• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Interview: One Piece: Burning Blood

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
What you seem to be asking for is a Super Robot Wars type crossover. There is a place for stuff like that (see also Project X Zone 2, which oddly had Lucina and Chrom guest star), but it's not very original or inventive. The best kinds of gaming crossovers juxtapose two disparate genres or titles to create something unique. Nintendo and Koei Tecmo did it with both Pokemon Conquest and Hyrule Warriors, then Bandai-Namco partnered with them to make Pokken, and now we have Tokyo Mirage Sessions. And I doubt it'll be the last time we see Nintendo do them.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not looking for something specifically like Project X Zone 2, but a crossover like that one still works on a superficial level. I guess I'm not the best person to ask since my knowledge of FE isn't that great, other than knowing it's primarily an SRPG series. However, ask a lot of folks and they're going to tell you Mirage Sessions isn't exactly what they had in mind when the original in development trailer came out three years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo

I know, it's easy to read the comments in that video and just say "the salt is real", but I was honestly expecting something different, especially since they never really put out any information or screenshots until June last year. I imagine no one saw this coming and a lot of people don't even want to play it; at least, judging from the reactions in various places. Incidentally, I'm not saying they didn't put any thought into Mirage Sessions, just that it's not the crossover many people were expecting.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
So far as I'm aware, it's only the T&A that's been censored out of the outfits/images in the game, and then the swimsuit DLC isn't coming.

There's other stuff removed that doesn't involve cleavage or swimsuits. For example one of the villains is taking photos of an unconscience Maiko. In the English version they remove Maiko so it's just some guy taking pictures of an empty couch, which doesn't make any sense in context. The whole game is about the gravure idol industry, which is kind of hard to discuss if you remove things gravure idols do.

-Stuart Smith
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not looking for something specifically like Project X Zone 2, but a crossover like that one still works on a superficial level. I guess I'm not the best person to ask since my knowledge of FE isn't that great, other than knowing it's primarily an SRPG series. However, ask a lot of folks and they're going to tell you Mirage Sessions isn't exactly what they had in mind when the original in development trailer came out three years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK5-EIzDtKo

I know, it's easy to read the comments in that video and just say "the salt is real", but I was honestly expecting something different, especially since they never really put out any information or screenshots until June last year. I imagine no one saw this coming and a lot of people don't even want to play it; at least, judging from the reactions in various places. Incidentally, I'm not saying they didn't put any thought into Mirage Sessions, just that it's not the crossover many people were expecting.

Ah yes, the initial video people keep using futilely to justify sloppy arguments. I'll tell you exactly what that video was: proof of concept. That is it, there was no indication what form the crossover would take. The only reason that was even shown was to shut up people complaining about the Wii U at the time, showing once again that nothing should be revealed that early in development.

And that's before we get into the giant problem with trying to rationalize the vitriol: that it's all based on opinion. Instead of people just saying "it's not for me" and getting on with their lives they need to find "facts" to show how this game was a lie or how it's "insulting" both franchises. And they can't find a damn thing, thus relegating their grievances to mere personal preference and of course that's not allowed when arguing on the internet. And it's hilarious to witness in action because it's just another instance of a subset of the FE fandom blowing things out of proportion and thus making themselves look like fools.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
So far as I'm aware, it's only the T&A that's been censored out of the outfits/images in the game, and then the swimsuit DLC isn't coming.

There's other stuff removed that doesn't involve cleavage or swimsuits. For example one of the villains is taking photos of an unconscience Maiko. In the English version they remove Maiko so it's just some guy taking pictures of an empty couch, which doesn't make any sense in context. The whole game is about the gravure idol industry, which is kind of hard to discuss if you remove things gravure idols do.

-Stuart Smith

Stupid sexy couch!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
And it's hilarious to witness in action because it's just another instance of a subset of the FE fandom blowing things out of proportion and thus making themselves look like fools.

I suppose so. I do know they can be a bit crazy.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
We're getting two black sheeps this next week.

And for my stupid E3 analysis:

Sony stole the show with the games, while I think MS is slowly killing the Xbox One (given lack of exclusives and everything else is coming on PC bro, compared to the PS4 this time, now the joke "Xbox has no exclusives", okay no.) And Ninty while was the worst in the big three, I can agree that Zelda's was their only "big" title (aside of Pokemon and almost all the rest that we knew) that dominated the nets.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
There actually is a dark look on the idol industry in #FE, but from what we've seen it's been censored out from the American version along with pretty much everything else.

-Stuart Smith

I own, have played, and have beaten #FE. Fun game. A simple, but still difficult Persona-like game with fun FE elements. But a dark look on the idol/entertainment industry...? Not... really. It delves into some of the struggles of being an idol/entertainer, but it rarely does it in a realistic way. It's all fun and games, and when it gets serious, it doesn't even go into the more controversial stuff (for instance, Touma is spoiler[ridiculed by a young boy who doesn't believe in heroes. The whole quest is Touma trying to help this kid believe that heroes, whether toku-play or real life, do exist. ] Meanwhile, real toku stage genre issues, like horrible pay for the actors, or negative attention for them in stardom, or ones where adults tend to sneak into the audience and drive kids who are supposed to be the main audience away aren't even mentioned), and then it goes back to being fun and games. And characters really start out one-dimensional, with the intro being as generic an intro as it can get. There is no real road to becoming a successful idol. You look cute, you act cute, you be yourself, you get over your embarrassment of having your body snapped pictures of, everything is done for your fans, etc. --What you'd expect out of something promoting the industry. It seems like it could be leading into realistic struggles at times, but it mostly just sticks the characters in their roles and they just come out doing well when it matters because they lack flaws that aren't placed in their character for more than just klutzy fanservice. I'm not really bitter about it. I still enjoyed it for what it was. But I think the expectation that this was supposed to be as deep into its themes as other SMT/Persona games have been, or that its characters may have lots of layers, like SMT/Persona/Fire Emblem characters have had, really caused me to feel a bit disappointed with the game's story.

