• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film's 'Translucent Extraterrestrial Armor' Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Why are they trying to link this to MMPR while doing such a severe redesign? If you want to make a "mature" Power Rangers (the director has directly said that), why not adapt one of the shows that took place in the military? MMPR is little more than preachy cheese with flashy action scenes. "Kids coming of age" it was not. All the MMPR kids were already super teens well before Zordon got involved.

Oh, right. Cheap nostalgia dollars. I guess in one sense this movie is shaping up to be extremely faithful to the spirit of the original, in that they were both powered by nothing other than greed.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
The problem is Power Rangers was a show that never really took itself seriously cause it was a kids oriented show (despite splicing in scenes from multiple Sentai shows)
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I didn't know Hollywood had rights to the Goggle-V outfits. They might have done better if they mixed the designs with Zyuranger and Ohranger, but that is just me.

even Goggle-V's ugly looking suits are better then this
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:12 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
The problem is Power Rangers was a show that never really took itself seriously cause it was a kids oriented show (despite splicing in scenes from multiple Sentai shows)

in space, Time force and RPM would like to have a word with you, unless you were just referring to mighty morphin
Actar

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
"Don't make my suit green... or animated!" - Wade Wilson
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate the idea, but there's a line where it's too busy.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:

in space, Time force and RPM would like to have a word with you, unless you were just referring to mighty morphin

Considering this is based off the original 1st Gen Rangers (which I was a fan of and watched religiously growing up in the early 90s), Space, TF and RPM don't count at this point. Saban is trying to run the nostalgic train like many other production companies have been doing over the past many years, that is all.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
"Commander Shepherd! The Reapers are attacking!"
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Jhechav wrote:
I think they did great when they actually had a diverse cast, but now I have issues with the costumes. Is it REALLY necessary for the women to have breast-shaped chest plates? Not necessary and they add NO protection. They typically need to be bounded for safe battle! Furthermore, THEY DON'T NEED HEELS. That'll make it harder for them to be active in. Did the suit designer try running in wedges to see how practical they are? Probably not. Sigh...

I thought the exact same thing. That and the super-buffed teenage guys. Mighty Morphin' Power Douchebags!
Dejivice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't love them, but I like them. Its an adaptation after all. People keep expecting to see a complete copy of the original. Even the costumes were like the original, people would still hate it.
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The new suits look awesome, I don't know why everyone is b!tching about them. Everyone being blinded by their nostalgia that they can't even think to give it chance, this armor alien-like suit look way better than the colorful spandex that were worn on MMPR, so people please stop whining and wait until the movie comes out.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not too sure how to feel...
They are cool-looking and do fit into what I think is a "modern day" MMPR, but at the same time they're so far off from the original that my nostalgic love for the series is turned off.

All I can do is wait for a trailer to see these suits in action, and judge further from there. Anything in a still image can look "fancy" with enough special effects and Photoshop. Razz
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:

you know what they remind me of, Iron Man, it's like the designer did them after a Marvel Movie binge

Ah yes you the shiny even more rubbery looking movie costumes that look more silly than the costumes from the tv show.

Mr.Shonen wrote:
This is the bed you wanted Saban. I hope you're ready to lay in it when the numbers come back.

And what happens if the movie succeeds are the fans whining over this going to keep themselves awake at night wondering why people like something they hate for not being like the thing the former group like?
KH91

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
It's like the Michael Bay TMNT movie where they made them look more alien because fans asked for that.
[/Username]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
"Behold the MMPR, the Mighty MoreFanservice Rangers" Rofl Laughing Only mature I see is a NC-17 movie. It's not realistic at all lol, who goes to battle on highheels, this armor weighs down. My childhood is being abused O.o.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6