• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boys-Love Manga Hitorijime My Hero Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
As3ann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
There's a mistake in the article.
The series inspired a drama CD last November starring Toshiki Masuda as Kōsuke, Taku Yashiro as Masahiro
It should be Toshiki Masuda as Masahiro and Tomoaki Maeno as Kousuke

anime industry should not sleep on Nagai Saburo's Smells Like Green Spirit. I think it is one of the best BL stories in manga form. and there are comments mentioning Yamamoto Kotetsuko but out of her works I only enjoy Honto Yajuu...
While I'm happy that Hitorijime gets an anime adaptation, I think there are other BL mangas that deserve it more. Hitorijime's story is pretty mediocre imo

Fenrin wrote:

I can't think of any others off the top of my head but Yamada to Shonen by Mita Ori is really darling and I'd love to see it animated.

That one is also a good fluff BL story. It's cute.

Last edited by As3ann on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:41 am; edited 2 times in total
genkillua

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
the characters look really cute but student/teacher....not really my thing, assuming the student is a high schooler. seriously, why is the only type of bl that gets animated contain unhealthy power dynamics?? I mean first super lovers now this....I won't totally bash it until i've seen it but I don't have high hopes.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum, Sobe, and #whatever, knock it off. If you don't/do like the show, fine. You can talk about that. But the personal insults end here.
danshi_boy3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for this one ^^ More BL, more happiness

Itoshi no Nekokke should receive an anime version. Is not only from Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu author, is her favorite and most lovely work :3

CrowLia wrote:
Or they could do Honto Yajuu and make all my BL dreams come true.

girl, time to wake up, this one will never receive. Laughing
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

I'm probably gonna check this one out even though I'm feeling very little tolerance for power imbalance relationships after Super Lovers. If at least this was a college setting situation I would be more open to it but high school...:/ Then again, I suffered through all of Super Lovers and Junjou Romantica 3.

"Suffered through"? Why do you force yourself to watch things you don't even enjoy? I really don't understand this. Maybe suffering through one episode, and then deciding "yeah, that's not for me" and dropping it, but forcing yourself to see the whole thing even if you hate it? What's the point of that? Being able to say that because you clearly dislike it, it was crap? I don't get it at all.

For me one common sense rule always applies "Don't like? Don't watch." If you watch even though you don't like anything of what you watched then I feel like you don't get a right to complain. You chose to watch something that clearly wasn't for you, what else did you expect?
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Hm, I was waiting for "...and DMI licensed it to be released in North America" but that never came. I breathed a sigh of relief. There's hope still!
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post by accident. Embarassed

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
[long rant] [/long rant]

Show me exactly on the doll where the gay touched you.

Thank you for this, 838774. You've made my day.

I'll be checking this out because I'm unashamed fujoshi trash. Come at me, bro. No one's hate can begin to hold a candle to MY hatred of me lmao.

And with that I bid you all adieu.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote

TL;DR here is I'm regularly operating under the assumption that this industry is woefully incompetent and still unsure of what direction it wants to take even now as it tries to convince people and potential investors otherwise and a lot of what I have to say lately kind of works from that angle. Call it pessimistic but I've just never been one for blind optimism period, particularly when I'm not presented with many reasons to have any.

The fundamental issue with your thinking is that it's entirely based around the assumption that anime is (or even should be) designed for foreign consumption. And, extending that, the idea that targeting fringe groups is somehow removing resources for more "consumable" anime and therefore having a negative impact on the industry as a whole. The animation studios doing these fringe projects do mostly fringe projects. That's their business. That's like telling a horror novelist that he shouldn't be writing in the horror genre because romance is more profitable. Everyone has their niche, and there's a reason these groups go after these projects. Minimal effort for maximum monetary returns. No complicated animation, lots of reusable elements, absolute certainty that people will buy it in a content starved genre.

ACJ and similar ventures is less geared towards the global domination of anime and more geared towards "we know all these fansub groups exist and put our stuff out there for free and we want to make some money". I would liken the state of the anime industry to the kdrama industry. MANY foreigners watch kdramas and Korea is aware of that. Ignoring that is leaving money on the table so there are many legal options to watch Korean dramas these days compared to a few years ago. However, kdramas are not not remotely geared towards western audiences. They are just taking advantage of a market that is already there. Who wouldn't?

The American audience SUCKS for making money. We don't buy shit, we stream shit. We don't buy merchandise. We don't have the same "collector mentality" that Japanese people do. We are not their intended audience because we're not the audience that makes them money.

