• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Manga Gets 1st Live-Action Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
While it's very interesting to see how this will turn out, I doubt it will be recognizable to the original product. Too many things they will have to change, too many details that can only exist in anime.

But this might turn out good somehow. Doesn't have to be a copy of the Manga, if it's a good movie, then it's a good Movie.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
^ I'm surprised it isn't any of the first 3 parts.

Thank the Kami. The last thing I want to see is more Japanese playing white people like with Shingeki no Kyojin. They made the right choice here.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
if you knew how good the western actors that live in japan are you'd completely justify SnK being changed to an all asian cast.

this news seems to confirm the rumorus that part 4 is the most popular in japan, manga wise.

Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Meh I love JoJo to death but I'm not very interested in this much. Knowing how shounenish the series is, it'll probably look over the top like The Princess of Tennis live action, or at least has some decent CGI like Gantz. Just hope they won't make Stands look like the MCU Hulk lol.

I love how you had to bring upa hollywood example for the bad thing one; while japanese live action adaptations are not perfect, they are pretty decent most of the time, even good. must be because they make a lot of them over the years, even ranma was a good watch if only they'd used a better suit for genma.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
I think the reason it's part 4 is because, not only is it set in Japan, but it has an all-Japanese cast (minus obvious exceptions like Old Joseph). Parts 1 and 2 would need to be nearly all Caucasian. Part 3 would require several non-Japanese people, including a black guy. Keep in mind, Dio isn't even Japanese despite his catchphrase not even being remotely Engrish.

Plus, Part 4 is where people stop being super muscular, so that's probably also a factor.

On that note, the only thing that would make me interested in this is if they took the incredibly risky move of making the stands ACTUAL actors and not just CG. That'd be hilarious. Especially since normal people who can't see stands are supposed to act like they aren't there.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I wouldn´t usually care, modern Japanese film are a complete write-off, and what hasn´t Miike directed by now, but Part 4? In form of films and not a mini series or two? Good luck.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
On that note, the only thing that would make me interested in this is if they took the incredibly risky move of making the stands ACTUAL actors and not just CG. That'd be hilarious. Especially since normal people who can't see stands are supposed to act like they aren't there.

And that will be shit by default. You can't display amorphic Stands like Aqua Necklace, Echoes (especially ACT1 and ACT2), Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilli Pepper, Heaven's Door and Cinderella by the costumes. Well, there can be only one exclusion where it can works, and that's the Bad Company - just because it's the army of tiny soldiers.
SNaGem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
OK, who in their right mind is do-

Oh. Oh. Takeshi Miike.

Never mind, he'll probably be able to do it right. Carry on.
Ismail Ghedamsi-filion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
It is directed by Takashi Mike so I think it's gonna be a really good movie.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Miike seems like a perfect choice to direct. He's a national treasure, with a delightfully demented mind.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Meh I love JoJo to death but I'm not very interested in this much. Knowing how shounenish the series is, it'll probably look over the top like The Princess of Tennis live action, or at least has some decent CGI like Gantz. Just hope they won't make Stands look like the MCU Hulk lol.

We are talking about Jojo's right?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I've never noticed this before, but Manga Josuke looks like a real douchebag! Laughing
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
if you knew how good the western actors that live in japan are you'd completely justify SnK being changed to an all asian cast.
I love how you had to bring upa hollywood example for the bad thing one; while japanese live action adaptations are not perfect, they are pretty decent most of the time, even good. must be because they make a lot of them over the years, even ranma was a good watch if only they'd used a better suit for genma.

So why not hire actors from abroad? Happens all the time in China and other countries. And I can only laugh if you think Japanese live-action adaptions are "pretty decent most of the time." I think most people would say that the vast majority of such films are laughable at best, cringe-inducing at worst.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Keyl wrote:
The only nitpicks i would have is the fact that both Josuke and Jotaro are suppose to be well over 6 feet, especially Jotaro, but the actors who are playing them are under 6 feet. Yeah it's a nitpick but it's one of the things that suppose to stand out about the Joestar lineage.

Which is weird since Josuke & Jotaro are known less for their height when one is known for their hair trigger temper/friendliness & the other his penchant for antagonizing his loving mother and melodramatic grandfather.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

So why not hire actors from abroad? Happens all the time in China and other countries. And I can only laugh if you think Japanese live-action adaptions are "pretty decent most of the time." I think most people would say that the vast majority of such films are laughable at best, cringe-inducing at worst.

The same reason why Scarlett Johanson is Motoko Kusanagi? It's hard to find actors/actress (especially western and african ones) with not cringeworthy Japanese and with affordable fee no less. Japanese films don't have as much budget as Hollywood.

The only Japanese live action based on anime/manga that features some non Japanese I've watched was Lupin III live action, but then again 80% of its dialogue was in English (leading to a rather bizarre English experience from the main cast cast+Jerry Yan and apparently it was dubbed into full Japanese on Japanese release). It did mostly takes place outside Japan.

That being said, Araki is the guy who is strict enough for making Part 1 movie never get its home release when he feels like the movie isn't good enough. And considering Mike Takahasi previous adaptation (especially Yatterman and to some extent Ace Attorney), we're good, Part 4 is basically just slice of life plus mystery (Kira plot) with stand shenanigans, not as much as battle focused as other part beside 8 (though, Part 8 was way more bizarre and mystery focused than part 4).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2