• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunting for Limited Edition Anime Swag in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
As purely an art collector, it is hard for me to understand why anyone would want to pay so much for items with high(ish) print runs. While that's not the case with the Madoka film strips, it still boggles my mind when I see mass print runs of 30 year old children's manga sell for a couple grand.

Mass produced items are eventually end up as garbage as they go through wear & tear and exposure to elements. People eventually throw out their stuffs without realizing the value as their lives go through changes. As time passes, only few will survive and becomes the collectibles.

Everyone has different view on how valuable his/her treasures are as they just give a happy feeling of ownership. I hope you're not looking down on people who are just happy with what they can collect. You might die next day from unforeseen circumstance and your family and/or relatives have to figure out how to get rid of your "valuable" collection as they may not understand their value.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This kind of collecting reminds me of Disney Pin collecting, which I dabble in here and there. There are just far too many made, and too many exclusives to certain places, for any one collector to have them all, so collectors tend to focus on specific franchises, time periods, or other themes. I WOULD try to focus on pins based on Wreck-It Ralph, if there were enough of them to base a collection around. (I do have the Vanellope school ID pin though, which is the second-rarest Wreck-It Ralph pin after the complete Sugar Rush set as it was available for one day at the Disney Soda Fountain & Studio Shoppe in Hollywood.)

Disney pin collectors are not averse to trading them or getting them off the secondary market though.

Now I'm thinking about those poker chips for on each of the 9 Straw Hat Pirates crewmember for watching One Piece: Film Gold. Does this mean avid One Piece fans in Japan will go see it 27 times?

HeeroTX wrote:
While I appreciate the commentary on the systems used in Japan, I don't really "get" this article. It seems to be written by a non-collector (often citing his own disinterest in "exclusives" and various marketing of such) and doesn't really go into methods for obtaining exclusives BEYOND what can be summed up as "read the advertisements and follow their instructions" (ie. "X is available at Y theater, so go to Y theater to get X"). I mean, for what it IS I guess the article is well written but I don't find it particularly "informative".

I got the impression that that was all there really was to it. As anime and manga collectors, according to the article, prefer to buy things new, before anyone else can get to them, it must mean that they would much rather get these things as they become available. And these businesses (and studios and publishers) always announce what they're going to sell and where they'll sell them.

JohnnySake wrote:
As much as I try to find things online, I always wonder what is sitting over there is some little non-internet savvy store in Japan that sells anime goods. And it does not have to be the new stuff either.

As it stands, I'm limited to what is posted on a website, auction or store. Sad

Even in the United States, there are stores like that. There's a vendor of figures I sometimes visit that's incredibly low-profile but manages to undercut any online store I've seen (or barely fails to undercut them but is canceled out by shipping and handling fees if I got one online).

The thing is that I stumbled across it by accident, so I cannot provide any advice on how to find these stores. Chances are at least one exists near where you're at though.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I find it amazing how much some people are willing to pay for these items. While the items that were shown don't resale for that much, when the Madoka Magica movies were shown in Japan, some of the film strip clips went for hundreds and thousands of dollars. As purely an art collector, it is hard for me to understand why anyone would want to pay so much for items with high(ish) print runs. While that's not the case with the Madoka film strips, it still boggles my mind when I see mass print runs of 30 year old children's manga sell for a couple grand.

A high production run doesn't necessarily mean the used price will be low because the primary factor in that is demand. A high production run will create a softening effect on a collectible item's price, but the items can still be expensive if it's so old that they are hard to find anyway (such as Action Comics #1, which DC knew would sell well so they made a lot, but this was from over 80 years ago so most of them have been snatched up by collectors already), if a large quantity of them have been destroyed or consumed causing the present quantity to be small (such as the claim checks to the first run of Star Wars action figures when the first run sold out, as almost everyone redeemed their claim checks for action figures from later runs, causing the first-run claim checks themselves to become THE most valuable non-unique Star Wars item), if the run of them suddenly ends (such as anything related to the FUNimation dub of Fullmetal Alchemist due to Aniplex taking away the rights), or if demand for the object is so ludicrously high that even a high production run is insufficient to cover collector demand (such as The Addams Family pinball machine, which was the best-selling pinball machine ever made but resells for four times its price when new because every pinball collector and every Addams Family collector wants one).

