• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Voyage to Neptunia

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Those specific examples make sense though. Those games look and feel likely belong in 1997 which may be their intent but it shouldn't be surprising companies don't want to make archaic games like that.

And what makes them archaic? If those games games are archaic would you say that something like Etrian Odyssey is prehistoric because it uses dumbed down mechanics from Wizardry (and not even from 8 game)?
Quote:
To me it seems like those developers are just stuck in the past rather than wanting to move the genre forward. Imagine Wasteland 2 but with Fallout 4's technology.

Umm, no. These games deliver modernized, but still hardcore cRPG experience for people who actually remember that you need to use your brain while playing. I somehow doubt you've ever played Infinity Engine games, otherwise you'd notice how different they're from PoE or D:OS. If you want to see things which stuck in the past look no further when majority grind-to-win RPGs from the other side of Pacific.

Last edited by MajorZero on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Covnam wrote:
Did she? I think I recall an akira reference, but I was rolling through the demo to get the saves for the full game, so maybe I just missed them all...

Yeah, she says them in both pre- and post-battle comments as well as during regular story conversations, so if you just skipped through the text, you may have very well missed a good portion of them.

I wasn't skipping through the text, and I only caught Akira, Gunsmith Cats, and Settlers of Cataan.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Neptunia specifically. Lots of American media and internet meme references in those.

Ah, Neptunia, that dreaded virus series. Good thing I've resigned myself to never playing a single entry in it.

Dessa wrote:
I wasn't skipping through the text, and I only caught Akira, Gunsmith Cats, and Settlers of Cataan.

I also mentioned pre-battle and post-battle comments, though she's not actually saying the anime/game references in her voice acting.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
If you want to see things which stuck in the past look no further when majority grind-to-win RPGs from the other side of Pacific.

Oh this argument again. I dunno about you, but I'd rather a bunch of IF games than a bunch of Unlimited Sagas that try so hard to be unique but end up just frustrating players. JRPG's may not be always shaking the boat, but at least they do well where they stick to their guns.

I'm with Stuart on Kickstarters. The overall impression I get from the practice is that of salesmen making a bunch of promises and "offers" to deliver a niche product and we're a bunch of mini investors. Excuse me, but we work for our money. If we're just going to donate it to you then you better make good on your claims and put out a satisfying product. I don't want to throw away money to a project that starts tearing at the seams, no matter how much of a renowned history the developer has under his belt.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Oh this argument again. I dunno about you, but I'd rather a bunch of IF games than a bunch of Unlimited Sagas that try so hard to be unique but end up just frustrating players.

And this is relates to my discussion with Stuart exactly how? All I'm saying is, if he has no problems with jrpgs and dungeon crawlers, then it's pretty laughable to blame cRPG devs for delivering games which have resemblance to something made in the 90's.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That may seem odd when you recall that the Sega Genesis was a loud and brash success in America, but don't forget that its Mega Drive equivalent wasn't popular in Japan.

All the other Sega Hard Girls ("SegaCD, she likes music!") were given "offscreen" mention in one HiScool episode, as the girls look through files of other students--
Genesis, apparently, has visited America, and now adopts the cowgirl look and calls herself "Jenny". Very Happy
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Oh this argument again. I dunno about you, but I'd rather a bunch of IF games than a bunch of Unlimited Sagas that try so hard to be unique but end up just frustrating players.

And this is relates to my discussion with Stuart exactly how? All I'm saying is, if he has no problems with jrpgs and dungeon crawlers, then it's pretty laughable to blame cRPG devs for delivering games which have resemblance to something made in the 90's.

From my understanding, the discussion was centered in around cRPG's until you had to throw in that choice phrase. Not once did Stuart even say anything along those lines.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
From my understanding, the discussion was centered in around cRPG's until you had to throw in that choice phrase. Not once did Stuart even say anything along those lines.

Maybe he can speak for himself then? And what's your problem with my remark about jrpgs? Good chunk of them stuck in the 90's, that's not a statement of how good or bad they are, just a simple observation.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I'm with Stuart on Kickstarters. The overall impression I get from the practice is that of salesmen making a bunch of promises and "offers" to deliver a niche product and we're a bunch of mini investors. Excuse me, but we work for our money. If we're just going to donate it to you then you better make good on your claims and put out a satisfying product. I don't want to throw away money to a project that starts tearing at the seams, no matter how much of a renowned history the developer has under his belt.