And as I said, the gameplay is solid. It's simplified Persona with extra FE-like weapon elements (treated like elemental advantages), but the enemies can be brutal sometimes, forcing you to really plan out your moves to minimize the number of turns your enemies can get. The new "session" feature is essential for this, and is easy to just activate, but when it comes to certain bosses especially, you end up limited with your resources and characters and must plan a lot more in advanced each turn. And god forbid you decide to challenge the blue wild mirages. Those guys are higher-level groups of enemies that, especially at the beginning of the game, like to one-shot all your characters before your characters can even move. And it's hard to sneak up on them to get a good strike to take the first turn for yourself, assuming your turn turn consists of anything practical... Eventually, I just started running away until I spent too much time in the dungeon and found myself over-leveled... lol
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:

And for my stupid E3 analysis:

Sony stole the show with the games, while I think MS is slowly killing the Xbox One (given lack of exclusives and everything else is coming on PC bro, compared to the PS4 this time, now the joke "Xbox has no exclusives", okay no.)

Seems people aren't seeing Microsoft's strategy with the XBox. The Xbox never really do much exclusives to start with - MS exclusives come from 1st-party (which aren't that many) and the occasional payoffs to 3rd-party studios to get games made (but they only have so much money to give out). Even Sony doesn't have much 1st-party games neither.

But what Sony has going for them is that 3rd-party studios in Japan will almost always make a version for PS - and unless their titles have mainstream appeal in N. America, the only reason they were also making Xbox versions was when the X360 was well-ahead of the PS3 in the NA market (the world's largest single game market), so it pays business-sense not to ignore the larger base. But that situation no longer exists: even when the PS4 is only a couple million units ahead of XB1 in NA, it's still ahead. So they can ignore spending extra coding for XB1 and satisfied with selling to the PS4 base. Obviously, the Xbox doesn't have a Western equivalent of this since PS sells in the West, so Western game studios always make versions for both Xbox and PS home consoles.

So pretty simple, that's MS first strategy - if they can take back the lead again in the all-important NA market with Scorpio, such that game developers can no longer afford to ignore the Xbox once more, and just like that, it'll reduce the difference in exclusives.

Independent of that, their other strategy is: by combining the Xbox and Win10 platform into one, since many developers are more and more also putting their games on PCs (aided by consoles and PCs' now-similar architecture), it's a backdoor way of getting these games on the Xbox without developers having to spend extra coding (just the same code for both Win10 and Xbox). That is, if MS can entice them to make the games available on the Universal Windows Platform, leveraging the hundreds of millions of Win10 PCs worldwide as potential market, using the huge PC base to augment the Xbox base. (The same reason Steam became appealing to console developers - they saw a huge base in a single platform for digital games, which is a convenient and easy way for them to get more sales.)

So now, some may be thinking: "OK, so Xbox would be able to play PC games to get people buying Xbox, but it doesn't have to go both ways - what's to stop people buying PCs instead of Xbox; why not make it so PCs can't play Xbox games and keep Xbox games console-exclusive?" My first thought on that is, how would gamers feel about their PCs being excluded while Xbox gamers get to enjoy their PC games but not the other way around? Imagine the bad PR and backlash for going against the spirit of having an Universal Platform. Furthermore, at this point in time, MS first needs to popularize and differentiate the UWP especially when PC games are also on Steam; thus having Xbox games on UWP can entice people to also use the UWP - as UWP becomes more popular, more and more developers would be enticed to make their games available there too.

Meantime, people shouldn't be surprised about this too if they've been following what Microsoft's M.O. in recent years. MS doesn't care as much about their walled garden anymore, mostly because their PC domain has been shrinking (consumer PC and Mac sales have been decreasing year after year, so MS is moving more towards enterprise services). MS Office on PCs is now the same on Macs as well as available on iOS and Android. Cortana is not just Microsoft anymore but also on iOS and Android. Heck, Linux Bash shell is coming to Win10. MS has been opening up their walled garden - they don't care as much what device you use, as long as you're using it with their platform.

So then, the Xbox becomes for people who want to play Xbox and PC games but don't want the hustle of maintaining a gaming PC. As mentioned, consumer PC sales have already been decreasing, and among those, the # of people buying desktops are shrinking faster than laptops; yet people tend to rather not play big games on their laptops (and gaming laptops are even more expensive). So Xbox can be their gaming desktop+console replacement.

Lastly, MS can try all these because globally the XB1 is currently in distant 2nd place, so they don't have much to lose anyhow. So long as they get paid either way whether playing on Xbox or PC.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
well this info on SMTxFE is depressing. I wish i hadnt known it was modified at all but i suppose id feel even worse if it was too late for me to return my preorder
I totally forgot this game was coming out and remembered last week so i rushed(eh walked) to my pc to not buy the Special Edition cause this late in the game those are always sold out cept for ridiculous prices on ebay.
I was greeted with a pleasant surprise when i saw limited quantities in stock and i threw my money at the screen to speed up the the buying process.
After reading this either nintendo got smarter and produced more SE cause they knew people buy them quickly... or the people who usually snap buys this stuff said "meh, not worth it anymore."
I think its the latter. Im not gonna cancel my preorder yet but ill keep it unopened if after a week theres still SE copies lying around like P4 dancing all night and take my chances at it being heavily discounted cause this is not what i expected to pay $120 CAD for, I'd rather spend that money on getting a regular unlocalised jp import.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2