• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sound! Euphonium 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So the big drama with the second year things really was just some of them left? The way they made such a big deal out of it I thought someone killed themselves or something like that, but a few people left is all it take to emotional scare the entire band? Yeah, I find it really overdone.

That was already implied in S1, Natsuki already said that the 3rd years bullied the 2nd years to quit the band. I think it is supposed to be a drama if we're on board that music is a way of expressing your soul and life and how this thing is, for some people, either life long commitment or retire and be a mediocre crybaby (Reina, Asuka), but for example for Kumiko is something harder and more complex, like, she wanted to quit, she didn't give a damn about music but then she found her love for it again, and she kind of empathizes the feeling of wanting to turn away from what hurts you and reminds you of bad memories (this is related to Mizore) but she also empathizes with the idea of moistering your courage up at your own pace and on your own terms (Nozomi).

It's supposed to touch on these stuff that everyone goes through about their hobbies and interests, your relationship with them. To me it feels pretty relatable, even if in the narrative sense, Nozomi and Mizore kind of come out of the left field. On a practical level, a "it's not that deep" would apply, it's more of a thematical richness.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks that the central conflict in s2 so far is low-stakes compared to s1?

S1 had the club struggling to choose between having fun and seriously competing, then practicing, then getting auditioned. They all felt real, intense, and with actual consequences.

S2 has...a former band member wants to come back and the vice president doesn't want her to. So far I don't see it has a good enough conflict.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
As for the Yuri bait, gender flip either of them and there wouldn't be any question of whether or not there was love between them. If one of my friend did some of the stuff Reina did to Kumiko in S1 and they didn't want to fudge me, regardless of gender, I would be really weirded out.

This is anime...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
But let's take these two outside of that for a while, and let's say they're in a completely fictional setting, if you told me "these girls get together at the end" it would be completely believable for me, narratively speaking.

I agree, but my main issue is that, for years, anime fans have been criticizing stuff like this, labelling it "unrealistic", "pandering", "yuri-bait", etc.

Whether you agree with that opinion or not, I don't see how critics can honestly claim - as Nick does in this review - that anime has "demonstrated a frustrating unwillingness to acknowledge or validate such same-sex relationships", and then turn around and suggest that this show has done a better job. It hasn't, it's just Class S wrapped up in a prettier bow and marketed to a broader audience than just yuri fans.

Please, reviewers, don't make the claim that this show is somehow above the curve when it comes to not pandering to yuri fans. Not only does it sound ridiculous to those of us who are deeply familiar with Class S shows, but it's also asking us to be disappointed.

goatnuke wrote:
This is anime...

No, this is anime.

Edit: I'll leave the criticism of the show's shot framing for a later post.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Valhern wrote:
But let's take these two outside of that for a while, and let's say they're in a completely fictional setting, if you told me "these girls get together at the end" it would be completely believable for me, narratively speaking.

I agree, but my main issue is that, for years, anime fans have been criticizing stuff like this, labelling it "unrealistic", "pandering", "yuri-bait", etc.

Whether you agree with that opinion or not, I don't see how critics can honestly claim - as Nick does in this review - that anime has "demonstrated a frustrating unwillingness to acknowledge or validate such same-sex relationships", and then turn around and suggest that this show has done a better job. It hasn't, it's just Class S wrapped up in a prettier bow and marketed to a broader audience than just "yuri fans".

Please, reviewers, don't make the claim that this show is somehow above the curve when it comes to not pandering to yuri fans. Not only does it sound ridiculous to those of us who are deeply familiar with Class S shows, but it also doesn't jive with the show's frequently pandering imagery (there was a moment this episode where a girl was talking and the show literally cropped out her eyes so it could frame her breasts better, that sure was a real "smartly framed" shot).

Ah, now I get where you're coming from.

I'm not real expert on Class S anime, I don't think I've watched many more than Yuri Kuma Arashi and Sakura Trick because they came out in recent years, not because I particularly digged to find shows of the type; so I don't know if I have enough confidence to argue. But generally speaking, at best, I think that Euphonium is one step ahead in terms of character and richness of storytelling than most straight up romance anime which probably seems new for a lot of people. Inversely, it does carry the weakness of the yuri tones overshadowing TONS of other really good stuff that this anime has shown, and that indicate that this anime is not supposed about whether Kumiko and Reina hook up or not, if they do, great, if they don't, at most we can accuse the anime of making Kumiko go out with the most irrelevant character possible, which really wouldn't be the anime's greatest fault.

