooking is so... fun.

Awesome unadapted manga? I'm all for Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer if only to see Mizukami's art in motion. And that's about I all I can think... though I do seem to remember this series about two psychotic killers going on a rampage while a giant monster does the same...

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, Franken Fran. I am a Hero, maybe?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ever since Jason Thompson's article and me searching the Internet for volumes, I have been stuck on Banana Fish getting any kind of adaptation. Live-action or anime would do fine but, I'm absolutely shocked at how this hasn't been re-released by Viz Media digitally (or anything from Pulp) let alone didn't receive an anime adaptation during the OVA boom of the 80s and 90s. Perhaps it's because there aren't any clear story arcs to test out the material but, I truly feel that the series would be welcomed by modern fans.

I'm still surprised that Daytime Shooting Star/Hirunaka no Ryuusei hasn't gotten an anime yet. The manga ended back in 2014 but, I recall almost every shoujo fan losing their sh*t (along with myself) reading the series.

I agree with justsomeaccount that manga and sequential art in general rely on a totally different form of layout which mostly depends on the viewer setting the pace just like how in reading the amount of detail and expression of actions depends on the viewer to imagine in their mind.

As much as I love Karou Mori's intricate art style, A Bride's Story would be a pain to animate and would sacrifice much of the orignal manga artist's craftsmanship. It could be argued that the reason the new Berserk projects have been in CGI is that replicating Kentaro Miura's fantastic draftsmanship would be too expensive and time consuming so CGI would give this false sense of "dynamism" to replace the artwork. Well, that's how I look at it.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I really really want to get eden but the middle volumes are so out of print and have been for years. If dark horse want people to buy their stuff making it available would be a good place to start.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
My wish would be Teppu, but that's never going to happen, women mma is probably nowhere near popular enough. That and the main character is a giant bitch (from her own word).
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Another awesome manga to date unadapted into anime is Ōoku: The Inner Chambers. I have read that they made a live action adaptation though.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
P.S.: I read the first volume of Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer and honestly the drawing while very flawed isn't the kind to damage an anime adaptation, that's not the problem. Honestly it's more its structure with sudden quick monologues and over analysis that in manga you tolerate better but in anime it's much more baffling (you get sometimes successful ones, but not very often). Again, not impossible at all to adapt, but there are difficulties. Either way it wasn't popular enough to probably interest to an studio, is it?

The written structure of Samidare, like the art, gets better as the series goes on. While it never really strays too far from its foundation as shounen viewed through a seinen lens, once it's firing on all cylinders it works as an excellent example of everything I enjoy about shounen manga.

There are persistent stories about an anime version that almost was in 2010, by no less a studio than Gainax. However, they ended up producing Panty and Stocking that year instead, and then several key figures departed to create Studio Trigger. Japan being Japan, we'll never get the full story, but whether the production was disrupted by upheaval at the studio, or the deal just fell through for other reasons, it's nice to imagine what might have been.

Though I'm still holding out hope that Mizukami's Spirit Circle gets the quality adaptation it thoroughly deserves.
animalia555

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else think Bokura No Kiseki would make a good anime?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ooku has two live action movies and a TV drama. I'd love it to get an anime, too, but I doubt it.
Of titles not mentioned yet, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service has been on my favorite unadapted manga list for years. If not an anime, it would make a great live action movie. Quirky cast of characters having gross mystery adventures with reanimated corpses. That's gotta sell, right?
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
With regards to Mizukami, I think Spirit Circle stands a better chance of being animated one day since it's still newish and ongoing. That's cool because it's pretty amazing too. It's a shame that between the two, Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer is the only one available in English.

With regards to which manga I'd love to see get a proper TV version, it would probably be Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita (no, two loosely adapted OVA episodes do not count).

Last edited by gedata on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda disappointed Addicted to Curry didn't get an anime, but given the fact that it can be quite raunchy at times (It even SHOWS a guy having sex while on the phone!), I can kinda see why it'd be hard to pick up.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
A couple of high-school rom-com mangas which, for all I know, are actually under consideration for anime treatment but there haven't been any announcements yet -- 14-sai no Koi and the just-finished Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki. I'm a sucker for first-love stories like these.

Oh, and so bleedingly obviously needing an anime treatment that I forgot all about it, the masterpiece that is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Sure, four OAVs were produced over a decade ago but it's now complete and the story moved on so much from the time the OAVs were made. Of course Choro Club would do the soundtrack like they did for the two Quiet Country Cafe OAVs.

Kabu no Isaki could also do with being animated, come to think about it.

Last edited by Nojay on Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
If Tekkon Kinkreet bombed, then there's no money to be made in a Sunny anime. And Arias is just glad that anyone notable saw it, and mentioned it, the way they would with Akira. Anyway, anime adaptations which need to happen include Fuyumi Soryo's Mars and Revenge of Mouflon. Also, I'm surprised Bow Wow Wata and/or Inubaka anime haven't happened by now.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
It's a shame that between the two, Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer is the only one available in English.

Well, the books are not available in English but Crunchy has Spirit Circle. And the translation is pretty great as I remember. (Compared to the horribly rushed Seven Deadly Sins translation)
Kyjin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The manga ended about 5 years ago so I doubt this will ever happen, but I adore Nononono aka the ski-jumping anime. I read it in scanlation and ended up picking up all the Japanese tankoubon the first time I went to Japan. I think it could work well as an anime.

The other two I can think of both of live-action film adaptations: Seven Days (my absolute favorite yaoi manga) and Orange. I'd also like to see an anime version of A Silent Voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
One big problem I personally have with these "why aren't these manga turned into an anime??" is that it automatically assumes that manga are a lesser form of medium in comparison to anime and all manga aspires to be that. When ironically it's more like the opposite, many anime are made to advertize the original manga. But many people don't seem to identify the traits of each medium.

Yes!!! (this whole post, really.) Manga is my preferred medium (because of pacing, art quality, fullness of story and artist's own vision, a general preference of reading over viewing). I personally don't watch many anime except as a preview to determine if I want to start buying the manga. (so we're clear on my own biases here.) But the idea that we're tragically missing out if a series doesn't have an anime adaptation seems like it's really missing the point and makes me sad that some people would rather watch an adaptation (that may not be as good) than read the original. I can understand if it was your favourite series ever and you think an anime would be amazing to supplement your enjoyment (Yona of the Dawn was that for me), but for the most part, manga is entirely satisfying as manga.

I think it's more constructive to view this article (and use the discussion it prompts) as a source of some great stories that people who don't normally read manga may be missing out on, and not as just a place to bemoan the lack of anime adaptations. I hope people read some of the titles mentioned so far, they're all great ones!!

@Nojay, 14-sai no Koi is available in English as Love at Fourteen. I also think it's another of those atmospheric, deliberately-paced manga that wouldn't necessarily benefit from an anime adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6