• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Anime Changing Visually These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:
I don't know if this is related to increased CG use or just a difference in character designs in recent years, but I have noticed that characters of late look more...squashy, if that makes sense. More marshmallowy, less detailed, and with less angular designs. I actually kind of dislike it. Characters look less appealing and fall further into the uncanny valley spectrum. It isn't true of all shows, and its very subtle, but it's a realization that's been creeping up on me.

I've been where you are for a while now. I might say every now and then that modern anime is worse; what I really mean is that the artwork is worse. I'm not fond of these marshmellowy people, either.

TBH, I thought this Answerman was going to discuss the art style of modern anime, but it focused more on production aspects. Maybe one of us should pose the question about the direction in which he sees modern anime artwork heading?
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Gundam Thunderbolt was mastered in 4k for the theater releases, the BD ofc is still mastered (or in this case) downscaled to 1080p for release.

Do you have a source for that? That sounds to good to be true. Maybe they "mastered" it in 4K, but I doubt it was drawn and composited at that resolution. However, what about cel animation? It could benefit from new 4K scans.
synaia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Dr.N0 wrote:
synaia wrote:
Gundam Thunderbolt was mastered in 4k for the theater releases, the BD ofc is still mastered (or in this case) downscaled to 1080p for release.

Do you have a source for that? That sounds to good to be true. Maybe they "mastered" it in 4K, but I doubt it was drawn and composited at that resolution. However, what about cel animation? It could benefit from new 4K scans.

Someone who works at sunrise as production assistant on Gundam said it.
Quote:
According to a staff talkshow, it is 4k, but I don't know about the costs. I guess it was the safest place to test 4k, since it's a short OVA series with a high profile Gundam budget.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not to mention that anime 3d is SO far behind western CG that it makes no sense to enter that market.

This logic only applies to top budget titles, when it comes to producing shows for a general 1 cour 30 minutes block I can see more studios within the next decade taking a dip for more 3d CG hybrid style for shows especially when it comes to shortcutting creature or mecha focused series.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

The problem is CG will NEVER (and I really mean it) have the same feel as 2d animation. It's simply not designed to work in the same way, you don't deform character models in CG where you do in 2d. Imo CG characters are fundamentally the wrong direction for anime to go because you start to lose the very essence of what makes anime...anime. Anime, as a medium, is about over-exaggeration, CG tends to give series too much of an easy baseline to follow.

CG works well in backgrounds, sometimes large objects, effects and crowds - but I really don't think that any anime should be all CG. It doesn't matter how good you get the characters to look, you lose so much in the process that it's just not worth it. Not to mention that anime 3d is SO far behind western CG that it makes no sense to enter that market. Stay 2d and use new technologies to bolster that.

Not true. It will just eventually get to the point where it stops looking crappy, and you will stop noticing it. American flash cartoons looked like garbage in the early to mid 2000s, but technology progressed and now many shows look so good people can't tell if it was done by computer program or by hand.
And you can totally exaggerate CG builds. They're just still experimenting on how to do it well.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
crappy, and you will stop noticing it. American flash cartoons looked like garbage in the early to mid 2000s, but technology progressed and now many shows look so good people can't tell if it was done by computer program or by hand.
And you can totally exaggerate CG builds. They're just still experimenting on how to do it well.

I take it Johnny Test is one of those rare exceptions where people can tell the difference.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
For whatever reason, Japanese animation studios generally don't know how to make good CG. I'm not sure if its because of the framerate issue or it's related to budget, but the CG just pales in comparison to any American or Western CG animated show. The only exception might be Final Fantasy. I think Advent Children looks pretty good and Square-Enix's CG/cutscene team do great work. Otherwise, most Japanese CG ranges from terrible to passable. That said, I think the CG for the new Gantz movie looks good so hopefully it's a sign things are improving. For now though, Japan has a long way to catch up.

GVman wrote:
Raneth wrote:
I don't know if this is related to increased CG use or just a difference in character designs in recent years, but I have noticed that characters of late look more...squashy, if that makes sense. More marshmallowy, less detailed, and with less angular designs. I actually kind of dislike it. Characters look less appealing and fall further into the uncanny valley spectrum. It isn't true of all shows, and its very subtle, but it's a realization that's been creeping up on me.

I've been where you are for a while now. I might say every now and then that modern anime is worse; what I really mean is that the artwork is worse. I'm not fond of these marshmellowy people, either.

@Raneth,GVman, I feel the same. I'll avoid using the 'M' word here, but I think the trend towards cuter character designs means that a lot of artists are drawing characters, especially female characters, as more rounded and curved-looking to reflect that trend. This Kotaku article about a 2ch post gives a good breakdown about some of the differences in character designs from the 90s to the 2010s:

http://kotaku.com/how-anime-art-has-changed-an-explainer-1656750480

I'm also sure there's a practical reason as well. Less detailed, "squishy" characters are easier to animate. KyoAni shows have great animation but a common criticism is that it's easier to animate a slice-of-life show than an action show. But yeah, part of the reason why Akira, Ghost in the Shell, or any other big-budget anime from the 80/90s still look great is because of the high level of detail and shading in the animation. A recent example is Gundam Thunderbolt. I think it looks fantastic partly because the animation and character designs incorporate that high detail and shading we typically don't see much of nowadays.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah 3D CG is definitely getting better and better however it still has a long way to go in terms of really blending in with the overall animation and the how much to use in a scene that calls for CG too much can look awful and too little will just make it look bland. Confused
Desa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
The problem is CG will NEVER (and I really mean it) have the same feel as 2d animation. It's simply not designed to work in the same way, you don't deform character models in CG where you do in 2d. Imo CG characters are fundamentally the wrong direction for anime to go because you start to lose the very essence of what makes anime...anime. Anime, as a medium, is about over-exaggeration, CG tends to give series too much of an easy baseline to follow.

