• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The Bleach TCG has been defunct for half a decade now, whereas my main hobby is playing the new Dragon Ball Z TCG by Panini, which is mysteriously absent from this survey.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
You forgot Tesla in the car brand section. Nissan leaf is what I'm considering for the next couple years as I wait for a Tesla in 3-4.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I really would love for there to be more stuff regarding visual novels. I know it takes an enormous amount of time to get through some of them, but there are plenty of VNs that have fantastic stories that I wish would get a bit of the spotlight.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow that was a long survey, though I really enjoyed going through it, I think I'd like there to be more articles on Japanese music/art and recent light novel release reviews (although there have been a lot more of those recently)
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
With the increased focus on Japanese conventions, doujinshi, cosplay, etc., it would be nice to occasionally check in on the dojin music side of Japanese fan culture, especially now that Touhou stuff is starting to receive English-language releases (fan music being a huge part of Touhou fandom).
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
For the Japanese Language question, there wasn't an option for "I studied it in college, but that was more than a few years ago, so I've forgotten most of what I've learned."
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Bring back Right Turn Only!

Manga reviews seem to be sadly lacking of late, especially when it comes to the later volumes in a series.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
For the section where we pick which Japan related topics we are interested in, there are a few options available for the "Very Interested" section, but not for "Mildly Interested". I would consider myself mildly interested in Japanese literature, but probably not "Very", unfortunately I can either choose "very interested", or not select it at all. I opted to choose very interested because I am more interested in it than not at all.
Folkstad Ohm

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If ANN came up with the right subscription plan for you, with special perks, what would be the most you'd be willing to spend per month ?
I was under the impression that a subscription plan for ANN was already in the works.

I had forgotten that ANN even had a paid subscription option currently; it's not really highlighted that much on the site.

I don't really mind the ads on ANN, and I don't use an ad-blocker on it. The way ANN handles ads is to my mind an order of magnitude better than a lot of pop culture sites, with their "Around the web" links and similar crap. So I don't really feel compelled to spend $3/month (or $30/year) just to get rid of ads, and the other perks are of no interest to me. However... I do want to see ANN be financially viable, so I wouldn't mind paying, say, half the current subscription price for a slightly upgraded experience -- for example, cutting out some but not all of the ads, with no option to customize what gets cut.

ANN could also use that as part of a three-option subscription pricing scheme, as recommended by a lot of marketing folks: A base-level low-cost subscription plan with very minimal perks for price-sensitive customers like me, a standard plan comparable to the current subscription plan, and then a premium plan with loads of goodies for the hard-core fan. The idea would be to have the middle plan look like a good value in comparison to the low-end and high-end plans, and get most subscribers to go for that.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I complained last year about RightStuf/Nozomi not being a choice for favorite anime company, and I see they are still not listed as a choice this year. They are my favorite US anime company. Is there any chance they could be added next year?

Also, just some general feedback, the thing I would like to see improved the most if for all the pending anime submissions and error reports for the encyclopedia to get processed faster. My understanding is that there will be a new system in the new version of the encyclopedia which will allow people to vote on those rather than having staff process them. I'm personally not at all confident that will improve the encyclopedia, since I'm not confident that people in general will get things right (i.e., I trust the staff to be accurate much more than I trust the general community). I would rather you pay staff to process that information, even if it meant paying a higher subscription fee.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
The top columns I'd most like to see come back are House of 1000 Manga and Pile of Shame. Very appealing columns by great writers easy to binge on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jutsuri

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
My favorite articles are the reviews, I would love to see more reviews of older or classic anime and manga.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
For The Japanese language...
I think you should also have a choice of "have studied it formally in the past"

For the method of viewing, although I always buy anime BDs (and subscribe to CR), I always choose to view rips if I decide to watch anything on BD since it's so much more convenient. The industry does not have digital downloads like it does for music so you have to roll your own. Neither choice of viewing downloaded torrents/RIPs or viewing BD/DVDs quite conveys this.

As far as comments, IMO the most significant contribution of ANN, is the News section as well as interviews and industry information (e.g. Answerman) and related articles (e.g. anime production/credit series by Kevin Cirugeda). Things like reviews, while nice (though I don't regularly read them), can be literally done by any fan site. I would really like to see studio tours and anime/manga production interviews and would be willing to pay to support that. Maybe one of the perks could be subscribers get to submit questions or vote on ideas.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
For The Japanese language...
I think you should also have a choice of "have studied it formally in the past"

Yep, that would also be the appropriate option for me (and probably several other people). I seem to recall having this same thought the last time ANN had a poll like this...

On another note, somebody really needs to go over this poll for typographical errors and consistency. The capitalization and punctuation are all over the place, and I don't know how somebody even typed "Japanese Philopshy".

I'll also go ahead and be honest and say that yes, I use an ad blocker. It's nothing personal, I use one everywhere. I loathe advertising with a passion. I should be your customer, not advertising companies, and any business plan that depends on annoying me is fundamentally broken. Give me merchandise, affiliate links, or a premium subscription plan (if it has some nice perks) and I'll gladly support those.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:

I'll also go ahead and be honest and say that yes, I use an ad blocker. It's nothing personal, I use one everywhere. I loathe advertising with a passion. I should be your customer, not advertising companies, and any business plan that depends on annoying me is fundamentally broken. Give me merchandise, affiliate links, or a premium subscription plan (if it has some nice perks) and I'll gladly support those.

You probably already know this, but you can become their customer via the available subscription and turn off the advertising legitimately for ANN.

configspace wrote:

As far as comments, IMO the most significant contribution of ANN, is the News section as well as interviews and industry information (e.g. Answerman) and related articles (e.g. anime production/credit series by Kevin Cirugeda). Things like reviews, while nice (though I don't regularly read them), can be literally done by any fan site. I would really like to see studio tours and anime/manga production interviews and would be willing to pay to support that.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. And I would add the encyclopedia as well, which is what I marked on the survey. I love the reviews here, and have grown some level of attachment to many of the reviewers as they tend to be great writers with personalities that I can appreciate, but I'm primarily here for News, Interviews, and as much information on the creators as I can possibly get my hands on. I am LOVING Kevin's recent Sakuga articles as an animation enthusiast, and look forward to more stuff similar to that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8