You keep bringing up foreign projects like Netflix's upcoming animation projects, but Netflix is not depending on the health of the anime industry for its original animation. Netflix takes many risks but its platform ensures that people will see its animation and judge it on its own merits regardless of how the anime industry is doing.

You are correct in the fact that the industry tends to go towards what is tried and true in both mainstream anime but especially in fujoshi land. They like the tropes. The genre is popular because it is repetitive and sleazy. That predictability is what makes money. It sucks, but it's the same reason that 95% of MMORPGs are incarnations of WoW. It sells and it's dependable and that's really all anyone (in the business of making anime) wants. In a way, this is also the reason there is no unifying vision for anime in the west. Expanding anime to western audiences takes a lot more than having content that is consumable by western standards. It takes marketing. A content delivery system that is watched by mainstream audiences and not just kids who already like anime. And then it takes luck. These are all uncertainties in an industry built around certainties.

Perhaps the growing domination of Netflix will bring an anime renaissance and we will see more diverse projects. However, these projects? These projects have always been a part of the industry. Live and let live. There's a market for it and you're not it. Let the studio make their money and the fujoshi revel in their sleaze.

Last edited by #838774 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
So basically, in this thread, a bunch of people unhappy that their kind of anime or BL isn't being made. Why even come in here and complain? Let fans of this manga enjoy it. Why not make your own thread called BL anime I want to see?

I don't know this manga either, but I'm happy for those who like it and I hope they get a good adaptation.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Come on let's just be all happy that we get an actual "anime" for girls since guys always gets their ecchi stuffs, Don't insist on insisting to why your fave yaoi isn't going to get 1... BUT This is not the only problem though it's just dumb to compare anime to real life situation or how it will affect the mass media with Racism, r@pe encouragement, Pedophilism, the spread of homo religion etc., that's just dumb.... We can see alot of comments like "omg thiZ iz CR1mze and rAeP11112!" No it's not, this is an anime where we can freely watch Yaoi or Hentai. IT IS NOT REAL ITS GEDEMN ANIME and the main character will never be you. Stop pretending to be a delusional virgin otaku.
Watching or reading Pedophilic Yaoi anime won't make you a rapist as Cooking with Mama will make you a gourmet chef.-copy-pasta-yes and it's true, I just hope that some of these people could actually knock some sense to their microscopic brain cells.[/b]
Fenrin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
This forum derailed fast Laughing
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
BL = MUST WATCH for me. I do like that art too. Sure the teacher/student thing is a little skeevy, but I'll just pretend he's a college student.

TL;DR.

Your incessant whining about stuff that quite literally does not matter is so stupid to me. Get a new hobby, good lord. The next time I see you post some long winded rant about a company celebrating their success I'mma report you. I actually should do it now.

BlueOla wrote:

"Suffered through"? Why do you force yourself to watch things you don't even enjoy? I really don't understand this. Maybe suffering through one episode, and then deciding "yeah, that's not for me" and dropping it, but forcing yourself to see the whole thing even if you hate it? What's the point of that? Being able to say that because you clearly dislike it, it was crap? I don't get it at all.

For me one common sense rule always applies "Don't like? Don't watch." If you watch even though you don't like anything of what you watched then I feel like you don't get a right to complain. You chose to watch something that clearly wasn't for you, what else did you expect?

People do things for a number of reasons and it can get complex. Also, with me, "suffered" just means I laughed at the ridiculous shit happening during the episodes. Maybe you should take your own advice of "Don't like. Ignore" and ignore comments that you don't like because apparently someone not liking something you do is a personal offense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

People do things for a number of reasons and it can get complex. Also, with me, "suffered" just means I laughed at the ridiculous shit happening during the episodes. Maybe you should take your own advice of "Don't like. Ignore" and ignore comments that you don't like because apparently someone not liking something you do is a personal offense.

A lot of people do watch things out of the desire to complain about how miserable they are later. Which is also a valid reason to watch, I suppose. Perhaps you should be more precise when choosing your words instead of badmouthing someone who had a reasonable point. The only one offended here seems to be you.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:

TL;DR here is I'm regularly operating under the assumption that this industry is woefully incompetent and still unsure of what direction it wants to take even now as it tries to convince people and potential investors otherwise and a lot of what I have to say lately kind of works from that angle. Call it pessimistic but I've just never been one for blind optimism period, particularly when I'm not presented with many reasons to have any.