Even with traditionally-funded projects, most people's first projects are going to wind up like that anyway. If you look at start-ups in any field, you'll see that most of them flop either before their first project or right after it, either because the product wasn't as mind-blowing as it was hyped to be (most notably with Segway, though it did find niches later on), no one realized it was dumb until it came out (like Ray Croc's cubic ice cream scoop), or things break down internally due to a variety of reasons (as seen on countless save-my-business TV shows).

It takes a tremendous amount of knowledge of your product, namely how much it will cost, how long it will take, what talents are needed, and keeping everyone in line, in order to get it out anywhere close to as planned and anywhere near its intended release date. Whether the first project was crowdfunded or not has nothing to do with that fact. If a company survives to make its second project, the second one will go a lot smoother due to lessons learned.

I know I take a risk when I back a project, and when I choose to back a project, I do so because I am reasonably confident that I'll get something out of it. I'm never certain, but if I only do things when an outcome is guaranteed, then I'll wind up doing nothing at all.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting you used Etrian Odyssey as an example because it's generally the game I would say is a good example moving a medium forward. Adding features like being able to draw your own map, with walls, icons, traps and the like. The beautiful updated art, skill trees, cross-class skills, bosses, combat in general and other stuff feels like a natural modernization of old stuff like Dungeon Master 2 which was one of my favorite dungeon crawlers back in the day. Darkest Dungeon by comparison just feels kind of shallow and cheap, but I suppose it's not fair to compare indie games with regular games, but that just means the issue is the west gave up on that genre and only small developers still have interest in it since AAA developers would rather turn stuff like Fallout into shooters.

By archaic I meant just the isometric style and graphics for one thing. Games like Neverwinter Nights 2 in Dragon Age Origins showed us not all RPGs have to be isometric. You can still have that kind of RPG depth with a different gameplay style. Of course, then Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition happened and went full action game, but Origins was nice, even if very traditional.

I agree with Paiprince about JRPGS. I know websites like to bash them but they also feel like natural evolutions. Star Ocean 5 is my most anticipated RPG this year. I think the JRPGs being stale is said by people who don't really play many of them . Just looking at Final Fantasy shows us a lot of diversity in gameplay. 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15 all play and look extremely different from one another. Even with 11 and 14 being MMOs they still showcase different styles of the genre. Tales generally keeps a similar combat system between games with small mechanic changes here and therr but that's fine with me because it's one of my favorite combat systems. I do miss the magic system from Eternia though, it was my favorite battle system. But Tales has evolved in its own way.

-Stuart Smith
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Yeah, she says them in both pre- and post-battle comments as well as during regular story conversations, so if you just skipped through the text, you may have very well missed a good portion of them.

Hmm, guess I'll have to be more focused when I play the full game =)
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Adding features like being able to draw your own map, with walls, icons, traps and the like.

Uh, that was a requirement since mid 80's. Granted, you should've do it on paper, but this feature existed for a long time, in fact one of the evolutions Ultima Underworld brought to dungeon crawlers was an auto-map and this game was released in what, 1992?

Quote:
By archaic I meant just the isometric style and graphics for one thing. Games like Neverwinter Nights 2 in Dragon Age Origins showed us not all RPGs have to be isometric.

But that's just stylistic choice. Besides, they have the isometric perspective for a good reason, positioning is crucial part of games like that, even NWN2 and DA:O can (should) be played in this manner.

Quote:
I think the JRPGs being stale is said by people who don't really play many of them. Just looking at Final Fantasy shows us a lot of diversity in gameplay. 10, 11, 12, 13, and 15 all play and look extremely different from one another.

I have to disagree, for every FF or TWEWY there're tens of Neptunia's, Enchanted Arms' or Lost Odyssey's (one of the best jrpgs released past gen. Still, it's almost identical to 90's FF's).
Mysteriala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember the first Neptunia game, I was impressed at how much it was able to do with the little it offered.
The rpg system was very clumsy (the first one was horrible, the later ones are more "standard"), but it had so much charm that I fell in love with it. If you have a "OMG, I hate moe"-attitude, or a "I only play good games"-attitude you probably won't like it.
I consider these games more of a guilty pleasure, I know they aren't the best games out there, but I know what I am getting with these games.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Also, Shenmue 3 was made possible thru Kickstarter.
So far I've received or in track to receive all my Kickstarters, knock on wood. Smile

Anyways, major reason J-games tend to stay the same is simply money - they typically don't have Western budgets, so they have no choice but to stay the same for the most part. E.g. it costs less to code the same turn-based systems than the new much more complicated real-time, fast-paced systems, even Square starting couple decades ago with the ATB system and been trying to improve since then. Most J-studios don't have the resources of a Square Enix to even get started.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2