• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Anime Promo Shows Alola Region Adventures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
GeorgH wrote:
Guess English TV-Networks will act similar - like they did with XY: Air one or two episodes of Sun & Moon, and than show the remaining episodes of XYZ for the next months.

I really hope that happens! I'm actually pretty excited for Sun & Moon, despite Ash and Team Rocket's weird new character design.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
It's going to take a while to get used to the new animation.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Coolback wrote:

They used that frame in promotional material... This doesn't bode well for the show quality, weird artstyle or not
MadHi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I really do not like Ash's new look. What makes it hard to accept is that everyone else around him looks fine, he was given a treatment that doesn't at all match the rest of the world. Should have stuck with XYZ's art. And it's sad to see Serena go.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
ChrisA15 wrote:
Why? Why would you go from X&Y, which was a massive improvement over the trash that was B&W, to this BS? Ash seems to be acting more retarded than ever, I am betting we will see a repeat of Pikachu being easily beaten by "Rival's" new acquired starter Pokemon and the character design is horrible, especially for Ash who seems to have gotten younger (Both mentally and physically).

Did you actually watch Best Wishes or are you just echoing the "BW is bad" meme? It was clearly established Zekrom temporarily drained Pikachu's strength which is why he lost to Tsutarja. BW is far from trash. It's still miles above Johto and Kanto, and even Hoenn to a degree. DP and XY beat it out though.

Juno016 wrote:
All these people complaining and thinking the quality has dipped, and yet the rest of the industry is excited to see this as an animation game changer, much like XY was. Seriously, this new season is looking to be more expressive and higher quality than ever before.

I know right? The trailer looks a lot more animated and lively. XY stepped the bar up already, and if they can do it again with Sun and Moon then only better. I love how people are using a single in-between frame to say the animation is bad. The average person doesnt know much about animation I guess.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi looks UGLY AS SIN.
ETX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first episode will be a one-hour special.

The one-hour special is comprised of TWO regular length episodes, not a single one-hour episode.

Also, to all the people that have jumped on the bandwagon and keep complaining about how this series looks terrible or how it pales in comparison to XY you really need to stop hating without knowing anything.

1.) While it's still the same animation studio (OLM), Team Kato, who have animated the Pokemon anime up until XY&Z are working on something else, so it's a completely new team working in this series. That, is why the art-style looks so different.

2.) Much like the new animation team, it also has a completely new set of writers, key character designers and director, with the exemption of Omode and Matsui who are returning.

3.) Despite people saying that XY and XY&Z was the best Pokemon anime series to-date (Which I do agree with) It is also the series with the worst ratings in Japan. To put that into perspective, even BW/Best Wishes did better than XY/XY&Z.

People have to remember that at the end of the day, this is an ongoing anime that is mostly aimed at a younger target audience. That's not to say that Pokemon can't be enjoyed by adults such as myself, but for the anime you honestly shouldn't be getting that wound up about it. Generations albeit shorts, is there to whet your appetite.

As I said above, XY&Z did really bad in Japan despite being in the top 10 weekly anime a fair bit. The series shifted to dark tones as soon as the league arc concluded and I'm sure the younger audience would of been a bit put-off when it goes from lighthearted battles to full on despair.

The Sun/Moon anime is a big change and it's a big ask to get used to it considering what came before it. That said, know that all the changes being made are due to it effectively being handled by an all-new cast of people.
JDude042

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
To put all seriousness aside for once...

Jeez Satoshi! You must have really been under the knife with that new look you got going on there, huh? I don't think I want to visit your plastic surgeon. Laughing No wonder he looks the same age until the end of time. I guess I can't really complain though considering it's not like the animation style has stayed the same since Day 1. I mean go back and look at some of the original episodes from the Kanto stuff and compare it to X & Y, but for some reason this just seems to stand out way more. I'm pretty sure after Kanto & Johto, the style changed when the show went to Hoenn and went from old traditional style animation to digital, and slowly changed from Diamond & Pearl and so forth.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Quote:
The first episode will be a one-hour special.

The one-hour special is comprised of TWO regular length episodes, not a single one-hour episode.

Also, to all the people that have jumped on the bandwagon and keep complaining about how this series looks terrible or how it pales in comparison to XY you really need to stop hating without knowing anything.