The fundamental issue with your thinking is that it's entirely based around the assumption that anime is (or even should be) designed for foreign consumption. And, extending that, the idea that targeting fringe groups is somehow removing resources for more "consumable" anime and therefore having a negative impact on the industry as a whole. The animation studios doing these fringe projects do mostly fringe projects. That's their business. That's like telling a horror novelist that he shouldn't be writing in the horror genre because romance is more profitable. Everyone has their niche, and there's a reason these groups go after these projects. Minimal effort for maximum monetary returns. No complicated animation, lots of reusable elements, absolute certainty that people will buy it in a content starved genre.

ACJ and similar ventures is less geared towards the global domination of anime and more geared towards "we know all these fansub groups exist and put our stuff out there for free and we want to make some money". I would liken the state of the anime industry to the kdrama industry. MANY foreigners watch kdramas and Korea is aware of that. Ignoring that is leaving money on the table so there are many legal options to watch Korean dramas these days compared to a few years ago. However, kdramas are not not remotely geared towards western audiences. They are just taking advantage of a market that is already there. Who wouldn't?

The American audience SUCKS for making money. We don't buy shit, we stream shit. We don't buy merchandise. We don't have the same "collector mentality" that Japanese people do. We are not their intended audience because we're not the audience that makes them money.

You keep bringing up foreign projects like Netflix's upcoming animation projects, but Netflix is not depending on the health of the anime industry for its original animation. Netflix takes many risks but its platform ensures that people will see its animation and judge it on its own merits regardless of how the anime industry is doing.

You are correct in the fact that the industry tends to go towards what is tried and true in both mainstream anime but especially in fujoshi land. They like the tropes. The genre is popular because it is repetitive and sleazy. That predictability is what makes money. It sucks, but it's the same reason that 95% of MMORPGs are incarnations of WoW. It sells and it's dependable and that's really all anyone (in the business of making anime) wants. In a way, this is also the reason there is no unifying vision for anime in the west. Expanding anime to western audiences takes a lot more than having content that is consumable by western standards. It takes marketing. A content delivery system that is watched by mainstream audiences and not just kids who already like anime. And then it takes luck. These are all uncertainties in an industry built around certainties.

Perhaps the growing domination of Netflix will bring an anime renaissance and we will see more diverse projects. However, these projects? These projects have always been a part of the industry. Live and let live. There's a market for it and you're not it. Let the studio make their money and the fujoshi revel in their sleaze.

Hey thanks for actually taking the time to read my post and respond with your own ideas instead of just calling it a rant or dropping some one liner about how I suck. Shows a rare maturity in this fanbase. I think that what's happening is that the Western parties and Japanese parties are just on very different pages as to what they seem to think the international fanbase wants to see out of anime and what might grow it's sphere in other countries. Amazon for example seemed to be hoping for the next Attack on Titan, Naruto or Dragon Ball last season with Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress for example but clearly that never worked out well and it's popularity and reception only diminished as time went on because the Japanese production committee clearly had different goals in mind like promoting some music and just kind of winging it on the final arc with a sort of latest greatest hits of it's principle writers past series plot and character bits. Asterisk which was also announced in the West and was clearly a bet on an international hit having an international game release slated and that worked out even less though really it's not hard to see why it never took off anywhere really so that's another example of the execution on the Japanese end just clearly not being able to meet the standards necessary for the actual goal.

That's definitely the good thing about Netflix, it's working with the anime industry to produce some titles now but still very much a separate entity with it's own sort of programming aimed at general audiences so I sort of have high hopes for it to produce some great content in the coming years provided it picks it's projects and people right by which I mean not just an Aniplex type outfit that thinks only all Japanese late night otaku interests virtually all the time despite what they might claim.

As for appealing to the West, I know Ghibli did it, Sunrise also arguably did it well with some titles like Big O, Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha etc and also Toei with Dragon Ball, Digimon, Power Rangers etc. Basically that's only the big companies though. They also have their own distribution platform through Daisuki right now but IMO things like Gundam The Origin aside which really hit it off with Western graphic novel readers and was a perennial NY Time bestseller I just don't feel they're picking the right kind of projects whatsoever unless they're just looking to market at established otaku exclusively in which case never mind.

As for Fujoshi type shows, yes they're pretty sleazy a lot of the time and I'm just glad we never had to go through some sort of bit here about how the industry is somehow courageous for investing in them (I still remember that Free got this label for whatever reason even though vaguely homo-erotic sports anime are nothing new) like I thought we would. That's more what I was being ironic about than anything as opposed to being anti-gay or homophobic like some seem to have thought. I mean just as an example, that whole Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner thing that divides people, she made a personal life style choice. There's no heroism in it, it's a surgery. Likewise there's no courageousness or experimentation in adapting more BL types stories or making cheesecake sports shows like Free, it's a business decision all the same just as you say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3