I don't know which of those the film strips or manga fall into, but I've seen enough cases of items mass-produced in abundance become vaulable later that I realized demand always trumps rarity.

Have you ever played the Pokémon TCG? The card Pokémon Catcher, despite being an Uncommon, sold on the secondary market for more than most Rares and Holo-Rares when it was new. This is because this was the sort of card that was valuable in literally every deck, and to be competitive, you'd want 4 of them, the maximum you're allowed to have. With every player aiming to be at the top of their leagues demanding 4 of them, the price of Pokémon Catcher skyrocketed despite being an Uncommon.

relyat08 wrote:
Not super hard to collect stuff in Japan, sure. But for people like me living in the US, collecting Limited Edition Japanese releases is a huge pain in the ass when it comes to store exclusives. I pretty much have no choice other than getting the Amazon version, since most other sites don't ship overseas, or have those sets exclusive to addresses inside Japan. A bunch of these companies have gotten the bright idea of making the store exclusive only available via a redeemable code, which makes even the Amazon exclusive out of reach... since it can only be used on their fully Japanese language website after all other volumes are purchased, and can only be shipped to a Japanese address in every case I've found so far. As a collector of LE stuff, rather than resigning myself to getting the regular version, I usually just don't buy the series at all, in cases like that, until I can get it used via Yahoo auctions a few years later, if at all.

You'd think the companies that make these limited editions would acknowledge there are international fans who want them too. That case sounds like they just turned down money. Then again, maybe they're too few in number to justify expanding their online reach.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
As purely an art collector, it is hard for me to understand why anyone would want to pay so much for items with high(ish) print runs. While that's not the case with the Madoka film strips, it still boggles my mind when I see mass print runs of 30 year old children's manga sell for a couple grand.

Mass produced items are eventually end up as garbage as they go through wear & tear and exposure to elements. People eventually throw out their stuffs without realizing the value as their lives go through changes. As time passes, only few will survive and becomes the collectibles.

Indeed. But there's also the mindset "if it's old it must be [collectible|valuable]". When I owned a used & rare bookstore, that was the hardest thing I had to deal with when buying books... most people don't realize that if there's no demand it doesn't matter how old or rare it is.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Indeed. But there's also the mindset "if it's old it must be [collectible|valuable]". When I owned a used & rare bookstore, that was the hardest thing I had to deal with when buying books... most people don't realize that if there's no demand it doesn't matter how old or rare it is.

Same thing at a donations center. You'd get people who would bring us an old couch and tell us it's worth a hundred thousand dollars but is actually worthless because it's heavily stained and/or damaged.

That being said, there must have been at least a few who would claim that because they think they'll get a tax deduction based on the dollar worth of their items when it's actually based on quantity.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
I always wonder at what point does collecting go from being a hobby to an unhealthy obsession. When Kill la Kill came out, I had this sudden NEED to buy the singles, the soundtrack and the LE BDs. Suddenly after I finished buying the NA BDs I had the urge to buy the UK versions. I ended up spending around $600 not to mention the rare Comiket and miscelaneous artbooks I ended up buying as well. I kept telling myself that since I liked the show so much I needed to show my support for Trigger and that I should consider the buys as investments that I can sell later for more. But then I realized that I wasn't the only one with this same mindset and as such Trigger wasn't suddenly gonna go bankrupt or the staff go hungry because I didn't do my part. I also realized that even if I decided to sell the BDs on Ebay or Amazon, I'd have to sell them for less than what I got them for, because nobody in their right minds would buy used discs for more than what they originally cost, even if they are Limited Edition. Oh and the fact that they're still being sold even though they're labeled as Limited Edition doesn't help things either.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
I up until recently was a sucker for limited editions for state side releases of Anime etc. But unless it's a property I really like and enjoy I've pretty much scaled back unless it's a big favorite of mine. Most of the time it's only a few bucks more so it's not that much of a big deal.

