• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Code Geass 10th Anniversary Event Teases "Demon's Rebirth" — & Maybe More …

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hack5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It should be a new series with a new protagonist,similar to the Gundam franchise
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:
It should be a new series with a new protagonist,similar to the Gundam franchise

But I thought Code Geass WAS a Gundam series! Anime hyper
Darkslayer18

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Code Geass: Donald Trump of the Election

Would watch 100%
Yuki_Higure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm sounding like a broken record now, but...comon Funi. Use this to your advantage!
Mr_SP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
[I personally don't like the ending of R2; it's great in concept, but much of what previously came before it does not lead up to such a conclusion, in addition to being of far inferior quality to R1 with its deus ex machinas instead of strategy, constant plot twists, and "bullshit" (as others have put it) explanation to its mythology. However, I also feel the demon should stay dead; it would ruin the emotional impact, and The Miraculous Birthday already debunked the Cart Driver theory.

I would tend to politely disagree. I think the ending of R2 is fully supported by much of what came before and, in fact, is even a reasonable extrapolation of the end of the first season. Whole essays could be written about that, but I don't have the time nor the willpower at the moment.

I think you're both right.

The ending of R2 makes a lot of sense considering Lelouch's character. He's a guy who, under stressful situations where everything has gone wrong and seems unsalvageable, has: spoiler[attempted to frame a beloved sibling for attempted murder in order to paint himself as a victim; attempted to use a mind altering drug with horrific side-effects on himself and then attempted to seduce a woman in the creepiest possible way; given up on surviving and lied through his teeth so that he gets killed rather than suing for a fair trial; and finally tried to commit murder-suicide by burying himself alive, when he literally did not need to be inside]. And all of them fail. Lelouch's intent to spoiler[kill himself] as part of a poorly structured plan to bring about world peace is consistent with his prior actions, and by the end of R2, his guilt for his failures has reached a peak.

That said, Zero Requiem itself shouldn't work the way it's implied, or is at least missing huge chunks of information on how it works. spoiler[Conquering every nation on the planet, then being a horrible person to everyone on the planet] shouldn't lead to peace. In fact, without tens of millions of people, all across the world, helping Lelouch in a way that is beyond the complexity of any of Lelouch's previous Geass commands, it shouldn't even last the full three months - mass riots and armed militias, for example - and spoiler[every one of them would surely be killed when Lelouch dies,] and Britannia itself should cease to exist as an independent nation, because Britannia would be held responsible for everything that the nation has done over the past decade or two, since Charles' world domination began. What is Lelouch even doing that Charles hasn't? And Lelouch is someone who is shown to be constantly blindsided by things going horribly wrong and yet things go surprisingly well.

So, Lelouch has done something similar to what Charles and Schneizel did, except he spoiler[dies] in the end and they only vaguely hint at what he did, but it still sounds bad, and the series tells us that this is a good thing. At best, R2 fails to justify any of it's assertions about why everyone is getting along, and why Lelouch's actions had a point beyond stopping Schneizel's spoiler[nuclear holocaust and committing assisted suicide] in the most grandiose possible fashion. (Suggesting that Lelouch couldn't truly change.) It's not bad if that was the entire point, but I'd prefer they were more upfront about it.

Anyway, the announcement could be anything from a remake to cash in on more Code Geass, the tale of Lelouch conquering and enslaving the world at the end of R2, a new OVA that contradicts the setting, an adaptation of one of the manga where Lelouch appears, or a HD remaster of the series to sell more DVDs. I'm kind of expecting the latter.
Deynard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:21 am Reply with quote
Sorry to crash your hopes but I bet it will be 2 compilation movies for R1 nad R2. They're popular nowadas, a lot of series get that shit for some reason.
Mr_SP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:35 am Reply with quote
Deynard wrote:
Sorry to crash your hopes but I bet it will be 2 compilation movies for R1 nad R2. They're popular nowadas, a lot of series get that shit for some reason.

Japan actually already made those. About 8 months after each series ended. Each 2 hours long.
ayashe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
I'm just hoping for more Schneizel.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr_SP wrote:
Anyway, the announcement could be anything from a remake to cash in on more Code Geass, the tale of Lelouch conquering and enslaving the world at the end of R2, a new OVA that contradicts the setting, an adaptation of one of the manga where Lelouch appears, or a HD remaster of the series to sell more DVDs. I'm kind of expecting the latter.

There is no chance of any HD remaster happening because...the animation is already in 16:9 HD and has been released on BD in Japan before, not just once but at least twice.

As for the rest, I think your point of view is interesting. However, speaking as someone who has formally studied history and political science as well as taken extended courses on diplomacy in the real world...I'd argue you are being far too pessimistic and deterministic about a complicated situation with multiple possible outcomes.

Contrary to your assertions, it is often very hard to make entirely accurate predictions about future events in the real world. The current U.S. presidential election would tend to support that. Furthermore, the difficulty increases when we're talking about a completely fictional situation and lack a lot of major information by default. Therefore, it is not possible to claim that something is "surely" going to happen, in either direction, with absolute certainty.

We can only speculate. Predictive statements like "it shouldn't even last the full three months" are thus inherently subjective and can be questioned. I'd also say you're not taking into consideration several important factors that should be essential to any discussion about the ending. The world of Code Geass is one where Zero is known and respected on a global scale. Such a heroic figure has an incredible amount of accumulated influence among the population and will keep playing a key role in any postwar context. No such figures exist in our modern history, but they cannot simply be ignored here.

Not to mention how the recent conflicts have exhausted the military might of the major powers of the world of Code Geass and caused plenty of victims. It is quite possible that the masses will ask for peace, rather than renewed violence.