1.) While it's still the same animation studio (OLM), Team Kato, who have animated the Pokemon anime up until XY&Z are working on something else, so it's a completely new team working in this series. That, is why the art-style looks so different.

2.) Much like the new animation team, it also has a completely new set of writers, key character designers and director, with the exemption of Omode and Matsui who are returning.

3.) Despite people saying that XY and XY&Z was the best Pokemon anime series to-date (Which I do agree with) It is also the series with the worst ratings in Japan. To put that into perspective, even BW/Best Wishes did better than XY/XY&Z.

People have to remember that at the end of the day, this is an ongoing anime that is mostly aimed at a younger target audience. That's not to say that Pokemon can't be enjoyed by adults such as myself, but for the anime you honestly shouldn't be getting that wound up about it. Generations albeit shorts, is there to whet your appetite.

As I said above, XY&Z did really bad in Japan despite being in the top 10 weekly anime a fair bit. The series shifted to dark tones as soon as the league arc concluded and I'm sure the younger audience would of been a bit put-off when it goes from lighthearted battles to full on despair.

The Sun/Moon anime is a big change and it's a big ask to get used to it considering what came before it. That said, know that all the changes being made are due to it effectively being handled by an all-new cast of people.

And the megaton ship called the SS Yokai Watch, it's success has probably stolen some younger fans/viewers alone the road...
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I get how not everyone is going to like the new art style, but the bulk of these responses are just ridiculous.

The Pokemon anime's creative team have adopted new, rounder designs that are very friendly to animators. They're emotive, playful and energetic, and take advantage of the medium of animation in ways the series's older stiffer seasons seldom did. Pokemon XY gave us a hurricane of amazing cuts, and I'm sure Sun and Moon will continue that trend. It looks like a Pokemon series directed by Mamoru Hosoda, using a similar loose approach. What's not to like about that?

And how do people respond? By nit-picking in-between frames and ignoring completely how they flow together to create fluid, dynamic motion. It's amazing how posters on an anime website can show such little understanding of how animation works as an art form.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
[quote="ETX"]
Quote:

To put this into perspective, TV ratings have been on the drop for almost a decade now. Saying XY is the least watched Pokemon series is sort of pointless because every single new Pokemon anime is the least watched Pokemon series until the next one starts. These are the rating averages for the various shows:

Original - 16.1%
Advanced Generation - 9.6%
DP - 8.4%
BW - 8.1%
XY - 5.3%

While there is a pretty big drop off between Best Wishes and XY, the XY drop is more of a continuation of the BW drop. (it went from 9.3% average in its first year down to 7% in its final year) I think whatever show followed BW was always going to struggle due to increased competition from other properties. XY just had the unfortunate luck of being that show despite being (IMO) the best entry the series has ever seen.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Just saw the 30-second preview and I honestly liked what I saw. Haven't seen the longer preview yet, but going by this and mag scans this does look good, not as good as XY but still good.
ETX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="#sukkar"]
ETX wrote:
Quote:

To put this into perspective, TV ratings have been on the drop for almost a decade now. Saying XY is the least watched Pokemon series is sort of pointless because every single new Pokemon anime is the least watched Pokemon series until the next one starts. These are the rating averages for the various shows:

Original - 16.1%
Advanced Generation - 9.6%
DP - 8.4%
BW - 8.1%
XY - 5.3%

While there is a pretty big drop off between Best Wishes and XY, the XY drop is more of a continuation of the BW drop. (it went from 9.3% average in its first year down to 7% in its final year) I think whatever show followed BW was always going to struggle due to increased competition from other properties. XY just had the unfortunate luck of being that show despite being (IMO) the best entry the series has ever seen.

I never did say that XY was the least watched series, just that the ratings it get's each week and for the series as a whole are the worst. There could still be the same amount of people tuning in each week to watch it as past series, yet it might not be to their tastes. They could still watch the entire XY series all the way through and still not like it as much. It's not viewership figures we're talking about here, but how much people enjoyed it.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Annnddddd now I know what to skip for the next few years. This new anime with it's ridiculous premise and style is definitely gonna be the most kid-friendly thing the anime has to offer, which is why only little kids (and some dedicated teens/adults) will watch this trash.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
It's looks like Ash grew younger. I thought it was bad enough that he never aged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4