The article goes into some details about collecting exclusives but doesn't touch up why a person would want to dedicate or devote the time and effort in acquiring such items.

Or into the lucrative business it is to resale such items domestically or even over seas to fans that rival or surpass those in Japan. Their are people who make it a business to track down, wait in line etc or what ever it takes to make top dollar on certain items. So buying more that one can really pay off.

Way back when the first Eva rebuild Movie came out in the Japanese release of the limited edition blu ray it had actual film strips randomly inserted into each copy. And one very famous scene sold online for I think like 6-8K. I too would have loved to own such a rare piece but not at that price.

I just purchased from a guy I've used in the past a Doujinshi Artbook that was a exclusive to a 1 day event for a specific series. It's going to cost me over 75 dollars for something that retailed for over 13 US dollars but I had to have it. Not only is it super rare but it will never depreciate in value so if I ever had to get rid of it I'm not going to lose money on it. Probably could sale it for more here state side easily. All on a item I have scanned images from online of most of the entire book already.

Bought the limited edition of Black Lagoon volume 10 because it had a amazing exclusive artbook that was not sold in stores. And it wasn't too expensive in the first place.

Usually popular franchises and or items that go to them that are in high demand will usually go up in value.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

You'd think the companies that make these limited editions would acknowledge there are international fans who want them too. That case sounds like they just turned down money. Then again, maybe they're too few in number to justify expanding their online reach.

I think it's a combination of them thinking there is very little interest for their super expensive releases over-seas, which is only sort of true(if there were English Subs on more releases, I guarantee those import numbers would go up significantly), and them honestly wanting to restrict it to Japan so that their own domestic customers get to be special by having something not available anywhere else. I can't really blame them for that, as much as it irks me, since they are the home market and it's made for them, but it really sucks for me...
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
When for example a CD I'm interested is released and a bunch of stores have their own exclusive photo or other bonus item, I think it's good since I can pick whatever I like the most and go there. But it does make me wonder how many people are going around buying one copy in each store in order to get them all.
sherri-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
*cough* I do have two copies of the Lemon Magician Girl card... and the Dark Knight card from the week before... my friend watched the movie twice with me but didn't plan to keep her card so she gave them to me

All these crazy exclusive stuff really does drain people's wallet.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
The WIXOSS movie gave multiple cards for pre-ordering (three separate rounds of pre-ordering, and then one good, one of three gimmick and one more good card available in each round), and then one of ten okay cards and one of three good cards for each actual trip to the cinemas: http://selector-wixoss.wikia.com/wiki/Selector_destructed_WIXOSS#Cards

Oh, and one of five mass-printed autograph boards as well. This and the in-theatre giveaways were further segmented by week: http://selector-wixoss.com/movie/index.html#contents06

The okay card from the movies, Selector, came in a total of ten variants which you can put together to form a complete picture (there was a composite image floating around somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now).

I got the Piruluk/Kiyoi version of Selector and Twists and Turns as I just bought a ticket on the day.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
sherri-chan wrote:
*cough* I do have two copies of the Lemon Magician Girl card... and the Dark Knight card from the week before... my friend watched the movie twice with me but didn't plan to keep her card so she gave them to me

All these crazy exclusive stuff really does drain people's wallet.