The future of Britannia is also wide open to debate, with multiple viable solutions that absolutely do not require the end of the country as an independent entity. Emperor Lelouch was the first Britannian ruler to conquer the entire world, something that Charles never accomplished, and also faced an internal opposition that is now in power. With Schneizel's cooperation, it would make sense for the "victors" to reach a balanced arrangement rather than just blindly dismantle the country. By the way, Emperor Lelouch had already freed the "Areas" during his brief reign, even if he still exercised personal control over the globe, so they wouldn't even need to riot in order to break away from Britannia in the first place.

In any event, the anime itself implies more than once that Lelouch himself does not want or expect a "permanent" state of world peace as a result of his plans. Ironic or not, he wants people to keep their free will and not just be slaves to a system. That's a big difference between him and Charles or Schneizel. Which is why, at least on paper, there is always room for future Gundam-style conflicts in any potential sequel.
hack5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
hack5 wrote:

But I thought Code Geass WAS a Gundam series! Anime hyper

No its not lol Wink
GarethXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr_SP wrote:
*snip

i think it's not assisted suicide rather more of his plan to make zero into an eternal symbol to preserve peace considering all of those that was in power knows zero's true identity.

by letting zero kills him he's basically sending out the message that they should play nice or else zero will come for them like he has come for him.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Thinking about this...is it not also possible that it might be set in the far future long past the events that transpired in code gease? i mean sure Lelouch might have made the world at peace with his suppose death but it does not mean it will last.

Also C.C has the code of immortality and if Lelouch got the code of immortality from his father...it could explain why he would appear in a new series..and if it is set in the far future. it won't really pose much of a problem for what he did in code geasse.
Mr_SP

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
i think it's not assisted suicide rather more of his plan to make zero into an eternal symbol to preserve peace considering all of those that was in power knows zero's true identity.

by letting zero kills him he's basically sending out the message that they should play nice or else zero will come for them like he has come for him.

That doesn't make much sense at all. Lelouch was trying to turn Zero into a symbol, but "Zero" was unsuccessful at changing or stopping Lelouch in the first place, or anyone who came before, so even the average person should know that Zero is limited. All of the people in power who knew Zero's identity, also know that Zero is human, not a miraculous person, and, very importantly, completely untrustworthy.

And finally, Lelouch had Suzaku kill him to promote Zero, but Zero is just a symbol. People believe in it, but Lelouch did horrible things to inflate a symbol that was never real. Suzaku is not a leader, politician, or strategist, and so he can't perform feats on Zero's level. Without Lelouch, Zero is now at it's weakest: a tool of those in power, just like Suzaku was.

In comparison to Lelouch not being evil, I can't see how it benefits people enough to be worth the whole "successful evil overlord" spiel.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr_SP wrote:
That doesn't make much sense at all. Lelouch was trying to turn Zero into a symbol, but "Zero" was unsuccessful at changing or stopping Lelouch in the first place, or anyone who came before, so even the average person should know that Zero is limited. All of the people in power who knew Zero's identity, also know that Zero is human, not a miraculous person, and, very importantly, completely untrustworthy.

My reply to all this is that we have to take into account the inherent theatricality of Zero's performances as well as that of Code Geass as story/universe/product.

Zero was already believed to be dead once before and he still came back at the start of the second season. Having him return in spectacular fashion to defeat Emperor Lelouch is rather fitting in terms of modus operandi. It doesn't weaken Zero's public image at all but, on the contrary, helps makes it far stronger.

Knowing the real identity of the "old" Zero is effectively useless now. But even then, the "people in power" you're speaking about are: a) not too many in the first place. b) not cynical enough when left to their own devices (the more skeptical and/or malicious individuals are either dead or neutralized). In fact, the "new" Zero has just literally saved a whole bunch of them from being executed by the previous one. Even if they ended up distrusting the original Zero, that is ultimately irrelevant under the new status quo.

Quote:
And finally, Lelouch had Suzaku kill him to promote Zero, but Zero is just a symbol. People believe in it, but Lelouch did horrible things to inflate a symbol that was never real. Suzaku is not a leader, politician, or strategist, and so he can't perform feats on Zero's level. Without Lelouch, Zero is now at it's weakest: a tool of those in power, just like Suzaku was.

There are at least two apparent flaws with this reasoning:

a) Suzaku can carry out plenty of great feats which Lelouch never could. Less of a strategist, yes, but more of a ground-level Batman-esque vigilante who can actually fight. Military interventions and other types of traditionally heroic activities should be easier for him.

b) Given his own personal experience in dealing with the original Zero (and working together with Lelouch later) plus having the obligatory support of Schneizel, Suzaku does have various ways to compensate for his initial lack of strategic/political focus.

There are very different types of leaders in real life and the new Zero doesn't have to be exactly the same type of figure as the previous one, especially considering that the world has changed and there is no need to rebel against Britannia. Even Lelouch would have shifted his methods if he had continued to play the role of Zero after the fact.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The thing with Code Geass is that the show stand as a whole, there can not be prequels or sequels, because they would miss some of the important part of the show. A prequel would miss the mecha genre. It's not too bad for a manga or something like that, but as a show, the mecha is a good part of Code Geass. Supress it, and the show won't be the same. Plus even if you did, you would know how it would end.
On the other hand, we can't have a sequel, since the cult is dead. What would be Code Geass without the Geass. C.C. is still there, but involving her, even only by saying she gave her Code to someone else would ruin the developpment in her character. And they would have to give a clear answer to Lelouch situation.

So at best, it's gonna be an OAV, or a special with code geass characters in a story that fit nowhere in the code geass timeline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3