The imagery surpasses the text, in terms of impression on people. Euphonium kind of becomes "Ah yeah, that yuri/yuri bait show" instead of "Ah yeah, that show with very cool characters". It's not a cut above the pandering at all (if anything, it's more impressive looking than most), it's just that it has a lot of other solid bases that makes it seem like it does. Also, it looks that good that people are usually pleased with it, even with some kind of questionable framing, it doesn't feel like the show has the particular intention like an ecchi show, so you really don't get that same reaction, I at least didn't.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Also, it looks that good that people are usually pleased with it, even with some kind of questionable framing, it doesn't feel like the show has the particular intention like an ecchi show, so you really don't get that same reaction, I at least didn't.

Yeah, I ended up editing that out of my post around the time you were responding to me; it's really another issue entirely. All I'll say about it right now is that I didn't notice the shot framing as much until the person who was watching the show with me pointed it out, and now I can't really unsee it, you know?
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Also, it looks that good that people are usually pleased with it, even with some kind of questionable framing, it doesn't feel like the show has the particular intention like an ecchi show, so you really don't get that same reaction, I at least didn't.

Yeah, I ended up editing that out of my post around the time you were responding to me; it's really another issue entirely. All I'll say about it right now is that I didn't notice the shot framing as much until the person who was watching the show with me pointed it out, and now I can't really unsee it, you know?

I did notice actually, it was pretty clear, but at least I thought that it was supposed to show her embracing herself while saying "Asuka-senpai said I wouldn't add nothing to the club if I joined", as a sign of insecurity, really feeling like a victim, she defends herself as if saying "What's exactly wrong with me that I wouldn't add anything?". If I saw a person doing the same movement I would understand that they feel kind of helpless about the situation they're talking about, and the way she says after that "I'm fine" reinforces my idea that she takes the toll of everything and feeling like a victim.

Smart framing? Debatable, I don't think it was supposed to crop out her eyes and show her boobs because pure pandering specifically but it does stand out giving the clothing, I don't know if there would have been a better idea to make the same movement without showing it like that, perhaps another angle, like from the sideways, would've worked correctly.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So the big drama with the second year things really was just some of them left? The way they made such a big deal out of it I thought someone killed themselves or something like that, but a few people left is all it take to emotional scare the entire band? Yeah, I find it really overdone.

I don't find it overdone. When you're a teenager, bullying, breaking up friend groups, stomping one someone's dreams and goals... All these things leave deep wounds. Sure, they'll look back at this and laugh at their twentieth reunion, but right now the wounds are still fresh and bleeding. They still walk past people in the hall that were victims of these things.
proper1420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
Regarding when Nozomi remarks that Natsuki is in the support group and Kumiko in the competition group, it's a stretch to say that Kumiko answers in "Reina's voice". If so, Kumiko would have said simply that she is better than Natsuki (e.g., similar to Reina's response to Yuko in episode 10 that she is better than Kaori). Instead, Kumiko responds more tactfully: it can't be helped, the band is going for the Nationals, so the better player has to play.

Also, Kumiko thinks before she answers not only of Reina but also of Natsuki, specifically of Natsuki practicing seriously (ep 9) and accepting graciously her failure (ep 10). Furthermore, the flashbacks of Reina are not from one of her usual moments of conviction but from her moment of doubt when Kumiko's support restores her determination (ep 11). Nowhere in the scene does Reina say anything like what Kumiko says to Nozomi. Kumiko's answer is not an emulation of Reina's arrogance; it's an answer drawn from her recent experience that doing one's best is not something to shy away from, be ashamed of, or regret.

Saying that Kumiko's answer was merely "what she'd thought Reina would say" is more than just a stretch; it's an insult to the character. Kumiko is better than a sycophant trying to emulate her hero. Kumiko has learned something from Reina, but she isn't trying to become just like Reina; from her "that's just like you" comments to this episode's pillow talk, she's aware that she's different from Reina, and (except for bust size) she seems comfortable with that. Kumiko has integrated the lesson into her own character, and that to me seems a stronger piece of development than merely emulating another character's behavior.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Smart framing? Debatable, I don't think it was supposed to crop out her eyes and show her boobs because pure pandering specifically but it does stand out giving the clothing, I don't know if there would have been a better idea to make the same movement without showing it like that, perhaps another angle, like from the sideways, would've worked correctly.

That's pretty much what I took away from that scene. Recreate the scene, but them wearing school uniform, casual wear, or having a late-night talk in their PJs (like in the episode #2's 2nd half) and it might have been clearer. But that small, Phantom World-esque feeling was there, too.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Valhern wrote:

That's pretty much what I took away from that scene. Recreate the scene, but them wearing school uniform, casual wear, or having a late-night talk in their PJs (like in the episode #2's 2nd half) and it might have been clearer. But that small, Phantom World-esque feeling was there, too.