"Never" huh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhGjCzxJV3E

You were saying? What the Guilty Gear devs used was simply the basic tools that were available in Unreal Engine 3 for YEARS. No highly specialized custom software here.

It basically comes down to two words: Artist intention

What computers excel at is mathematical precision and accuracy, but art, and especially anime art, is an expression of human style and aesthetics, which is essentially chaos without fixed logic to a computer. Personally, I do believe there is a logic behind what humans consider aesthetically pleasing, but to distill this logic into numerical equations that are indistinguishable from human judgement would in all likelihood take several orders of magnitude more processing power than what is available in the most powerful supercomputing array we have today. Such is the scale and complexity of human visual discernment, something we all take for granted simply by "seeing" the world around us.

So what the Guilty Gear Xrd artist did was abandon the accurate calculations on what model lighting "should" be, and instead distorted the lighting so that it looked "pleasing", basically the style we've become accustomed to with 2D anime. Same goes for the thickness and variability of the line art. And then came the actual motion animation. Unlike in most 2D animation, in 3D animation every frame is a keyframe and the frame rate has an infinite range, so movement appears unnaturally smooth, which breaks immersion. So once again the easy calculations for inbetween frames were discarded and the artist decides the position and quantity of the inbetween frames manually, just like with 2D animation. The result is more "natural" anime movement. Camera pans and zooms were kept at high framerates since that type of motion benefits from being as smooth as possible, otherwise you'll run into problems with motion sickness if the framerate drops below a certain point.

At the end of all this work is completely 3D CGI that looks like 2D anime. All with the tools we've had on hand all along, but until recently no one had decided to experiment with in such a way. If more people were to adopt and experiment with such modeling techniques and use it for anime, future anime could stand to benefit greatly. Here in the U.S. Rooster Teeth has done a great job capturing the essence of anime in 3D form with RWBY. Every season looks a bit better than the last. It is definitely a stupid bet to say 3D anime would "NEVER" have the same feel as 2D anime. Where we are now is essentially the beginning of a 3D anime era, and I don't think it's fair to judge a technique's potential based on it's earliest examples. 3D is a road of constant improvement, whereas 2D anime techniques have stagnated for decades If in 2106 3D anime still looks little better than it does in 2016, then we can safely say we can't develop it any further.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
I personally don't like how anime looks nowadays. True that the video "quality" is better, but the art is very poor. Well, background art is usually gorgeous, but the characters are very ugly, at least that's how I feel. And then there is the flash animation and things like Dragon Ball Super that look worse than any anime in the 70s.

The problem with older anime is not how the art looks, but the low quality of the video. I think many people mistake the two, and if they see beautiful drawings at low resolutions they will say the art is bad.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
Honestly, on my large screen computer monitor, I can't see any appreciable difference between a 1080p anime stream and a 720p. So I just stick with 720.

I use a fanless mini-PC at home, which can only cope with Flash video at resolution of 480p. Having been weaned on DVDs, I have grown quite accustomed to such standards of fidelity. Needless to say, this sometimes becomes a point of difference between me and my younger friends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
Someone who works at sunrise as production assistant on Gundam said it.
Quote:
According to a staff talkshow, it is 4k, but I don't know about the costs. I guess it was the safest place to test 4k, since it's a short OVA series with a high profile Gundam budget.
Thanks for the answer, synaia! Though that still does not tell us what they mean by "mastered in 4K." Oh, marketing!
0nsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
The problem with older anime is not how the art looks, but the low quality of the video. I think many people mistake the two, and if they see beautiful drawings at low resolutions they will say the art is bad.

It's not about resolution, it's about character design. Before 1981-1983 character design of anime was horrible to look at. The lousy animation didn't help either. Thankfully OVAs popped up after '83. It's a shame they're pretty much gone by now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
I personally don't like how anime looks nowadays. True that the video "quality" is better, but the art is very poor. Well, background art is usually gorgeous, but the characters are very ugly, at least that's how I feel. And then there is the flash animation and things like Dragon Ball Super that look worse than any anime in the 70s.

Fist of The North Star's 1980's anime looks bad less because of it's resolution and moreso because it's art has not aged well same thing with Mobile Suit Gundam.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Where we are now is essentially the beginning of a 3D anime era, and I don't think it's fair to judge a technique's potential based on it's earliest examples. 3D is a road of constant improvement, whereas 2D anime techniques have stagnated for decades If in 2106 3D anime still looks little better than it does in 2016, then we can safely say we can't develop it any further.

As a guy who studied fine art, made some animation, and a little bit of CG as student, I think you put too much faith in technology. While I can't argue that "3D Anime" is getting better at mimicking 2D counerpart, it's the artists who'll find new ways to be ahead of the game. What you're saying is like why hasn't painting has not died out after photography was invented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3