• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - First Impressions: Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll be surprised if Virtual Reality becomes a booming trend. As it stands now, there are many factors going against it (high price tag, potential visual problems, too many titles incompatible with VR, etc.).

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:

Actually the Turtle Ninjas can be hurt in their defensive mode, you just have to use a Special Technique in your transformed state or when you have the power boost associated with "Frantic Mode".

If you have to do that though it kind of spoils the whole prospect of trying to beat a level or at least get up to the boss without triggering your Shinobi Transformation and of course Frantic mode is too risky.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Virtual Reality and Senran Kagura? Mmm...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Todd started off fine, he told you exactly what was in the game and for most of his review it was informative. He was even able to deal with his issue over the particular fan service he doesn't like in a fairly good way. But in his ending paragraphs, he defaulted to hammering our heads again over the fan service. Felt like I was watching a Public Service Announcement.

With Todd, I guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet. The review was enough to get me interested in the series. Glad it is on the PC now, hands are too bad for using console controllers.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Todd started off fine, he told you exactly what was in the game and for most of his review it was informative. He was even able to deal with his issue over the particular fan service he doesn't like in a fairly good way. But in his ending paragraphs, he defaulted to hammering our heads again over the fan service. Felt like I was watching a Public Service Announcement.

With Todd, I guess you have to take the bitter with the sweet. The review was enough to get me interested in the series. Glad it is on the PC now, hands are too bad for using console controllers.
I disagree, in a finale you should build everything up to summarize your thoughts. You thought Todd's review was forced, you haven't read the most informative review EVER.

Last edited by ParaChomp on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yes, how dare Todd voice his opinion on a game in a review. The audacity of it all. /sarcasm
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
My Problem with Senran Kagura
-a tragedy in one act-

BodaciousSpacePirate: "Hey, you want to play Subterranean Animism? It's my favorite Touhou game."

Acquaintance: "What's it like?"

BodaciousSpacePirate: "Okay, so there are these two teenage Japanese girls who live in a magical - "

Acquaintance: "Wait, is this an anime game?"

BodaciousSpacePirate: "Well - "

Acquaintance: "Like Senran Kagura, right?"

BodaciousSpacePirate: "Wait - "

Acquaintance: "Sorry, I'm not interested in any of those Japanese boob games."

fin

...other than that, it seems like the franchise is pretty up-front about what to expect.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yes, how dare Todd voice his opinion on a game in a review. The audacity of it all. /sarcasm

And here he was merely expressing his dissatisfaction at Todd's moral posturing. Just say what he needs to say but respect that there are audiences for the game.

For jesus tapdancing christ's sake, some games are going to be degrading to women and for no reason. When I think about it, not just games even teen movies 10 years ago felt degrading but no one scoffed at it. Those movies still exist, too.
ilovemurakamo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for my copies (PSVita and PS4) from Amazon. I love Senran Kagura. I started playing the games after watching the anime series. I wish that there was more anime that explored the back story of some of the characters. That's how I discovered the games. I found that the games went more in detail on the characters. While it is a fan service kind of game...I'm not bothered by it..that's part of it's charm. The fact is it's a game that I can pick up and play, and mash some buttons and find out how to come up with a super move or two. It's fun when you do get to learning how to do certain things. I really don't care what people say about the game, I play it to have fun.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
I honestly don't care about incest, specifically in a fictional setting. I am still kind of pissed off we got a butchered version of Drakengard because of that.

I don't see anyone telling George RR Martin to stop writing game of thrones because full blooded siblings incest. Its fiction, who cares. I always find it head scratching, how even in Japan, where taboos and fetishes that are frequently so common, but incest always seems to be the line that is drawn. Every work by Gen Urobochi is always touted, while things like Koi Kaze go unnoticed at best, criticized at worst.

Also incest does increase chances for defects but does not necessarily guarantee. Defects are not some punishment from God. The occur more often in inbreeding because defective genes, especially recessive ones have a lot greater chance to occur. In a highly theoretically scenario where two people where born with no defects they could inbreed for all eternity and have perfect kids, unless a mutation occurred.

And Todd should kind of look up the laws, of his own country no less, a majority of the world allows cousins to marry, quite a few allow first degree cousins to marry, and even in the US I think there are double digit states that allow first degree cousins to marry, and no, they are not all in the South. I figured that joke was coming.

I kind of feel like Todd should stop preaching about sexuality and norms, and if its too much, stop playing these kind of games because its not like they tend to hide this.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
For jesus tapdancing christ's sake, some games are going to be degrading to women and for no reason. When I think about it, not just games even teen movies 10 years ago felt degrading but no one scoffed at it. Those movies still exist, too.

Oh, plenty of people scoffed at those kind of films, as they have for decades. You just have to look at professional reviews from critics who are more than willing to point out if something is shamelessly and pointlessly offensive and exploitive.

It was just that in those cases there never was any sort of reactionary backlash against such opinions. Nobody tried to claim that these critics were trying to insult the movie-going pubic, limit creative freedom, enforce authoritarian morality, that they weren't "real" fans of movies, etc., etc..

The medium of gaming will survive just fine no matter how many critics voice their dislike of games that boil down to "boobs, boobs, boobs, boobs and oh yes, gameplay." So go ahead and play those games, just don't try to claim that you're making some kind of stand for freedom or something equally disingenuous in the process.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
The medium of gaming will survive just fine no matter how many critics voice their dislike of games that boil down to "boobs, boobs, boobs, boobs and oh yes, gameplay."

Hmm... Why do I have this nagging feeling that this sounds similar to a certain other quote...
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I don't see anyone telling George RR Martin to stop writing game of thrones because full blooded siblings incest.

For whatever reason video games are scrutinized far more than traditional media. Every preview of an upcoming primetime show you see women stripping out of their clothes or seducing men and those get labeled as mature and sexy as compliments. If you see a video game what the woman stripping out of her clothes it gets called degenerate filth. Maybe that's to do with age differences. Most people in the video game culture are under the age of 30 while older adults who are unphased by the human body and have seen it all dont mind the latest sexiness prime time drama.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hmm... Why do I have this nagging feeling that this sounds similar to a certain other quote...

Yes. The voluntary lack of a domestic release of a game considered a punchline, removal of skimpy costumes on teenagers and a change in a camera angle are the harbingers of the demise of the entire medium.

Christ. This kind of logic is just like those who insist that gay marriage will lead to legalized pedophilia and bestiality.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely zero interest in VR. I don't see what's so immersive about having a heavy pair of goggles strapped to my face. My neck feels sore just thinking about wearing those for more than an hour. I'm old enough to have been around back when the Virtual Boy was a thing and that was about as immersive as a pair of bionuclars. Give me a controller any day.

Paul Soth wrote:
Yes. The voluntary lack of a domestic release of a game considered a punchline, removal of skimpy costumes on teenagers and a change in a camera angle are the harbingers of the demise of the entire medium.

I've seen more than a few comments from Western developers who actually agree with Mr. Oshawott on how social pressure and backlash has affected their job and they feel like they can't create what they want to without websites lampooning them. Comic books are experiencing a similar detriment as well. It seems like it only affects the niche hobbies though. Movies, books, and television are safe. Maybe it has to do with websites have too much control over nerd hobbies given the heavy involvement of the internet on them. Only gamers care about review scores and Metacritic ratings, after all, so that gives reviewers far more power and influence. Mainstream mediums care more about appealing to the mass market for the most amount of profit, and sex sells.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6