• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genkillua

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:35 am Reply with quote
I was really hyped for this series as well and it didn't disappoint at all (in fact, it exceeded expectations entirely). You can really tell how much effort to detail was put into the production-not just in making in look pretty, but in making the skating very accurate. As a former competitive skater that was really nice to see.

I too am hoping they follow through with all the hints they've been giving about a possible endgame m/m relationship but I don't expect it. It would be a pleasant surprise to say the least.
TianShan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
Yuri on ice is a huge wasted opportunity. Trivial, obvious and at times embarrassing. Alas!
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I've been looking forward to Yuri!!! on Ice since the day it was announced. Pretty, sharp, and sexy to boot, I'm happy to say that this premiere has met all of my expectations. These types of shows are the reason I watch anime, and I'm excited to go on this journey with you.

Likewise. Smile

I'd expected more drama and less comedy to be honest but i'm not unhappy with this development (and i'm sure there's gonna be some more drama later on...).

Victor is glorious and i'm enjoying the sexiness, but above all else i'm looking forward to how the relationship of the three main characters will develop. They are all at a turning point in their career/life and i am eager to see them push and support each other to reach that next stage.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Here's my one big question: how much rotoscoping will we get?

According to this article, it's all hand-drawn.
Quote:
Again, regarding the depiction of figure skating, Yamamoto stated: “We used up an awful lot of sheets. Everything is hand drawn without the use of 3D.”
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Pretty, sharp, and sexy to boot, I'm happy to say that this premiere has met all of my expectations.

Says the critic who once said this:

Quote:
First off, I'm impressed by how this show manages to be sexual without being sexy. Not that sexy is bad, it's just that Maria and Artemis' revealing character designs easily could have been exploited in service of cheesecake, and yet such shots are surprisingly absent. There are a couple of nude scenes with Maria (bathing and in bed), but they emphasize her loneliness and innocence over her figure. There's very little male gaze here, so it's more tasteful and restrained than I expect from anime.

I guess being tasteless and unrestrained is fine as long as it's pandering to your own team. Because God forbid that the camera lingers on a butt that belongs to a female Rolling Eyes
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
[quote="Paul D. Atreides"]
Quote:

I guess being tasteless and unrestrained is fine as long as it's pandering to your own team. Because God forbid that the camera lingers on a butt that belongs to a female Rolling Eyes

The difference between the occasional man service and anime's near constant female objectification is something that is relevant here and something you are clearly too deliberately obtuse too understand, but ignoring that-

Maria from the show mentioned in that review is a teenage girl. Victor is a twenty-seven year old adult. If you can't see the difference between fan service of those two characters, regardless of gender, well... that's on you.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
The plot stretching its plausibility a bit by having 2 active pro-skating hop on a plane to a different country and stay there for a significant portion of time without their staff, with a season starting soon. But other than that, the show is very enjoyable and detailed.
Random 21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Quote:
Pretty, sharp, and sexy to boot, I'm happy to say that this premiere has met all of my expectations.

Says the critic who once said this:

Quote:
First off, I'm impressed by how this show manages to be sexual without being sexy. Not that sexy is bad, it's just that Maria and Artemis' revealing character designs easily could have been exploited in service of cheesecake, and yet such shots are surprisingly absent. There are a couple of nude scenes with Maria (bathing and in bed), but they emphasize her loneliness and innocence over her figure. There's very little male gaze here, so it's more tasteful and restrained than I expect from anime.

You could not be missing the point harder

Quote:
Not that sexy is bad

Literally right there. Her point was that it was just unique to see a show that could have easily been more exploitative, but opted not to. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with shows that are out and out sexy (Both of Matsumoto's other shows are exactly that), but it's nice that there's a show that decided not to be. Not that fanservice is evil and only men should be objectified.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Japanese Yuri's hometown of Hasetsu is fictional, but it's based on the real-life town of Karatsu in Kyushu.
http://acepalindrome.tumblr.com/post/151452852993/yuri-on-ice-location
Karatsu Castle was an actual castle, but was demolished in the Meiji era. The current one was rebuilt in the 1960s as a tourist attraction.

