• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legendary Acquires Live-Action Pokémon Film Rights With Production Starting in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't see this not failing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

In regards to "quality", sure, however if they can sneak it into the Chinese cinema release much like Warcraft the money can be compensated.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

In regards to "quality", sure, however if they can sneak it into the Chinese cinema release much like Warcraft the money can be compensated.

Or just have special screenings where you can catch a Detective Pikachu in Pokemon Go during the trailers and watch the money grow... Anime hyper
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
The only way this won't crash and burn, especially considering it will presumably revolve around the Detective Pikachu, is if the movie is animated. Which it obviously won't be. I think an animated movie based off the video game would be marvelous to watch.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
They give the west a movie based on a game that was never released in the West.

Gureto daze
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
So this is going to be about detective Pikachu and not about a boy who dreams of becoming a Pokémon master one day? Well they've completely destroyed my interest in this movie not that they were high to begin with. Rolling Eyes
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
TheAnagelic1 wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

Or just have special screenings where you can catch a Detective Pikachu in Pokemon Go during the trailers and watch the money grow... Anime hyper

Fukk I would probably go watch it if they did something like this. Can en Nintendo pls hire you as marketing manager
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Don't know how they can make live-action pokemon not look like crap other than going with something like arvalis-style pokemon:
http://arvalis.deviantart.com/art/Gengar-334476729.

Pretty Impressive artwork. The artist deserves kudos.

[quote="BodaciousSpacePirate"If you're expecting a Hollywood Pokemon film to be anything other than a movie aimed at elementary school kids, you're just asking to be disappointed. They aren't going to take this franchise and market it to adults, and those designs would terrify 5-year olds.[/quote]

How do you know this isn't targeting the first generation of Pokemon fans, who are now in their 20s and 30s? And you can't have live-action CGI Pokemon who look too close to the cartoon counterpart, else it would make the movie look silly and hurt the movie's success.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Couldn't be worse than Dragonball Evolution.

I would not bet any money on it, this is Hollywood we are talking about. No limit on how bad something could turn out to be once they start.

Mark Gosdin
supersqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
This is gonna be a huge mess? I mean what the crap? Why would they bother doing an adaptation of Detective Pikachu? What are they trying to make the Pokeemon version of Who framed Roger Rabbit? Whose idea was this? Laughing
diefty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
WHAT? WHY? 20+ years of pokémon lore and stories and you want to make a movie of a detective game that has practically nothing to do with pokemon. We might be witnessing the biggest trianwreck in terms of movie quality (because it will make some money of the name at least) that can be remembered. We are looking at a Smurf or Chipmunks level movie.

Still haven't made a decent movie based on a mayor japanese anime/game property and they want to try Detective [expletive] Pikachu, just kill me Nintendo, Legendary or whoever is behind this evil plot. Why do Hollywood executives have worst ideas that any moron who has ever played any main series pokemon game? Detective Pikachu, unvelivable.
Lenks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If you're expecting a Hollywood Pokemon film to be anything other than a movie aimed at elementary school kids, you're just asking to be disappointed. They aren't going to take this franchise and market it to adults, and those designs would terrify 5-year olds.

How do you know this isn't targeting the first generation of Pokemon fans, who are now in their 20s and 30s?[/quote]

Because you're alienating the main target audience. You don't want just the 20-somethings. You want the kids and their 20-something parent. Pokemon is designed for children, plain and simple. You take out the kids, it won't go anywhere.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:58 am Reply with quote
The rights machine is accelerating and the cards will start to fall quickly now. How will US Luffy, Goku, Naruto and down the line Kenshiro or Guts look like ? Hm. Will Japanese adaptation be the next videogame adaptation craze, before that one even truly started. A Pokemon adaptation doen´t have to be trash but Pokémon Origins is the one watchable part of Pokemon, so yeah. Good luck, especially with Legendary (now half Chines), but it can technically be done: Pokemon20: Pokémon Super Bowl Commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46tGehnfo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It looks like this is more of an adaptation of the games/concept than the ongoing anime, but it might be decent if they play their cards right.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:

And Dragonball Evolution did very well in China, unlike the US or Japan.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This movie can ONLY work if it's Devito playing Pikachu OR if they get a real damn good impersonator. He doesn't have to swear but he has to be a bit rude. And throw in a couple of 'damns' and a 'hell' while they're at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3