• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Liking Kids' Stuff Such A Bad Thing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting responses here.

Not only am I an anime fan, I also read and collect comic books. Been into the latter for most of my life.

I used to get glares from family and some peers wondering why I had reached a certain age and was still into something considered so juvenile.

"You're [xx] years old and still collectin' dem funny books?"

"When you gonna outgrow readin' dem comics?" (Answer: "Still waiting!")

For years, I wouldn't even talk about my interests.

Then I came up with a question that usually stopped them in their tracks if the subject was brought up:

"What's it to you?"

::Drops mic::
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I feel like even a fair amount of western anime fans write off kids anime that isn't Pokemon (Aikatsu, Beyblade, etc.).
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Article paints this as "social issue" or "taste" but that is not the case necessarily at all. This is mental retardation. We tend to laugh at chūnibyō and hikikomori but those are real mental problems.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I presume most of the people here are capable of leaving their homes. That is another issue entirely.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I know that feeling. I feel like I'm having to hide away in a closet because I like watching "Ben 10" but I've seen instances in the show and indeed others where adult humour is present but an innocent child wouldn't understand the concept.

Unfortunately my late father never helped as he would always walk in and joke "oh are you watching children's cartoons again?" This he said when I would be watching "Attack on Titan" or "Code Geass." No dad, just no.

I see nothing wrong with it, think of it this way, it's an adult that comes up with the story, adults that bring the characters and voices to life and adults that essentially watch the episodes to check everything works at the end. If adults can dream up stories like "Thomas the Tank engine," "Ben 10" or "Blue's Clues" then why should we label shows for children only?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
In addition, it serves as a warning sign. A single, grown man, with no children, watching a show for little girls raises suspicion that the man in question could be a pedophile. You don't want to wait for him to do something to a child if you can catch him before then. The question, of course, is whether those indicators amount to anything substantial. Are they really predictors, or are they only projections of insecurities?

I work in children's books, and when we had a contest at one of our writer's conventions to come up with the best answer for the ever-annoying "When are you going to write a grownup book?", my entry was "As soon as John Grisham writes one." Wink
As a male children's-book writer, I'm in the minority--we like to joke about that--but we're also aware that we're less likely to be moms or school librarians, and write the books not because we're trying to shower love on our own toddler, or dip a shared toe into the water of "what they like", but because we remember what we technically liked about the books we remembered from that age.
I don't write the Littlest Unicorn or a paean to my little darling's bedtime, I write something that reminds me of Curious George, because Curious George first got me adventurous, and I want to pay the favor forward.

Sometimes, something created for a younger audience is technically better, because it's purer, less complicated, isn't there to defend some shallow narcissistic grownup issues (like a bad Sandra Bullock movie, for instance), and is only there to fulfill the child's one request: Deliver the Goods, and You've Got Five Minutes Until I'm Bored.
Back in the 90's--when Disney was still under the stigma of reminding us about Bambi while never having an entire animated hit for the entire 80's, while the rest of the entire industry was following the Care Bears' smash box-office grossing lead in selling toys to movie audiences as well as TV ones--even when Disney's Aladdin came out near the end of the 90's Disney Renaissance, press reviews still treated it as some freak occurrence that "grownups would find it entertaining along with their kids". And then, only because Robin Williams' Hollywood A-list name gave it some "validation" because he was a "grownup" star. I mean, who'd ever watch such a soppy, singing little-kids' movie otherwise? Rolling Eyes
InuKag1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Dude I was still getting to watch Saturday morning cartoons clean up until I graduated high school, I LOVE cartoons and I could care less what anybody has to say about it (and my family ALWAYS has something to say)
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It's not just kid's stuff people get judgey over. For example: stuff targeted at women people tend to get judgey over also. Like Shades of Gray, Twilight, Justin Bieber, or any boy bands. Even if you think these things are objectively bad, people don't get judgey over liking equally bad things that aren't targeted at women. Example: Transformers. I get it, because there is often some connection between a person's taste and their overall personality, but there are also a lot of exceptions. And what do you get out of being judgey? I wish people would realize they should stop judging people for harmless fun.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
There's a pretty extensive TV Tropes page for Dora the Explorer, much to my bewilderment. I guess there's an unintended demographic for everything.

There's a metric shit-ton of stuff about this "Magical Adventures of Mumfie" show on TV Tropes too, but I know it was mostly edited by one autistic girl. Maybe it's the same situation...?

Anyways, people can watch what they want. Adult women can watch Hunter x Hunter, adult men can watch PreCure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
I feel like even a fair amount of western anime fans write off kids anime that isn't Pokemon (Aikatsu, Beyblade, etc.).

Heh, not just Kids anime. There exists a certain subgroup that looks down on anything that doesn't register their arbitrary standards as "otaku pandering garbage." They've become a caricature in of itself.
Vizo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Great question & excellent response!

I was just wondering the same thing and I like how you broke it into categories:
Acceptable, Nostalgia button, Well-written/fun material, & Preschooler.
I definitely fall into the well-written/fun material group.
I've been watching Pokemon since the beginning, not for the 'plot', but mainly because I like the main games and the battles. Though, I don't care to watch their fillers anymore. I'm also fond of shows like the Legend of Korra which has great action and material that pushes the TV-Y7 rating just past its limits.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
But play with a Gundam figure in public, and you'll literally hear "What are you, in fourth grade?"

Shackling, conformist piffle. I once took my Guncannon toy for a romantic walk, and was not harassed in the slightest!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I would not show any mainline Gundam to kids, despite the marketing, any of the non-SD or Build Fighters Gundam series are NOT for kids. It's for teenagers on up, try showing IBO, Thunderbolt, or any of the other UC Gundam titles to young kids, they'll have nightmares.

Can't be any worse than the ones many a Disney film has given them Razz

DRosencraft wrote:

In addition, it serves as a warning sign. A single, grown man, with no children, watching a show for little girls raises suspicion that the man in question could be a pedophile. You don't want to wait for him to do something to a child if you can catch him before then. The question, of course, is whether those indicators amount to anything substantial. Are they really predictors, or are they only projections of insecurities?

Given what I've seen said around certain places including ANN it's the second one. It's almost as bad as the strawman argument that Gays are pedophiles (while ignoring the fact that the majority of pedophiles are straight).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
"Correlation does not imply causation"

Unless some serious study finds otherwise, there are no facts that show that watching <insert> on the TV makes you a deadbeat and/or a pedophile. Let me remind some people how the comic code authority censored comic book in the USA for decades because they thought reading them made homosexuals out kids just because a psychiatrist wrote a badly research book.

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last." - Winston Churchill

Reading some comments I feel some level of paranoia, like if somehow we were on east germany back on the Stasi days, where you HAD to report your neighbors weird behavior before they reported you. The simple truth is that for most people around the globe traditional animation is thought to be a kids thing. It is all nice and good if your close friends and relatives think otherwise (or keep their mouth shut since they know nothing good will come out making a discussion on said topic). If you think otherwise go out on a weekend with a shirt/blouse that has a face closeup of your favorite anime/manga character and walk around town all day.

So how about of showing your fellow (wo)man some deference and not insisting that the anime series they watch are the ones for kiddiez, aren't we all in the same boat?
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that there is a social stigma associated with adults enjoying "kids stuff" because there is a certain portion of adults that lack self-awareness in their enjoyment. There are some adults who can enjoy kids stuff and still maintain a functional and healthy life, and then there are people who enjoy kids stuff and act immature and are unaware of their social responsibilities as adults.

I am 26 years old and I still enjoy watching cartoons, including Pokemon. I have a functional and productive life as well. Leave me alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7