The airport where Viktor departs for Japan is St Petersburg's Pulkovo Airport, and in Ep 2's flashback, Yuri and Viktor are shown to be at St Petersburg Ice Palace, a real life hockey and skating rink.

So by extension, we couls say Viktor and Russian Yuri were originally based in St Petersburg.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
[quote="kazenoyume"]
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Quote:

The difference between the occasional man service and anime's near constant female objectification is something that is relevant here and something you are clearly too deliberately obtuse too understand,

Then help me understand. Fill me in, let me know, make it clear, please?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
@Paul D. Atreides
In the event that you're actually serious about learning, I'd point you towards Answerman's fanservice column first (can't speak for the comments, but the column itself is solid), and then ask you to come back here if you want things clarified or explained or just want more concrete examples.

Edited for unnecessary snark and bitterness. Razz

Last edited by whiskeyii on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:49 am; edited 3 times in total
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
I honestly don't understand what everyone sees in this series.

Maybe the likable characters, strong plot and jaw dropping gorgeous animation? Like, I can't remember the last time a TV anime looked THIS good.
I mean, the show isn't for everyone but it's pretty obvious why people are drooling over this.
Also as an adult I love seeing adult characters that act like adults. They're rare.
Also, the show is directed by a woman and I'm happy to see more woman getting into the field. Used to be a real d*ck show even just a couple years back.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
The series has dedicated staff for choreography of the skating routines, motion graphics, skating animation, outfits, and even a supervisor for the overall skating, so I think it's quite safe to say that none of this is rotoscoped. They're taking the skating animation very seriously.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the series immensely. While I'm not turned off by all the manservice, I do think that less amounts of it would not be a detraction.

The animation is amazing, and I really like the artistic style of the opening. The music is great too. Both the opening and ending are awesome. I knew Hatano Wataru was going to be singing the ending but the song was so different from what he normally sings that it took me a few moments to realize that it was indeed him singing. I thought I somehow got my info wrong and that it was someone else! ^^;

The cast is great with Toyonaga, Suwabe, and Uchiyama. I'm so happy to see Suwabe get so many big roles within the last few years. I've been a fan of his for over 10 years.

Can't wait for the next episode!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Then help me understand. Fill me in, let me know, make it clear, please?

They usually mean "there is more fanservice aimed at guys, so it's okay to sexualize guys since there's an imbalance". Weak 3rd grade "2 wrongs make a right" logic, but hey, it's the internet. Everything has to be a political statement.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
The series has dedicated staff for choreography of the skating routines, motion graphics, skating animation, outfits, and even a supervisor for the overall skating, so I think it's quite safe to say that none of this is rotoscoped. They're taking the skating animation very seriously.

Well that's impressive if there's really no rotoscoping done, I'm guessing they must be trying to copy actual image of figure skating and just doing an amazing job of getting all the details. I could have sworn part of the opening were rotoscoped, along with the ballet step Yuri did this episode.

whiskeyii wrote:
@Paul D. Atreides
In the event that you're actually serious about learning, I'd point you towards Answerman's fanservice column first (can't speak for the comments, but the column itself is solid), and then ask you to come back here if you want things clarified or explained or just want more concrete examples.

Edited for unnecessary snark and bitterness. Razz

Why can't we all just agree that both men and women like eye candy? I mean from the answerman column:

Quote:
At any rate, most "fan service" aimed at women is a lot more subtle and a lot less distracting than its male-oriented counterparts, and tends to wedge itself into things integral into both the character and the plot

Was Victor naked in the bath really integral to the character and the plot and subtle? Isn't it exactly the same things as when a male character walk into a woman bath and the girl challenge him to a combat with some mist covering her?

Why can't we just let peoples enjoy what they enjoy?

Last edited by meiam on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 29