That couldn't have been possible, Nozomi didn't go to the camp; she is not part of the band. I don't know if it could have been in episode 1 either, the drama was more in an awkward phase then and Nozomi being like that wouldn't have helped. Just showing her from the side would've worked but hey, I'm not Ishihara (director of this episode I believe).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
That couldn't have been possible, Nozomi didn't go to the camp; she is not part of the band.

I know she specifically wasn't there, but in the 2nd half the characters were wearing pajamas.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
People have already brought up the "3rd year" mix-up in the review so I will simply mention that and not belabor the point. It might be good to fix it, though.

The other mistake that you may want to fix:
Nick Creamer wrote:
or hanging out on a too-crowded grassy plane

Unless they were on a grass covered flying machine or a grass covered geometric surface, I believe you meant a "grassy plain", which is a large flat area with few trees...

Other than that, I pretty much agree with the review, but would rate the episode a bit higher because I don't find the drama forced at all. I remember the issue being a major part of the background of the first season and one of the major "loose threads". I'm glad that it is being addressed. Also, if you watch the final episode from last season, which I went back and did again last night when my TV reception sucked and I couldn't watch what I wanted on broadcast TV since I watch everything streaming or over the airwaves, you will notice that it certainly seems like it shows Nozomi-sempai walking into the auditorium and sitting down right before the band starts playing. At the time that it aired, we all probably wondered why they showed a random girl in the audience sitting down to watch, but in Episode 1, it shows her coming out of the auditorium as well. So this was all set up last season. We just didn't know what it was yet.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I just flipped through the second novel again, and man are they speeding through it - we're already at the events early in the second half of the book! There were also barely any added scenes, and the only scenes I can recall that have been skipped are those of more immediate importance to the competition itself, so there's a chance we'll be seeing some of them later.

One interesting thing I've noticed in comparison with the first season is that, while the first one went out of its way to play up the homoerotic aspects of Kumiko and Reina's interactions, in the second season it's actually toned down in many places, the end of the fireworks sequence being the major exception. I'm thinking particularly of the leadup to the pool outing and the moment of intimacy during the training camp. On the other hand, Reina's freakout over Niiyama-sensei is even more hilarious in the anime - just the contrast between her usual cool demeanour and those generic anime empty eyes killed me Very Happy

Quote:
From there, the two of them actually got into a lengthy conversation about Nozomi's thoughts on the band. This talk, and the later one echoing it from Natsuki's perspective, felt a little clumsy in my mind. Nozomi's role in this narrative isn't a natural one - it's understandable that third-year students who left during the chaos might return now, but we've been given little reason to care about either that conflict or these characters, and their complete non-presence before makes this feel very much like a “season two conflict.” It's natural for shows that weren't guaranteed a sequel to need to invent new conflicts, but in a show with storytelling as generally naturalistic as Euphonium's, it does add something of a speed bump to the dramatic trajectory. In that context, both of these conversations felt slightly expositional; the pacing of the dialogue and body language were still very natural, but the content felt a little spelled out for the sake of the audience.
That was definitely a bit of a problem in the book as well, for the same reasons - the fact that the book even got a sequel apparently had more to do with the publisher's plans than those of the author. I'm not going to speculate on how KyoAni will approach adapting the rest of this conflict as that would be entering spoilery territory, but I will mention that I did end up warming up to Mizore and Nozomi and I thought that overall their story was even more interesting than that of the first book (though it may be that I only think that way because I watched the anime first - the book ends up being really underwhelming that way).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I just flipped through the second novel again, and man are they speeding through it - we're already at the events early in the second half of the book! There were also barely any added scenes, and the only scenes I can recall that have been skipped are those of more immediate importance to the competition itself, so there's a chance we'll be seeing some of them later.

I wonder if that in medias res scene in the 1st episode will come into play. Will that scene take place close to the competition or after.

Quote:
One interesting thing I've noticed in comparison with the first season is that, while the first one went out of its way to play up the homoerotic aspects of Kumiko and Reina's interactions, in the second season it's actually toned down in many places, the end of the fireworks sequence being the major exception. I'm thinking particularly of the leadup to the pool outing and the moment of intimacy during the training camp.

That's a rather bummer thing they did considering the other times they really played it up in S1. I guess they want to keep ep. 2 concentrated about Kumiko's journey in helping out her band members without having that moment overshadow the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20