Comiket tends to drain my wallet sometimes due to bidding on exclusive items. That and in the rare cases that a 2 cour anime that I want is on BD and I want the exclusive CE (most series I watch and buy tend to be one cour or no more than 6 volumes).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote
I've never gone down the road of obtaining store exclusive items.
The last time I imported a Japanese release of anything (bar a great deal on Eva 3.33) was when I failed to finish collecting Kiddy GiRL-and after being made redundant (I only have the first few volumes). That particular series was a nightmare without even having any store exclusives - it was released over 12 DVDs or 8 BDs, however not only was there different cover art from a different artist but there were different extras; there was a bonus disc with the DVDs with, among other things, an isolated score and audio drama which were not included with the BDs and there were extra postcards with the DVDs. On top of that, there was a regular edition of the DVDs which had different art again - if you wanted all the extras you needed to buy 20 different discs and if you wanted all the covers it was 32.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
nobody in their right minds would buy used discs for more than what they originally cost, even if they are Limited Edition. Oh and the fact that they're still being sold even though they're labeled as Limited Edition doesn't help things either.

(Currently) In the US, 99% of the time "Limited Edition" is simply a marketing gimmick for a more expensive release with bells and whistles. My personal favorite example of that craziness is from the 90s comics scene. When Marvel debuted a brand new "Spiderman" book by Todd McFarlane, they had like 5 different versions, 4 different "Limited edition"s and the "mass market" release. The most "valuable" book was the "A" limited edition because it was exceedingly rare, but the second most "valuable" book after a month was the "mass market" release because so few people bought it, speculators and collectors had bought all the "limited edition"s instead.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness I don't care about those extras all that much. They're a nice surprise if I'm buying something I would have gotten anyway, but I can't imagine spending that kind of money hunting them down.

My one exception: when the extra is new original story material for a series I really love. I did eventually track down that one volume of the "Hyouka" manga that came with a new anime episode on BD. I think that set me back about 2,500 yen. Not too bad.

Also, I do regret not going to see "Garden of Sinners: Mirai Fukuin" in the theater. I didn't go because I hadn't finished reading/watching the series at that point, but I later learned that they had given out copies of a new "Garden of Sinners" novella by original creator Nasu Kinoko, which I would have loved to have read. Last time I checked online, those were selling for about 5,000 yen, but I'm not going to pay that only to have Seikaisha announce a mass-market paperback the following week.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
(Currently) In the US, 99% of the time "Limited Edition" is simply a marketing gimmick for a more expensive release with bells and whistles. My personal favorite example of that craziness is from the 90s comics scene. When Marvel debuted a brand new "Spiderman" book by Todd McFarlane, they had like 5 different versions, 4 different "Limited edition"s and the "mass market" release. The most "valuable" book was the "A" limited edition because it was exceedingly rare, but the second most "valuable" book after a month was the "mass market" release because so few people bought it, speculators and collectors had bought all the "limited edition"s instead.

Extra things in the United States are known as "feelies" or "bonuses" and are associated with day-one editions of things rather than limited edition things. (And crowdfunding campaigns.) I think that causes the phrase "limited edition" to have a somewhat different meaning in the United States than elsewhere, and it's the "collector edition" or "day one edition" that has these extra things. Or sometimes they have their own name (like Sonic Lost World having a "Deadly Six Edition" containing DLC or Kung Pow! Enter the Fist having a "Chosen Edition" containing more extra content and skits), or sometimes they don't have a name at all (like those store-exclusive versions of Star Wars: The Force Awakens or the season sets of The Simpsons that come in character-shaped tins).

You do have the occasional non-game, non-Japanese thing with these physical extras, like the initial run of Season 1 of Adventure Time, which came with the hat Finn wears. But I guess there isn't a rabid demand for them in the United States as there is in Japan, and they take up a LOT more space on retailer shelves (and the bigger boxes may be enough for retailers to say no). I've seen backlash against them too, with people who don't want these extras complaining about the higher price, especially when no normal edition exists.

But yeah, alternate covers for comic books really got out of hand. How did collectors come to dominate the American comic book market? Why did readers stop reading them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3