• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - On the Verge

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Is "Metroidvania" used as a common term for every game that has a large, open and explorable map? Because Axiom Verge is a purely Metroid experience. There is no (Castle)vania in that game at all. I mean... I know they coined that term when the Castlevania series took some cues from the Metroid games and turned it into a journey of mapping and exploration as well as a platform slash 'em up (or whip 'em up) with a somewhat more renaissance/gothic stylings with the graphics instead of Metroid's sci-fi/alien setting.

It's a pretty pointless term that's been overused to death, especially when you consider most Castlevania games don't follow the Symphony of the Night style of gameplay, and even then it's different enough from Metroid in the sense you have actual equipment and levels. When people say Metroidvania they should just say it's a side-scrolling game with hidden secrets, which is pretty much all of them in one form or another.

-Stuart Smith
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I remember Pulseman from Gamefreak. That should count, right?

Ding ding ding ding! You win the $64 question for mentioning Pulseman! :D
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2